JonMonkey's build thread

I really like this thread :) I keep missing my 1991 NSX.. The entry price is kind of steep today (although twice the price for the car, I make four times the money now.. so wtf is my problem? LOL!)

After what seems like forever I have finally installed my new body pieces and am awaiting time for paint. I can not wait to see what this car looks like with fresh paint and all one color again.

1000004929.jpg1000004187.jpg

So far I got the front bumper replaced with a new Mode4 bumper and an 02 front lip. Also added a Seibon carbon hood, a set of Downforce TCRC side skirts, Downforce carbon side vents and a set of Pride carbon side mirrors.

1000004919.jpg
1000004920.jpg

While I was waiting for the exterior parts to come in I started some work on the interior. I wrapped the door panels in black alcantara and added the Euroboutique carbon switch panels. Currently waiting for Euroboutiqu to add some carbon to my door handles.

Dang. Are there any skirts that don't involve a whole bunch of dicking around with to get good fitment? (besides OEM?)

Your car is going to look awesome though.

Finally got the car back from paint. The guy was able to get the fitment of the side skirts pretty spot on. The paint looks amazing. I really like how this turned out. 1000005797.jpg1000005796.jpg

Got my interior door handles back from Euroboutique. They finished the handle and pull in dry carbon to match the switch trim. With the Alcantara I added I really like how this turned out.

1000006514.jpg

So, I drove the car home from paint with no issues. Then drove it the following day around town. I took it on a long drive on Memorial Day to stretch it's legs. 10 miles into my drive my oil pressure and battery light came on. After a quick audible F-bomb I pulled off the road. I started the car and the oil pressure and battery lights quickly came on followed by the check engine light and then the engine bay filled with smoke. Unfortunately, Grundy and the shop I use locally were not open. I called a tow truck to have it taken to a local Acura dealership. While I was waiting a guy pulled over in a highly tuned BMW. Turns he out owed a performance shop about 5 miles away and offered to take care of it. After getting out towed to him we find out that the new AC compressor went out. He got it replaced and while test driving it before I took it back that AC compressor went out...FML. after getting a warranty replacement I have had the car back now for about 2 weeks. I have driven the car half a dozen times now with no other problems 🤞.

He dies think that the clutch had about 4-5k miles left in it so I guess my next move will be to get that replaced. I am debating the SOS clutch or the ATS twin plate. Does anyone have any opinions?

1000006510.jpg

1000006511.jpg

I do love how the paint and body work turned out.

Aw man, what a pain. The engine oil pressure light is not connected to the A/C system. Was the light on when the engine was running? If so, that's indicating a severe low pressure in the oil system.

Aw man, what a pain. The engine oil pressure light is not connected to the A/C system. Was the light on when the engine was running? If so, that's indicating a severe low pressure in the oil system.
I was driving when it came on. Same thing happened when my 1st AC compressor went out.

Beautiful car man, you’re very lucky. I really like where you’re taking it with all the modifications. I can’t wait to have my own, but have to wait to save some more, most low mileage ones are in the $90ks, and some already getting to be in the low $100Ks. Insane for a cat that a little over decade ago was less than half the cost to get one now lol.. but it is what it is. One day.
Side note: I don’t know with the NSX, but usually on other cars (I’d imagine it’d be the same on most cars), when the A/C comp goes, the whole system may get contaminated. On my Subaru, I ended up having to replace all components: condenser, evaporator, expansion valve, compressor as well as flushing the lines, otherwise the issue may return, hopefully not your case.

Last edited:
Back