Just picked up a 91' need help...

Well I just picked up my first nsx, Its a 91 black on black with 59k miles.
alright I want to do a pretty decent tune up... oil,plugs etc...
but my question is I noticed that the car only will rev out to 7500 7600 ish rpm's and hits rev limit? no cel and yes the car was warm...
Like I said I just picked it up and went to work so I have not had a chance to plug a scanner in it...

Automatic, 5 Speed?

Location?

Is there a record of last major tune up such as T-Belt and Water Pumps?

5 speed. all records have been done buy the dealership. the 60k mark tune up hasn't been done yet...
Most NSX service intervals are based on mileage and time. The 60K services are every 60K miles or 4 years, whichever comes first. On a '91, they should have been done four times by now.

If it still has the original timing belt (recommended for replacement after 90K miles or 6 years, whichever comes first), replace it, along with the water pump. And replacing all the cooling system hoses is a good idea, too (even though there is no recommended service interval other than inspecting them).

Thanks guys. but I do know this i have owned a few honda's ;). the TB, WP will be done. but what i am more trying to figure out is why it is not fully reving out... i mean if it was my teg it would of thrown a cel and thats why it wouldnt rev...

Bad temp sensor. There are two of them in the NSX, one for the gauge and another for the ECU. The dash gauge will be working yet the ECU can still "think" the engine is cold.

Is the ECU throwing any codes?

Thanks guys. but I do know this i have owned a few honda's ;). the TB, WP will be done. but what i am more trying to figure out is why it is not fully reving out... i mean if it was my teg it would of thrown a cel and thats why it wouldnt rev...

I think you should be WAAAAAYYY less concerned about those last few hundred revs than you should about breaking a 16 year old timing belt while doing so!!!!!!!

I think you should be WAAAAAYYY less concerned about those last few hundred revs than you should about breaking a 16 year old timing belt while doing so!!!!!!!

Exactly. I've worked on many Honda's but only 1 honda has a 20-30k$ engine. I'd also suggest getting the FULL tb job done before driving the car too hard. The car is built to last but the timing belt that was supposed to replace the current timing belt should have already been replaced if you get my drift.

Odds are it's not related to your problems but theoretically the belt could be off a tooth etc. and you don't want to find out the hard way.

I think the consensus is to do the TB/WP and then diagnose the rev limit issue... It is probably a sensor. I'd spend the extra $$ and change ALL the fluids also...

If it was mine I'd flatbed it to the shop without running it another minute on that old belt.
I'm serious.

If you do a TB/WP, then I suggest throwing on a cam sensor as well. They leak as mine just started. Though it may not be a huge issue right now, it does set behind one of the cam gears from what I'm told.

Back