Just got a nsx.

What's up everybody? I just picked up a Black/Ivory 91 5spd with 22k miles on it for $35,000. This is the greatest car, I love it. The car is in excellent condition and not in snap ring range. A couple minor problems, one power mirror won't go left or right, one speaker is blown and the tape deck is playing tapes at too fast speeds. I read in the FAQ that the speakers go after time but does anyone know about the tape deck problem and how to fix this? Maybe I have to clean it or something. Anyways, just dropping my first post. Thanks. The nsx rocks!!!!

Congratulations on your new (very low-milage) ride!

How much faster than normal is it playing? If it's slightly faster and speed consistent, it might be electrical (there may be a pot somewhere on the radio you can turn to adjust the speed - I'm not sure).

If it's slightly faster (possibly with a slight oscillation in speed), it may be a mechanical problem, possibly, some gunk (possibly part of a damaged tape) has accumulated or is wrapped around the capstan pin or roller. You might be able to check by peeking into the cassette door w/ flashlight.

If it's a whole lot faster OR a lot faster on one side compared to the other (when you hit the auto-rev button), probably the roller is not hitting the capstan. It could be broken spring or something else mechanical.

If it's a mechanical problem, you might be better off picking up a used working head unit in the Marketplace.

Some generic info about tape deck speed can be found here.

BTW: If the timing belt/water pump has not been changed, be sure to have that done!

Congrats <B>Shake</B> on your superb choice of car to purchase!

Don't forget to take some photos and post them in the <A HREF="http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=12">Photo Gallery</A> for us all to enjoy! :)

Congrats.... Nice color combo :D

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

Thanks everyone, this is a great site. The tape deck is playing tapes fast, like alvin and the chipmunks style. I tried cleaning it with a tape cleaner and that didnt work. Should I take it to Acura or go to a car audio place and get it fixed? I dont want to replace the unit with anything other than factory, I'm trying to keep everything stock. As for maintenance on the car there were a few prior owners and no maintenance records. I'll take it over to Acura soon and get a check up.

Congratulations!

Shake said:
no maintenance records. I'll take it over to Acura soon and get a check up.

Here's a STRONG recommendation. Buy a set of the Dali Racing window fix-it thingies ($16), and have the dealer open up the doors. If the window regulators are still the old style ones, have them install the thingies. This could prevent you from having to replace the entire regulator if it fails, at a cost of $500 or so per side. Read more about it in the Power Windows section of the FAQ, under the Troubleshooting heading.

I have the factory 6 CD disc changer but I busted out some of my old tapes just to see if the tape deck worked. I just want to fix it cause I dont like having busted stuff on a nice car. I must fix it, lol.

tapes:confused: dude, 8 track is the only way to go!!!:D

hahaha....funny thing is, I haven't even tried my tape player yet and I got it two months ago....now you got me worried:eek:

congrats on the new ride!!!

Back