Just bought my 1st NSX Saturday

Just picked up a 94 blk/blk in mint condition. I love this car-have been obsessed since I first saw it in C&D in the early 90's. Anyway, I wanted to say thanks to all of you contributers to this site. You've given me tons of pertinent information to look into/for prior to an NSX purchase. Getting new Pilots put on this week-I've read good things- Current Yoks up front are wearing on inside-thought that was fixed in 93? Need a few minor things done-normal things really only bad door speaker and driver window goes up slow with no clicking-yet. Sorry to just babble on, but I am at work, car is in garage I cannot wait to drive it again soon. I would like to stiffen it up a bit- maybe sway bars? I am definately going to leave the 16 up front and 17 in back and not lowering it. Midwest potholes are rough. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
sparling576

Congratulations on your purchase.
You've just become a member of a very select club of car-owners owning one of the best sportcars ever. You happen to have a car from the same year as I do (and I've had mine for a little over six months now).
I should warn you about getting addicted but I'm afraid that won't help you..
smile.gif

Congratulations on your new '94. Too bad you didn't have it in August, when we had our annual NSX Club event in Ohio - it was fun!

Originally posted by john576:
Getting new Pilots put on this week-I've read good things- Current Yoks

I would suggest you drive on it with the stock tires for a while first, before switching to another type of tire. The stock tires are really terrific and maximize the precise handling of the car. You ought to leave them on, just so that you can understand what you'll be missing.

up front are wearing on inside-thought that was fixed in 93?

No. The alignment change in '93 was designed to reduce wear on the rear tires. The front tires wear on the inside if you don't drive the car hard. The harder you drive, the more evenly they will wear.

I would like to stiffen it up a bit- maybe sway bars?

How many miles are on it? If it has a fair number of miles it may be time for new struts (shocks). If so, you might want to consider Bilsteins.

Sway bars maybe, but if it needs struts, I would do those first, and then decide whether to do sway bars.

Hey guys,
Tewills: Good luck to you hope the weather is great so you can cruise year round. Its snowing in Cleveland as I write this. But plan to move to Jacksonville or Denver next year so I can drive practically year round. Trust me I fully understand your level of excitement. What kind of mileage, $, just curious. Found mine in Indiana with 65K new clutch, for $31,400-does need about $1k in work though as mentioned prior.
Nsxtasy: The reason I am replacing tires on front is because they are very, very worn on insides and I believe replacing them will decrease the slight hopping I'm feeling in the wheel (note:car allignment is perfect). I have thought about bilsteins though. Have any idea what bilsteins and sways run $wise?
Moreover, I plan to take a few trips with the car so I'd like a better wearing/longer lasting tire. Also, I'm afraid to push this car to its limits. I had a Type-R Integra (1998 #576)a few years ago and the handling limits were a bit more predictable-being front drive and all. My God, I'm taking on/off ramps and doubling the speed limit (with complete safety and ease, mouth watering yet Tewills?)- will my tail kick out only slilghtly, read: correctable, or will I be "Finished" if you will-upon pushing the car just a little too far? Basically, I'm trying to find it's max so I can just drop it down a notch-when I want. I have heard from a friend that races at Mid-Ohio that the NSX is designed to be pushed in the turns a bit, similar to a tail happy 911 I guess. I assume he knows what he's talking about because he did race an Esprit turbo a couple of years ago. Any handling suggestions would be grreeatly appreciated.
Thanks
John

Have any idea what bilsteins and sways run $wise?

Bilsteins around $550 for a full set (front and rear), and around $300 for sways.

I'm afraid to push this car to its limits.
I'm trying to find it's max so I can just drop it down a notch-when I want. I have heard from a friend that races at Mid-Ohio that the NSX is designed to be pushed in the turns a bit, similar to a tail happy 911 I guess. I assume he knows what he's talking about because he did race an Esprit turbo a couple of years ago. Any handling suggestions would be grreeatly appreciated.

As with most mid-engine cars, the NSX is easy to turn, but also can be rotated (spun) if you're not careful. Its limits are very high, so until you reach that point, it just feels like it can do ANYTHING.

My suggestion would be to take your NSX to some high-performance driver education (HPDE) events, to get a feel for how the car behaves when you push it hard. It can help you if you ever find yourself in a sudden maneuver in street driving, and oh yes by the way it's also a lot of fun. There are lots of groups that hold HPDE events, including NSXPO (NSX Club of America) as well as groups like CGI Motorsports at GingerMan (MI) and NASA.

Congratulations on your NSX.

"The front tires wear on the inside if you don't drive the car hard. The harder you drive, the more evenly they will wear." - Thats a good one to tell the police officer.
smile.gif

Anyways, my fronts are wearing on the inside as well. I had my dad adjust the front for the tires to wear more evenly. After the adjustment, tire wear did even out, but handling suffered around corners.

Eventually, I had them readjusted back to have my handling back at the expense of my tires.

William

Just bought your 1st NSX you say...

Isn't that like introducing someone to your wife as your 1st wife...
smile.gif

If so, guess this will be the first in a long line of NSX's for you.

Congratulations!!!

Back