Job options for CS majors?

Thought i'd get some input from this board...
anyhow, I'm graduating from college in may, I'm a computer science major with business (marketing) and math minor. I wanted to find a job that used both my CS and business skills. Any suggestions?

also, didnt want to be a pure software engineer as programming isnt my favorite thing (although i can do it well). Thinking maybe along the lines as a project manager (but i doubt they would give that job to an entry level person).

Originally posted by okie:
Thought i'd get some input from this board...
anyhow, I'm graduating from college in may, I'm a computer science major with business (marketing) and math minor. I wanted to find a job that used both my CS and business skills. Any suggestions?

also, didnt want to be a pure software engineer as programming isnt my favorite thing (although i can do it well). Thinking maybe along the lines as a project manager (but i doubt they would give that job to an entry level person).

Congrats!! I was in your same position except I studied Electrical Engineering. (Got out of CS my fist quarter cuz the computer lab was underground and really felt like a prison).

When I graduated, I wanted a job that allowed me to express both engineering and business skills I had. However, as many would tell you, that you should get more experience in your technical background before moving on. With a firm background in R&D, you could pretty much move anywhere you want...marketing, management, etc. You don't want to learn a bit of both and not be proficient at either.

Since you have a CS background, start with some coding experience and go from there. Until you are ready to move on, try to pick up as much technical experience as possible. Then, when you are ready to move on, switch to project management or elsewhere.

It's not wise to jump right into project management because first of all, it'll be hard to move back to the technical side because you haven't used any of it. Second, you've spent all that time in school learning it and now you're going to lose all of it.

Hope that helps....

------------------
'98 Blue NSX-T

I have to agree with blueknight above, I am from similar background, and I went the Big Four route. I feel that my technical skills is being neglected, as all I deal with everyday is writing Point of View, Methodology, proposals, statement of work, and discussing technology on paper, but rarely any hands on experiences.

I like Blue knight's advice.

I would suggest going for Consulting firm such as Accenture(formerly known as Anderson). There is a lot of coding involved but also lots in business skills. Many of my friends are in this field and though they work like an A$$, you make lots of bucks and future is bright.

Funny, this thread has pretty much tapped into everything that's I've been turning over in my head since I graduated last May. I have a degree in computer engineering, and though I really do enjoy my current job (embedded coding)I can't see myself doing technical stuff forever. I just don't love it enough to do it the rest of my life. My current "plan" (really more of a pipe dream, since I haven't seriously looked into anything) is to stick around for a few years, develop my technical skills until I can't stand coding anymore, then hopefully get accepted to a solid MBA program. So, I was just wondering if anyone has gone this route and if you have any advice you'd like to share?
I've got a ton of questions actually, but I'll hold back for now since I'd feel bad hijacking okie's thread.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by cxr344 (edited 14 February 2003).]

well, basically, i really dislike coding, just the whole sitting there, pressing keys, looking up reference manuals, etc...its really tedious work here in college (although i've never worked as a software engineer I'd imagine something similar). I really like business, even sales is more interesting to me, but the reason i didnt go full out business was because it isnt as respected as comp sci (i'm asian and science is emphasized when choosing a major). I've also hoped that i could find a job that would pay for my master's in business.

thanks for the advise so far guys, gave me stuff to think about. the only thing is, even if you get experience coding, its fleeting, the second you start working in another language you tend to forget all other languages quickly (at least in my case). I spent the first 1.5 years in college doing C++ and now (about a year later) i've learned so many other languages its all but forgotten (right now i'm a perl machine
smile.gif
heck i can barely remember some of the elective languages (VB, sql, php)

okie, I know exactly where you're coming from, I picked up my M.S. in CS, but hated coding
smile.gif
How I finished the program, don't ask.

So, I went the consulting route, fast forward few years, I think I should've went toward industry first, get some hands on technical experience first, before start "consulting" the clients. This is just my personal feelings. It comes down to you have the make a decision on what you want to do. In the beginning of a career, focus on what you can learn, and skills you can take away, instead of money, vacation, bonus..etc,

Originally posted by cxr344:
Funny, this thread has pretty much tapped into everything that's I've been turning over in my head since I graduated last May. I have a degree in computer engineering, and though I really do enjoy my current job (embedded coding)I can't see myself doing technical stuff forever. I just don't love it enough to do it the rest of my life. My current "plan" (really more of a pipe dream, since I haven't seriously looked into anything) is to stick around for a few years, develop my technical skills until I can't stand coding anymore, then hopefully get accepted to a solid MBA program. So, I was just wondering if anyone has gone this route and if you have any advice you'd like to share?
I've got a ton of questions actually, but I'll hold back for now since I'd feel bad hijacking okie's thread.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by cxr344 (edited 14 February 2003).]

I also gave the MBA route some thoughts, but I was glad I got into a new Master's program called "Engineering Management and Leadership" Instead of shifting directions like a MBA program, I get to take 45% of EE courses, 45% of technical management courses and 10% of either one. I could even petition to take some MBA courses if I want. I'm getting the best of both worlds because the program targets the technical professional and gives them the edge to compete in the business environment.

------------------
'98 Blue NSX-T

[This message has been edited by Blue Knight (edited 14 February 2003).]

[This message has been edited by Blue Knight (edited 14 February 2003).]

Sort of depends on your overall interests. You might find that a product marketing position with a software/hardware development company would be a good fit, it you like the technical parts blended with the business/sales/human interaction pieces too.

I was EE for 3 years, then the Internet showed up and changed my perspective, I have been firmly planted in marketing for the past 5 years and really like it. I get to use my hardware knowledge with the engineering team (which also helps to keep their confidence in me making the right product decisions).

Good blend, hope you find a job that you enjoy, that's certainly the key.

Good luck!

out of curiousity what are the titles for your fields? when i'm doing research on job types its hard unless you have an offical title (just searching CS or business doesnt come up with anything useful) but something like sales engineer, project manager gets good info, if you get what i'm saying

Back