Ivory vs black interor?

Just wanted to know what the current opioins were on the 91-92 black vs ivory interiors were. I found a possible 92 red/ivory and was wondering if this combo is recommended or should i wait to find a black? Cleaning issues, wear and tare, and market interest. thanks

When I started looking for my NSX two years ago I was dead set on Blk/Blk I could not find one in my price range so I looked at a 91 Blk/Ivory. I was not that crazy about having a Ivory interior but I bought the car anyway it was in to good of shape and had all the records. All I can say is having it now I love the Ivory interior my buddy just bought a 91 Blk/Blk and it just does not look as good having a Black interior it seems you can see the wear more on Black than Ivory JMO. As for cleaning I use the Zaino Leather products and it looks as good as new I was lucky though the last two owners of my NSX kept it in like new condition so the Ivory Seats look like new.

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory
biggrin.gif

I had a 91 red over ivory to start with. I first saw on the road and loved the combination. After getting it I didn't like it as much as I had thought I would. I sold that car and little over a year later bought another. To match my Integra GS-R, red over black and couldn't be happier with my choice. I like the warmer climate so having the black leather doesn't really bother me to much during the summer time.
JMO

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

Well, of course the first thing to mention is that many people have a personal preference. Some people prefer an all black interior, and some people prefer a lighter color interior. So asking whether one is better is like asking what is someone's favorite color in order to decide your own, if you know what I mean.

FWIW, I prefer my ivory interior. Black is too dark and gloomy - for my taste. If I had the choice, I would choose the tan/camel available in '94 and later cars, because it looks like natural leather. So anyway, that is MY taste.

I think the condition of the interior is very important, and for many, may be a more important consideration than the color. Any color interior may be well cared for or poorly cared for. I take care of my leather interior using Zymol Treat, which contains collagens, the fatty substances that are present naturally in genuine leather and give it a soft and supple feel. The big problem areas to look for on a leather interior are the suppleness of the leather, the cleanliness (if it looks dirty, it is), and most of all, the side bolsters, particularly the driver-seat left-side bolster which is subject to wearing through if the owner is not careful and slides over it every time he gets in and out of the car. There are various ways of dealing with bolster wear (if you're interested, see the FAQ and do a search on the forums) but it's even better if you can find a car that doesn't have severe bolster wear.

Of course, one other cleaning issue is that black hides dirt better than ivory does. I know some people who even use black floor mats with the ivory interior. However, I love the lighter "look", and IMO floor mats are there to get dirty and get cleaned again. If I had my choice, I would have preferred that even more of my interior be ivory rather than black, including the interior panel behind the seats (black in all '91-93 cars regardless of interior color, but color-coordinated to the interior beginning in '94) and the gathered leather on the interior door panel (black on all U.S. cars, but color-coordinated in some foreign markets).

I don't think there is any significant difference in market value because of the interior color of any NSX. The only exception might be the color-coordinated interiors (orange, blue, etc) which were introduced in 2002, but I haven't heard anything, even anecdotal evidence, to indicate whether those colors might fetch a premium or a discount vs the traditional black or tan or ivory.

HTH

nsxtacy,
you always have to elaborate don't you.
smile.gif

Just kidding with ya. Very good info you provided though. Thanks

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

I'll give you my take on owning two identical Acura Legend Coupes. One was dark green with tan interior and my other is a black with black interior. The two cars otherwise are identical. The green/tan does look more classy, while my black/black looks more sporty. I like the sporty look, but definately appreciated the classy look as well. As for cleaning, I would have to constantly clean the tan interior every month or it would look very dirty. I guess this depends on where you live as well and how much you drive the car. With my black I usually only vacuum once in a while and it looks clean. The black definately hides light dirt well. So, it really depends on what type of look you are looking for. Even with the NSX. When I see a black/ivory, or black/tan it looks like a classy sports car. When I see the black/black or black/onyx it looks like a mean sports car. I think both look great but prefer the black for its slighty sportier look and much easier time trying to keep it clean.

I also live in Hawaii where it doesn't get too hot but usually fairly hot most of the year and the black interior is okay with me. Hawaii people are an all year AC people anyway.

Thanks for the info. My last car was a 91 mr2 turbo with the tan/black interior. I changed the mats to black and it did not look bad but seemed to compliment the black portions of the interior. I have not seen many red/ivory nsx's to ease my mind but what i remember is the color being very white. I like it but i do agree it seems more classy while the black more aggressive. I was thinking i could get some black zanardi mats like some of you on the forum. I was also thinking of getting some black/gray Sparco Torinos so how do you think this might factor into my interior choice? This will be my first nsx and i want it to be a keeper so i am willing to wait for the right one and be patient but thats becoming hard to do
wink.gif

I like the black/ivory combo because of the contrast. I think it's more striking than black on black, for example. Also, Ivory is a very rare color. I haven't had any issues with keeping it clean (but I generally don't eat in the NSX!) As the owner of a '91 conversion targa, I may have the only black/ivory NSX-T in existence? Anyone know? The black/ivory contrast is even more distinct with the roof off.

I once owned a '69 Vette roadster with a red interior. Virtually everything in that interior was red - the dash cover, the doors, seats, carpets, console. To me, that's what a colored interior should be.

Nowadays, the dash and other major parts of a color interior (including that in the NSX) are nearly always black or gray, and the colored portions usually consist of only the carpets, seats and misc. trim. I never cared for this two-tone look. It looks as if the manufacturer did just the easy parts, did just the minimum amount to pass as a colored interior. With all due respect, it looks half-assed. With a black interior, at least everything is the same color!

I also find that a black interior is less distracting to the eye when performing the driving task, plus, it looks like it means business!

So, I vote for black!

------------------
Russ
'91 black/black

I say Ivory. I've had both blk and ivory interior, and my honest opinion is that the ivory looks much better on blk NSX's and blk interior on red NSX's. I love the way my car looks from the front now that you can see the sleek seats. It also brightens up the cabin. You can also see me better in the car since Im dark!!!
biggrin.gif

Z

Ivory.
I wasn't crazy about Ivory interior either until I purchased my current X. That because all ivory that I saw were not in top shape. When the seats are clean, they go real well with the Berlina Black. IMO, Ivory make the car looks really classy.

Anybody have pics of their ivory interiors with aftermarket seats? I have taken a liking to the ivory interior and might possibly go with it but i am still curious. This comes back to my question i posed earlier in this thread. thanks.

Back