• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

JDMMAN....flaked on wheel purchase.

So I am selling a set of Simmons wheels, and I get this as my first message from this 'buyer' on 6/5/08:

"Hi Mitch, I'd like to offer you $1650 shipped to Calgary, Alberta, Canada"

I reply within 1 day that the offer looks like it will be fine, I accept his offer, and ask where am I shipping, and how is he paying? Here is where the delays start. I do not hear back until 10 days later. He says he cannot PayPal me until he gets to a secure connection. I send numerous messages to him asking where the payment is and what is going on.

Finally on 6/23/08 (**18 days after his offer was already accepted!!**) he sends me this:

"Hi Mitch, I just got back into town. Sorry about the wait. I wanted to see which method of shipping were you using? Also, these will work on a car w/o a big brake kit right? The offset etc is correct for either?"

Okay, your offer was already made and accepted. Now almost 3 weeks after the fact is not the time to be asking about shipping and offsets. I had advised him that I had turned down some local offers because I was keeping my word to him, and honoring our sale, I needed to get this completed. I hear nothing for over a week until I get this on 7/1/08 (** ALMOST 1 MONTH AFTER HIS OFFER WAS ACCEPTED!! **):

"Hi Mitch, sorry about the delay in reply. I must appologize. I unfortunately can't take these wheels off your hands anymore. I have been back & fourth overseas due to a recent death in the family, and unfortunately it has used up all the extra "toy" money because of it. Again, I sincerely appologize about that."

Now, I understand stuff happens. But the week before everything was fine. Two weeks before that he was just trying to find a 'secure connection', and now this? Once again, do not make offers you cannot back up. If you do, do not waste 1 month of someone elses time stringing them along with excuses and then pull what sounds to all to be a classic cop-out. It is just wrong.

Back