Just drove NSX/S55/Escalade, back to back

I had an appointment to have my remote V1 checked as it seems to be malfunctioning, so I drove my 2002 NSX to the shop for them to work on it. Coincidentally, a good friend of mine who changes cars as often as I change my socks (daily) was having the radar system removed from his 2003 S55 and asked if I would mind picking up the car and bringing it back to his house as it was being picked up later today, and I could take his Escalade as the radar system was going to be reinstalled in that. This way I didn't need a ride either to drop off my car, or to pick it up, so it works well for me. Let me tell you, that S55 is a hoot, 493HP, it's a rocket, step on the gas and those twin turbos howl. The car feels tight, and speed is like in the NSX, you don't realize how fast you're going in the blink of an eye. Now, get into the Escalade, what a barge, he's got 22's on the thing, and it's just not fun. In the span of 1/2 an hour to drive the 3 vehicles back to back was a hoot. Bottom line, can't wait to get back in the NSX, far superior to the other two, IMHO. Just thought I'd share :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

RPM217 said:
Let me tell you, that S55 is a hoot, 493HP, it's a rocket, step on the gas and those twin turbos howl.

I was under the impression that the S55 was supercharged and that only MB models that begin with a 6 (e.g. 600, 65) were turbo equipped.

Sig said:
I was under the impression that the S55 was supercharged and that only MB models that begin with a 6 (e.g. 600, 65) were turbo equipped.
You're right; S55 AMG is a Supercharged V8.

-Awais

You're correct, my buddy who owns the cars corrected me as well, it still is a monster!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I was hired to be one of the local instructors at the AMG Challenge at Road Atlanta a couple of years ago. Basically an on track ride and drive where AMG supplied the cars. My avatar shows a bit of the after hours misbehaving :)

Anyway, it was awesome getting to drive the various AMG's in anger. They are impressive cars. I liked the S55, but it was too big for my taste. The E55 was a good compromise between heft and power. A C55 would have been awesome, but the C32 was still OK. The C handled the best. IMO, it would be hard to beat an E55 for a daily driver. If only Mercedes would use manual trannies.

AMG cars are great for straight line acceleration, but I still prefer the BMW M Cars for overall speed and handling balance in the high performance sedan segment. I drove a C32 AMG and an M3 and bought the M3 instead. The C32 had an automatic transmission and felt like a heavy barge in the curves, the M3 was like a fine performance car should be....a BLAST to drive!!! :D

Back