Jackie Chan Racing Movie on WTBS??

Like the title says. It's on TBS right now, from about 1:00AM PST to about 3:00AM PST (Monday morning). The movie is called Thunderbolt. I had never heard of it before. TV listings have it as a 1995 movie.

So far, very little fighting, but a lot of racing. A wide variety of cars have been used, from Supras, to Skylines, to RX-7s. As expected, Jackie has been using his typical Mitsubishi cars, primarily an FTO.

very popular, and yet very chessy race scenes towards the end of the movie...

However, I loved the part at the opening of the movie.. and yet back in 95, it's a pretty cool movie... it's a very good chasing scene for the FTO vs R32... Of course, there will be no match in real world...

Little fact of the movie, the yellow Rx7 is actually owned by Jacky, it's a gift from Mazda, and at that time, Mazda was trying to steal Jacky for the company's spoke person... but failed. Jacky also had a tuning shop in HK, and one of the first project car is that yellow RX7......

Well, who cares about Jacky, he's just another chinese clown in US who happens to know how to Fight.
(He's a very respectful person in Asia though. We called him Big Brother back in HK.)

I've had this movie on tape for years! It's cool that it's finally getting some more coverage, as I always thought that it was testament to his love for cars, but is not one of his most popular movies. Then again I'm not coming from a HK mindset...just a fanboy here in the US who also loves cars.

That EVO dies a sad death, and no... the FTO vs GTR would not bea match at all in real life, but the movie is fun.

I was always curious as to why they sped up the end race footage, but then again I guess not all of Jackie's fans are car guys either. :cool: :cool:

I wish he'd do more in the way of car movies. He could make a decent transition, since his injuries and physical age are seeming to catch up with him... or is it Hollywood safety precautions?

btw, if you pay attention there are NSXs in the movie... :D

i've only seen this movie for about 30 times....i practically remember the entire script.....

i first saw this movie when i was back in college a few years ago. it was the dawn of street racing and mods. some of the cars in the movie belonged to him. at one time in his career, he owned a little over 50 cars. that yellow RX-7 was his and probably most of the cars in the garage in the movie.

he was always sponsored by mitsubishi and got all the neat prototypes since the movie "meals on wheels" filmed in the early 80s.

you've never seen thunderbolt randy?????
my street racer buddies and i used to have an original copy with english sub-titles back in the day. we watched it so many times the picture started to get dark and fuzzy!
MUCH BETTER THAN THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS.

supergreen125 said:
you've never seen thunderbolt randy?????
Yeah, I'm so sheltered. ;) But really, I hadn't heard of it. Not even talked about on other car forums that I frequent. And it surprises me too, 'cuz some of the race scenes are pretty good.

Then again, Jackie Chan movies sometimes have pretty good chase scenes in addition to his fighting scenes. For example, I really dig the white EVO chase with the BMWs in "Who Am I". Plus the fight sequence at the end against the two guys at the top of the building was top notch also!! :D

Mr.Wolf said:
I've never understood Jackie Chan flims.
Why stress out fighting 20 men with your fists?
I find walking into a room wearing a tuxedo. a sawn-off shotgun, and politely using the 'F' word produces significantly greater results. :D

Mr.Chan's balaclava is very ineffective. :D

in Mr. Chan's "My Stunts" documentary, he specifically reveals the motive behind his stunts and movies...and i quote from Jackie

"I fight like this in the movies because it looks really good. I know it doesn't make sense to fight like this but I do it because the audience wants to see it. As an actor I am obliged to entertain the audience. If you ask me, I can use a gun and just shoot everyone or beat everyone up in 2 minutes but no one will be interested in that kind of Jackie Chan movie. The audience wants to see stunts that are extraordinary but not realistic. I also add a bit of humor to lighten the mood"

from another interview

"I like to fight many people at the same time because it keeps the audience on the edge of their seats. Fighting 3, 4 or sometimes 10 people gives the audience the sense that I'm running out of breath and will need to fight miraculously to make a come back. I use special camera tricks to shoot my fighting scenes from many angles at the same time so the audience feels that I'm fighting many people at the same time but it's just a camera trick. I don't like to fight one person at a time and have the rest of the bad guys run around in the back. It doesn't look good when you have a bunch of guys waiting in the background moving their bodies but not really doing much fighting. I want everyone to come at me at the same time. That's entertainment."

Furthermore, besides being an expert in martial arts and racing, he's got a great knowledge of guns and weapons.

i think i should apply for a position as his agent....:D

ak said:
What's up with speeding up the film during some of the race scenes tho? That was stupid.
jackie's fight scenes are unrealistic... so why not make the racing scenes the same way??

supergreen125 said:
jackie's fight scenes are unrealistic... so why not make the racing scenes the same way??

exactly....who has ever seen a car flip over and land right on top of another on a race track and then slide off on a turn???

if all movies are based on reality, sci-fi movie makers would be waiting in line at the EDD....George Lucas would be the first in line.:D

The final race in that movie is flawed. They used a 1st gen GTO and a 2nd gen GTO in the final race. You'll see the 1st gen start the race, and then in some frames you see the 2nd gen. The overall shape of the cars is the same, but the lights are different. The 1st gen are pop-ups, the 2nd gen are fixed. Look closely at the final race and you will know what I'm talking about.

Also, did you notice all the expensive cars like the NSX went off the track on the 1st lap?

thats a classic old movie, im going to have to rent it again ........
Jackies a car nut as mentioned above...........

nsxdreamer i care about jacky!

Back