Just got my new (used) NSX - Life is good!

I just got my 2nd NSX!!!!! About 20 months ago, I had the misfortune of totalling one in a rollover accident on a twisty mountain road (caused mainly by a boulder that fell into the middle of the road on a blind turn, in conjunction with a brand new asphalt surface that had not set yet). In any case, I walked away from that one, and the insurance paid off, so, to qoute the late great Chick Hearn, "No harm, no foul" Although I DID, for a time, consciously avoid getting another NSX. Well, 20 months without an NSX is TOO LONG, and I missed it quite badly. Fortunately, low interest rates just allowed me to Re-Fi my house and take out $40K of extra cash without upping my payment by a penny, so it was time to get another NSX. I am actually pinching myself for the deal I got:

A single owner '95 Black/Black totally stock car, clean title, never raced, all maintenance records, owned by a former Apollo Astronaut who became a CEO for Tech/Defense companies with 49K miles, in great condition, and all original paint. I paid $34.5 K! (+ $3K for tax/license). I think I got an amazing deal - It DOES need new rubber in the rear, but what NSX doesn't? There definitely appears to be a glut of NSXs on the market here in SoCal at the moment.

Anyways, it's great to be back in the group.

BTW, the other car I was seriously considering is a '99 NSX-T with 25K miles on it but Salvage Title due to a theft recovery/insurance payout, but the car itself was not apparently not damaged (Although I would make damned sure to have a skilled mechanic confirm THAT claim). That one would have set me back low-mid $40Ks and I still think THAT car itself may be the best deal in SoCal for an NSX right now, if you can get over the salvage title (I would guess that the same car, with clean title, sells for at least $10K more). The mere existence of this car on the market right now, I'm sure, helped me negotiate a couple of $K off of the one I did end up buying.

The previous owner....

Congrats on your new purchase!

Was that Pete Conrad who owned it previously?

Thanks. Actually, it had belonged to Bill Anders (of Apollo 8: Borman, Lovell, Anders - The first manned aircraft ever to leave the earth's orbit).

If you still have the VIN of the previous NSX, maybe you can add it to the list of totalled NSXs on this site. There are a lot of NSXs out there with salvage titles that somehow show a clean title.

I just sent it in, although, I wouldn't worry about this one (my first NSX that I wrecked) - 1st of all, it was a salvage title as theft recovery when I got it in the first place, and 2nd of all, after I got through with it, other than the engine and a couple of the wheels, which were still intact, about all they could have done with it was turn it into soda cans. I had a salvager look at it to see if the car was worth re-building, and he told me that it would be FAR more cost effective to salvage the engine and a few other pieces, and junk the rest of it.

BTW, I know that NSXs are hard to flip, but when you put the right wheels of the car on a 45% slope, while moving, ANY car will flip. I can definitely state that the seatbelt and the roll-bar did their jobs and saved my life. BTW, NOT the airbag - it never deployed, as the front edge of the bumper was one of the few bits of the car to be totally unscathed in the accident. I would describe the wreck as a side impact with the up-slope of a mountainside at around 30mph, followed by the impact of the top of the car meeting the ground.

But this is all ancient history. NSX #1 did it's job by keeping me intact to buy NSX#2, which is cause for celebration.

Congratulation on your purchase. Nice to read you could get such a good deal on it.
I hate to think about having to do without my NSX. It has become a part of my life ;) Must have been really horrible at times.

If you can, post some pictures of your car in the pictures forum.

Well, as far as getting a deal, I have to say that Southern California is THE place to buy a 2nd hand NSX, and there is a glut on the market. There are literally DOZENS of them (3 full pages in the Autotrader) on the market between San Diego and L.A., and with the economy the way it is, A buyer with cash is definitely sitting in the driver's seat right now as far as negotiating a deal. The seller (Bill Anders' nephew was selling it for him), had already had one deadbeat reneg on the car on ebay. I basically had been scanning the ebay listings for Southern California cars, when I came across his listing. I in fact eventually paid him $300 MORE than his prior deadbeat bidder had won his auction for.

FYI, here's a link to the old listing, where his winning bidder reneged There are many photos on this listing, but in fact, they do NOT do justice to the cosmetics of the car in person - Other than the scratches on one of the alloy wheels, and a few on the lower portion of the nose by the front spoiler, the car is pristine, with perfect original paint:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2413682328&category=5337

Back