JP Aero Design Front Lip- Which paint scheme looks better?

What scheme should I choose?

• Paint it ALL BLACK

Votes: 32 61.5%
  • Paint the top half Imola, bottom potion Black

Votes: 20 38.5%

• Total voters
Once I pick up my Imola NSX, I'll probably get the JP Aero Lip. I plan on also getting the downforce NSX inspired rear diffuser which I'll paint as a satin/gloss black. Question- What do you guys think, paint the front lip entirely all BLACK (to tie into the diffuser), or half imola, and just the bottom portion black? FYI, painting it ALL Imola is not an option. Thanks

Here are some pictures of how it looks like painted ALL black or 1/2. Anyone else have pics? thanks!

JPNA2FUSSmall.jpg

93_L.jpg

SEMA07057Small.jpg

Falkenpics014Medium.jpg

JPSPUbent.jpg

JPNA2Prototypetest011.jpg

Congrats on the purchase. Excellent choice in color BTW. I like the 1st pic. Are you doing a hood also?

Paint the top portion Imola, and do the bottom portion the matching satin/flat black that you are doing on the rear diffuser. The car visually 02+ needs more body visually, so painting some of it Imola will help with that. Leaving some of it black will be agressive (was considering this same piece).

Congrats on your purchase!

The whole point of this lip is that it flexes. What will happen to the paint if you paint it and scrape it? I am asking a real question, not trying to be rhetorical. Honestly it is not my favorite lip although I do like it. My order of preference are:

1) Cantrell (which I Have, it sits low, and it does scrape)
2) GT-One
3) Taitec
4) JP Aero

I think all these lips look a lot better than the OEM one.

Your going to have SERIOUS issues with paint chipping if your try and do any other color than black. Especially yellow, it will look horrible after a few weeks of driving it painted, stick with black and save yourself the trouble and paint it all black the first time.

My 91 is stock height and i am very careful driving it but my new lip made it exactly 3 hours before its first scrape on an inclined driveway at the best angle i could have taken.

Thank you for your reply. The main reason I don't like many of the lips out there is due to the non functional side "vents." I'm just not a fan of those lips with OEM side skirts. Painting it all one color is not an option, it will either be ALL black or just the bottom black.... but I'm leaning toward all black...

The whole point of this lip is that it flexes. What will happen to the paint if you paint it and scrape it? I am asking a real question, not trying to be rhetorical. Honestly it is not my favorite lip although I do like it. My order of preference are:

1) Cantrell (which I Have, it sits low, and it does scrape)
2) GT-One
3) Taitec
4) JP Aero

I think all these lips look a lot better than the OEM one.

Your going to have SERIOUS issues with paint chipping if your try and do any other color than black. Especially yellow, it will look horrible after a few weeks of driving it painted, stick with black and save yourself the trouble and paint it all black the first time.

My 91 is stock height and i am very careful driving it but my new lip made it exactly 3 hours before its first scrape on an inclined driveway at the best angle i could have taken.

If you get it painted at a good shop, you will not have any problem with paint cracking or chipping. Good shops do a lot of prepping and add flex compound to parts like this, and the paint will not be affected by moderate bending or flexing.

Paint it 24k Gold. :biggrin:

If you get it painted at a good shop, you will not have any problem with paint cracking or chipping. Good shops do a lot of prepping and add flex compound to parts like this, and the paint will not be affected by moderate bending or flexing.

You can put as much flex as you want in the paint but it wont matter when the lip scrapes against concrete (which it will) because it will damage it period. However if black paint is scraped off of a black lip it is allot less noticable then when you have black chips showing through yellow paint.
The same goes for rock chips. The paint can flex all it wants but when another cars tire spits a small rock right into the front of your car it will chip and show what is behind it and that lip is black from the factory for a reason.

Does it look like that car in the picture with the two tone lip sees many road miles a year? I have my doubts.

I have no personal experience with this particular product but i have had many other products similar to it in the past installed on other cars and the results have always been the same.
I really like the looks of lips like this painted white to match a white car but if your not having to either:
repair a crack in a fiberglass/carbon fiber, then you repairing a tear in a polyurethane one, then your repainting either just because of the wear and tear the road does to that part of a sports car.

Thats why so many great looking sports car have those horrible looking bras protecting their front ends from potential damage. No one actually thinks those things look good do they?:biggrin:

Does this lip actually need paint?? Does it not have the factory appearance if left unpainted? I really like the looks of it and would leave it black.

Pulled this thread from the graveyard.

Synth, did you ever end up trying the JP Aero lip?

Contemplating ordering it today to replace my OEM lip which I am on my 6th one so far, I tend to replace them every year to keep them fresh but think the JP in Satin black may be a nice change.

Last edited:
Pulled this thread from the graveyard.

Synth, did you ever end up trying the JP Aero lip?

Contemplating ordering it today to replace my OEM lip which I am on my 6th one so far, I tend to replace them every year to keep them fresh but think the JP in Satin black may be a nice change.

Nope, I never purchased it. I say get it so I can see better/pics angles before I take the plunge. :D

I love this lip! I had a similar Shine Lip on my old NSX and it was great. Aggressive looking and super durable. After about 7 CF SOS, Downforce, Seibon and god knows what other kind of lips, I had to make the change. :biggrin:

Synth you have a VRH lift, why are you worried about scraping anymore? Are you that low?

Stop saying "fake vents". My vents are being piped to put cool air on my brake deflectors. They are actually perfect for that.

After owning this lip for quite some time now and having had my share of horrible driveways and mishaps with parking stops and what not... I hope your paint guy is damn good. This thing is stiffer than the OEM but it still flexes. It will be a challenge to paint. Just fyi... gents

For longevity sake, I kept mine the original color.

+1, if you don't like it once it is all black, you always have the opetion of having the top portion in IMOLA. I would stay all black IMO.

I agree. Btw, this thread is nearly 4 years old. :D

Synth you have a VRH lift, why are you worried about scraping anymore? Are you that low?

Stop saying "fake vents". My vents are being piped to put cool air on my brake deflectors. They are actually perfect for that.

Definitely not concerned about scraping and you might be one of the few with "functional lip vents." :D

I can't believe I posted this thread on 6-6-08, and purchased my NSX 13 days later. Yes, I was planning mods well before the car came in, or before I even found an NSX! IIRC, I had my coilovers and wheels also already ordered. :D

I ordered a supercharger before buying my car. Top that... :biggrin:

Nope, I never purchased it. I say get it so I can see better/pics angles before I take the plunge. :D

Will do!!! Haha

I also had wheels suspension seats and a few other items before I ended up with my car!!

Back