Just looking @ early NSX 4 Sale in NY

Just looked as best I can @ an 92 NSX . Looks and runs great and listed 4 sale on ebay . Good seller , has plates and isurance but inspection expired last Nov . Was'nt able to drive as weather is bad , car in garage but clutch felt great . Has a snap ring replacement , I saw the dealer reciept for that and clutch . What else am I looking for ? Everthing works , all power and gauges , sounds quite , nothing going on there . Coming out of a C-5 and this is different & new to me .

If you search you would find a pile of info on cars like this and their appropriate lists of things to do. More importantly on a 92 is what has the current owner done over the years? How many owners have there been? Any damage - paint work? How many miles on it - how does the interior look as in SEATS? Check for the following and when these things were done and if they haven't been consider it a list for you to do! Take the sale price and put about a min. of 5k to the side to take care of maintenance. You'll need to do that if it hasn't been and most usually it's for sale with some list of "deferred maintenance" and you can almost bet on it!!!! So get ready to do some "leather slappin"! Or judge how much you are willing to do for a 92 and if the list is too daunting - think long and hard about buying one for more money that is a later model with less things needed! Sometimes it's worth it unless you are a mechanic or serious DIYer! As follows:

Timing Belt/Water Pump, hoses - all 21 of em if it's manual
check the bushings and shocks for squeaks- replacement is over 1000 for new
Oil/all fluids/valve adjustment, brake flush, ABS inspection, AC inspection -make damn sure it works and all the fan speeds,etc - big money there, check the radio and speakers for operation - BrianK on this site can do a lot to repair that, check the tires, make sure all stock parts are there if they've been replaced by after market stuff, check the brakes, make sure that the Master cylinder and slave cylinder was replaced when the clutch was done. GET A PPI for SURE!!!! From a reputable independant and there are several up there.

Remember the above list is at least 5000 and maybe a lot more - always on cars this old schedule 5 to 7k in hold backs for maintenance items that need attention! Then think of the purchase price - put that on top of it and think about whether you are comfortable with that much in a 92? It's not an easy question to answer. Those that think the purchase price is it cause it's a Honda are usually in for a RUDE AWAKENING!!!! :eek: Believe me I know - I bought a 91 this summer! Maybe you are lucky and this guy has done all this within the last few years and if so it may be a really good one! Give us a list of things that you found to have been done by the PO for maintenance....we can help you more if we have som information.

Others will add to this list I assure you - so wait for it! :wink:

Owner has a dealer reciept for $4k on the snap ring issue only 5k miles ago . Dealer serviced car ( checked with dealer & service advisor ) and all parts are Acura , even the car battery is dealer battery . I've owned a few Corvette's and know about $ repair, buying an NSX does'nt scare me as much . Thanks for all the info but I"m realistic and know any used car needs care . Thanks future owner or a Supercar (for less then a used Accord ! ).

Owner has a dealer reciept for $4k on the snap ring issue only 5k miles ago . Dealer serviced car ( checked with dealer & service advisor ) and all parts are Acura , even the car battery is dealer battery .

This does not mean that it was done correctly .... Do a search for snap ring fix and see what the correct repair would be and if you need anything done I highly recommend LarryB who is a member here and also the NSXCA preisdent

Listen to Tim. I just went through this too with my 91. About $4000 into the car on top of purchase and I had full service records.

Condensed list:

1. Coolant hoses (all 23) (make sure replaced)
2. Timing belt/Water pump service (within last 6 yrs or 90k miles)
3. A/C compressor, clutch, condensers and control board (make sure working and no leaks)
4. Clutch master and slave cylinders (look for leaks in driver footwell)
5. ABS system (make sure works and can hold pressure)

If you search you would find a pile of info on cars like this and their appropriate lists of things to do. More importantly on a 92 is what has the current owner done over the years? How many owners have there been? Any damage - paint work? How many miles on it - how does the interior look as in SEATS? Check for the following and when these things were done and if they haven't been consider it a list for you to do! Take the sale price and put about a min. of 5k to the side to take care of maintenance. You'll need to do that if it hasn't been and most usually it's for sale with some list of "deferred maintenance" and you can almost bet on it!!!! So get ready to do some "leather slappin"! Or judge how much you are willing to do for a 92 and if the list is too daunting - think long and hard about buying one for more money that is a later model with less things needed! Sometimes it's worth it unless you are a mechanic or serious DIYer! As follows:

Timing Belt/Water Pump, hoses - all 21 of em if it's manual
check the bushings and shocks for squeaks- replacement is over 1000 for new
Oil/all fluids/valve adjustment, brake flush, ABS inspection, AC inspection -make damn sure it works and all the fan speeds,etc - big money there, check the radio and speakers for operation - BrianK on this site can do a lot to repair that, check the tires, make sure all stock parts are there if they've been replaced by after market stuff, check the brakes, make sure that the Master cylinder and slave cylinder was replaced when the clutch was done. GET A PPI for SURE!!!! From a reputable independant and there are several up there.

Remember the above list is at least 5000 and maybe a lot more - always on cars this old schedule 5 to 7k in hold backs for maintenance items that need attention! Then think of the purchase price - put that on top of it and think about whether you are comfortable with that much in a 92? It's not an easy question to answer. Those that think the purchase price is it cause it's a Honda are usually in for a RUDE AWAKENING!!!! :eek: Believe me I know - I bought a 91 this summer! Maybe you are lucky and this guy has done all this within the last few years and if so it may be a really good one! Give us a list of things that you found to have been done by the PO for maintenance....we can help you more if we have som information.

Others will add to this list I assure you - so wait for it! :wink:

If you're referring to JH4NA115XNT000076 all the visible aluminum components in the engine compartment are badly corroded (look again at the throttle body, alternator, fuel pump resistor). Why? Also, the roof needs repainting (at least $500 to do it right), the radio install is nasty, and the driver seat is toast. I see this as a project car. I'd say this car is well-bought at $18.5K. No way would I give $25K for it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330397186236

Last edited:
Thanks for info , but I checked out the car . I guess you have'nt seen it . The drivers seat has min wear on bolster drivers side , the motor is dirty but he lives on the beach. Radio is better then others I've seen . I looked @ several , least expensive was 23k for 104k mile automatic one . Sounds like to me you DON'T know the value of an NSX .

Thanks for info , but I checked out the car . I guess you have'nt seen it . The drivers seat has min wear on bolster drivers side , the motor is dirty but he lives on the beach. Radio is better then others I've seen . I looked @ several , least expensive was 23k for 104k mile automatic one . Sounds like to me you DON'T know the value of an NSX .

I would hazard a wild guess that everyone else posting in this thread does know the value of an nsx at least as good as you if not better...:rolleyes:

mmmmm this sounds awfully funny. You ask a question and don't leave a link and expect us to chime in on this and now you redicule those that are attempting to help. I'm not sure I understand the logic in your original post? What is it you need from this group? If you want real specific input you need to help us help you by providing a link or info you've found out or something. We also have other posts to answer....:wink:

( StreetracR ) with 5 posts I think your lucky to even have any of us help you,, a great man once said " a man that cannot smile should never own a shop" . We being owners of NSX's and some on here having more than one,, and with some prime members with thousands of posts, and the fact we all have had to put lots of big $$$ into our cars,, were not experts in no-way ! but we know more about this car than you,, since you came here for help,,, post a link so we can check it out and then we can give you our opinions, OR keep your Civic SI and save till you can buy a better One

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help and comments . I just wanted to drive and own an NSX for around 20-25k . I realize that entry level NSX start @ 20k for around 100k miles and pretty clean car fax and most likely auto or modifications too far from stock . I see most clean 5 speeds with 45-75 k going anywhere from 23-29 k . I found an honest car , no carfax issues , with service history and records in a color I love and stick and no modifications . I drove it , like it . I did'nt ask value just what to look for ? Got some great help here and value it , helped me make an informed decision to purchase it . I am not as informed as most but am realistic as to some benefits from buying from a owner vs. dealer and thought for around 25 k it looked fine . I thought owning a few corvettes in my day was a tough crowd to hang with but they are not as deligent as NSX guys . I am not looking to enter shows , race it , etc , just get in and drive it and enjoy it . Once again thanks to all with info about the NSX and good luck to you who already own them.

I was young dumb and full of cum when I first bought my Nsx and I lusted somuch for one I bought one without any knowledge of the car. I found prime years later and lemme tell ya it cost me big time in many ways ... I only hope you made a better choice then me and found a winner

Congrats to you streetracr on getting your NSX. I don't think anyone will dispute that you are going to enjoy the car tremendously. I call for a group hug and a round of Kumbaya. :biggrin:

Nice choice of Screenname...:rolleyes: you will find street racing is a sensitive topic on this board.

I wouldn't buy an auto...unless you are in traffic alot or cant drive a stick. Otherwise you won't be able to fully appreciate the NSX for what it was originally intended.

Also, a bit of advice. Keep your eye on the maintenence records and accident history, and title issues instead of merely price. You will save money in the long run.

Good Luck!

Note to group and Acura Pilot,

Hey guys, don't get me wrong cause I am not the post policeman, but AcuraNSXpilot you last post was off color. This forum does have women on board and I don't mean to slap anyone around cause we all normally think we are in a bastion of men - but that ain't the case. If I were you I'd edit out part of your "young, dumb...." comment - even though I understand it - it's not proper in a mixed forum. We just need to be a little concious of our group. :wink: Now back to our regularly scheduled programming....

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all the help . Also to Big_D and clr1024 the car is a 5 speed stick , not automatic . This is a car I would'nt consider buying in auto . As to Big_D all points of expressed concern to issues of title , maint records , etc all checked out well , clean title no liens , carfax ( for what it's worth ) autocheck , dealer records , books , etc all ok . Best of all called his ins and transferred over to classic auto ins for less than 300/yr ! I can tell you coming out of a C-5 this is much nicer , just a different feel of power with a mid engine design car .

Back