Just picked up my '02 NSX - HELP!

Ok, after a few weeks of contemplation and deciding M3 vs NSX, I finally decided to go ahead with the purchase of an '02 NSX. Red w/Red Leather (nice combo, actually), 6spd, and only 10k miles.

Finally got the car today, and unfortunately (here in Northern NJ) the weather really sucks - it's been raining non stop since this afternoon. But in the breaks in between the rain, I was able to take it out onto a major highway locally and toy around a little.

I'm like a kid in a candy store when I merge onto the highway, expecting the car to really take off - and it does, and I'm impressed. The engine sound is breathtaking - nothing like that mid engined V6 coming from behind your head. I'm shifting gears, but I'm not really too into the "have no clue what gear you're in" 6 speed. Sure, it's a tight gearbox, but I had a SSK in my M3 - the difference was I ALWAYS knew what gear I was in (and going in). Not a big fan of that.. but still, ok...

Now the handling - I decide to (no one was really around, so it was OK) do some quick lane changes - to see how the car reacts and get a feel for it at higher speeds. This is where I am at a loss - the car feels VERY loose at high speeds. The steering feels numb, and the car seems to "wallow" over small bumps and imperfections in the road. I let a friend of mine drive it to see if it was "just me" and he said the car kinda "feels old". (the car only has 10k miles on it). I wasn't sure, so I figured maybe the tire pressures were off - checked those and they were fine. The only issue with the tires is the fact that car has a set of Falken tires on it - the guy just put them on before the sale. They're brand new, so I wouldn't think that's what's causing it, but the car doesn't seem "planted" to me. Over smooth pavement, switching lanes (at around 70mph) feels like the front end turns, then a second later, the rear follows - very disconcerting and something I'm not used to coming out of my '01 E46 M3 - so bad in fact, that I was a little weary about taking an offramp at double the limit (70mph). But of course, I did anyway, and what to my wondering surprise, it seems that the steering assist completely goes away and I'm now faced with a steering wheel that half a second ago was turning nicely and has now decided it wants some SERIOUS effort to turn anymore - this is a very non-linear and abrupt changeover, by the way.

Can someone tell me what gives? Where is this wonderful world of NSX handling? I've seen the videos of the NSX-R on the track, I know the car is capable, I've heard all the rage - but this car is just not impressing me.

FWIW - The car is going into a local Acura dealer on Tuesday for a complete checkover, but I'm almost embarassed to let anyone else drive it until I figure out what the problem is. Could it be the tires? I can't understand it... any factory issues with '02 suspensions (maybe bad bushings in the control arms or sway arms?) Any big changes to the suspension for '02? Does it just need a good alignment? Should I change the tires? QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS?

Any local Acura NSX owners willing to meet with me and test drive my car? and maybe let me drive theirs, to see if there is much difference or if it's just me?

HELP!

-Ted
'02 Red NSX

You need to switch back to the OEM tires. The difference is significant. I switched from OEM to a higher mileage tire and although the car still handles way better than most, I lost that "schizo banshee balancing on the edge of a razor blade" feeling.... if you get my drift.;) Also, as Chris suggested, make sure the car is aligned correctly.

There are no issues with the 02' suspension unless mods have been done that have screwed with the geometry. Never heard anyone complain about the gearbox, it could just be that one get so used to their previous car that anything new just feels foreign. I'm sure you will adjust quickly. Enjoy and welcome to Prime!

As many will tell you, tires can play a great role in Nsx handling. When I first put on my Oem Bridgestones the first day of Nsxpo, the handling felt very ackward. Much like yours, I felt like the car was not planted and did not take any hard corners. After driving up to Ny from NJ (~300 miles), the handling slowly got better.

You might wanna consider Oem's or let your tires break in a little more.

Most likely it's tire squirm.
Brand new tires will give you the exact symptoms you are seeing.
I had the exact same thing happen with Bridgestone S03's.
It took about 500 miles of driving to wear off the chemicals that are on there to preserve the tire (I'm guessing here, but that's the gist of it).

Give them 600 or 700 miles and then see how they handle.
If they still are no good, get a set of S03's and keep these tires as spares.
Note that you will have the same problem initially with the S03's, but then they are fantastic.

Thank you to everyone - I think I'm going to purchase a set of Bridgestone RE040's (they say they are the OEM tires for the car).

I'm sure I can check the FAQ, but what are the recommeded tire pressures?

-Ted
'02 Red NSX

Ted,
Congrats on your new car and welcome to the community!

I've been told that tire manufacturers use a "release agent" when producing the tires and that can take as many as 500 miles to fully wear off. I have experienced the same unsettled feeling in my car while on brand new Bridgestones. Fear not, getting the new oem tires and breaking them in will reveal one of the sweetest handling cars ever made for public consumption! You may want to consider a HPDE to really give yourself an opportunity to learn of your car's capabilities. Best of luck to you.

ted, congrats on your purchase. Im at bridgewater acura and if you want us to check out your ride -just stop on in.

TampaBayNSX-R said:
I've been told that tire manufacturers use a "release agent" when producing the tires and that can take as many as 500 miles to fully wear off.
The same is true in the manufacture of inner tubes; it keeps the rubber from sticking to the mold. Some of it remains on the surface of the molded product. If you've ever patched a bicycle inner tube, you know that the first step is to abrade the surface of the tube where the patch is to go on. That's to remove the layer of mold release compound (otherwise the patch wouldn't stick well).

i've had both bridgestone and yokohama and i way prefer the yoko's. they seem much stickier to the road than the bridgestones. but i haven't had the bridgestones in many years.

levytv said:
i've had both bridgestone and yokohama and i way prefer the yoko's. they seem much stickier to the road than the bridgestones. but i haven't had the bridgestones in many years.

I've tried both back to back on 16/17s and wholeheartedly agree, but they are not an option on 17/17 to the best of my knowledge.

To the original poster, I'll chime in with the rest of folks here and say that you need an alignment &/or some decent tires. If possible, arrange a bolt up swap with a local member w OEM tires. I think you'll really feel the difference.

There is an off chance I might be moving back to N. Jersey in the quasi-near future. You're welcome to try mine when/if it gets there.

Thanks to everyone that responded - this board is really great and very informative. (big change from the M3 boards). I drove my M3 for the last time these past 2 days and to be honest, the handling of that car was just plain awesome. It changed direction so quickly, with minimal steering input - completely different and much more confidence inspiring than the NSX.

But, on a good note, this weekend I did get a chance to wring out the NSX a little more on some back roads, and subjectively, I've pretty much determined the car does handle incredibly. Whereas the M3 would stick like glue but at the limit just break loose if you pushed it too hard, the NSX feels more controlled and balanced, and you can easily tell where the limit is. I guess the biggest difference is in the steering - the NSX steering is, comparitvely, just heavier (aka no power steering). It also takes a lot more steering input than the M3.

I've pretty much made the decision that I'm going to just outright purchase the Bridgestone RE040's (the OEM tire for my '02) and have them mounted ASAP. Aside from that, I'm considering doing some NSX-R upgrades - after searching and reading some of the posts regarding the NSX-R sway bars and chassis braces, I think I'm doing those first and see how I like them. I'm also considering doing the NSX-R suspension, especially now that winter is here and I won't be driving the car.

Anyone have any good repair/upgrade shops in the Northern NJ area with specific expertise in NSX's?

Save yourself some money and go ahead and buy new rims and tires. After seeing all the nice wheel packages on NSXprime, it is a for sure upgrade you will want. Look to the market section for some great deals. I am going to shut up, I am starting to sound like a commercial....good luck, and welcome to the elite group of guys/gals...Brent :)

get good tires and a wheel alignment. also make sure the alignment is done following the correct procedures, not just someone setting the toe. make sure the set the tire pressures before they start the alignment.

Talk to LarryB. Get tires and an alignment first. If that doesn't do it for you, I believe my next stop would be the shocks/springs/sways.

OEM tires are the difference between night and day. I was running OEM tires on mine and then switched to non OEM. What a mistake that was. When you do put OEM tires on lets us know what you think.

That hole is where the machine guns are!!! NSX is the first true vehicle that embraces road rage!!!! :D

The 97+ model years in OEM set up do tend to have some wondering in the steering especially around 60-80 mph this with OEM tires, and alignment within specs.

Aftermarket sway bars make a difference (especially on the stiffest setting); the Type R brace - even the one in front of the radiator alone - makes an equal difference. The two together literally eliminate the symptom. We are in final testing mode of the Type R lower barce (near the sway bar) on 97+ years.

HTH. YMMV.

Back