Its Time! I Need Some Help!

Hey guys, iv been lurking on this forum for over a year now and finally joined back in april.I'v saved up some money and am ready to make a purchase. The only problem is i cannot make up my mind, im very open minded right now as i plan on keeping this car for a long time and want to make the right choice for me, so i have been thinking between these 3 cars and cant decide.I plan on using it for a daily driver and a track car and sinch im a speed addict i plan on spending alot of money into it.

(1) Acura NSX
(2) C5 Z06
(3) E46 M3

heres the thing, i have friends with all the cars except the nsx, but i had a chance to drive one and didnt get a good night sleep for the next week :) the thing with the nsx is as i am crazy for hp im kinda held back paying $45-55K CND for a car with 260hp and the money it would take to get some good power from it, but i love the exotic look, the feel of the car on the track and the fact that its a reliable honda. On the other hand the Z06 gives me the power im hungry for but lacks the uniqueness the nsx has, in my town of 350 000 people (oshawa, us having a huge gm plant) about 50 000 own a C5 Z06. The cons also are with the interior being nearly the same as a cavalier. Than we have the M3, great german engineering but lacks the aftermarket and parts to fix are gastly. Iv had a SC 97 M3 and spend more money fixing it than modifying it. Iv asked all my car buddies but its all mixed emotions. I know this is the NSX site but iv been reading the posts for over a year and seen alot of people have open minds. thanks for all your help guys

OK, so you have 50,000 Z06's in town already, cross that off the list unless you just want to be 50,001.

The BMW is to problematic as it relates to go-fast parts and labor.

The NSX is a bullet-proof car that can be driven daily and tracked (so long as you have no mishaps). It is unique and you will not see another on every street like you apparently would a Z06.....so the choice seems obvious.

Wait....you are a HP junkie. I always believed HP was a crutch for lack of driving skills. The NSX will hold its own so long as you can drive well. You could always do a CTSC to add some horsepower reliably.

Good luck.

First time I drove a NSX I didn't think it was all that peppy. Then I realized I was shifting at about 5-6k and was missing the peak power curve of the car! Find that power curve and keep the rpms over 3500 and I suspect, like most folks around these NSXPrime parts, you'll discover that stock, it's actually pretty darned quick.

Tough call - each of those cars has something outstanding and not so great about it.

C5 Z06 - terrific performance per dollar. It'd hand my car its a$$ until I put an SC on. But the interior is an issue, as is the depreciation as is their abundance.

NSX - not bad performance per dollar and there is tons of cool aftermarket support, but youll have to mod to get to Z06 performance, and youll end up spending way more than a stock Z06 would have costed you. That said, you may decide to leave the NSX stock as its plenty quick for most things, and if you choose that, even if its more dough than the Z06, the cost of ownership will probably be MUCH less, given it will depreciate much less. Plus youll be unique, well sorta unique as Ill be driving through Oshawa on Thursday on my way to Mosport (again). The biggest downside as I see it is finding a good NSX. You will have to be patient. There are a couple here in Toronto that showed up in Trader this week for high $30s. Beware, both crashed with lots of damage. You will probably be no less than mid $40k for a nice, but old one.

M3 - how terrific is it to have a car that can perform alongside an NSX for the most part but also haul kids if you need. I know there are many times on the weekend that I wished I could be in a different car than my minivan. Not sure theres a downside to the M3 aside from abundance (I see more of those than I do Z06s). Plus, you can get a nicely optioned BRAND NEW one from the US for under C$60k, duty and tax and import charges ALL IN, TO YOUR DRIVEWAY. If I were choosing a car today - that would be high on my list.

Id say forget the Z06 - in a year youll just be wishing that you had a base C6 instead and youll be left wondering how youll get a C6 Z06....Choose the M3 if you may benefit from back seats or want a more practical performance car or the NSX if you want something really special.

Really... that's a tough call...

From what I understand, the C5 Z06 is not necessarily a better price/performance car (unless performance is strait line).

I actually was in the same predicament when I bought the NSX. I even drove all those cars (and more) before going with the NSX - I may have been biased by its looks though.

The M3 felt very similar in acceleration/cornering/braking – didn't "feel" as sporty though (go-cart like). I do love that it can go from sporty coupe to family coupe... it just didn't do it for me emotionally though - plus the maintenance costs are prohibitive.

The C5 Z06 does feel very torquey and it pulls very hard. It feels faster, probably because it is, but not a lot... maybe because you feel a lot less connected with the car. It was quite comfy but the interior was crap – it does float down the road a bit. I really don't like the way they look and I don't like how common they are. I considered it because of its power, but that didn't overwhelm me. I did drive an NA2 NSX when I was comparing.

I don't know if this helps... these are my experiences.

If you want the quickest car around. Look no further than Z06. for the price, no other car can touch it. Another $5000 worth of mods, It has no competition. But If you care more than just outright speed, NSX is a experience that no one can truly understand unless you own one. NSX combine timeless styling, impeccable handling and excellent craftsmanship in an affordable package. No other cars on the market has possess all these attribute. M3 are very nice car, but they are too common;just like corvette's.

Hi. Its me again. I know, I know....... I already I responded, but I thought I'd through something else out there...

You could do what I'm going to do... Buy 2 cars. I bought the NSX because its exotic, its sexy, it makes me feel good when I'm driving it (both on the ego and thrill to drive meters). Thought about buying an older Ferrari, but maintenance costs are prohibitive and the NSX is as fast or faster than many and handles better. Looked at the Vettes and I like 'em. They are fast, sound mean, have great toys, easy to mod, great ownership experience, but in the end, they were/are too many on the road. It's that need that we have to stand out... Hey, I drove Saabs for the last 7 years!

Nonetheless, I very much like going fast, but the NSX, other than an occasional track day, is a garage queen. He's not allowed to go outside to play in the rain, snow and isn't even allowed out when it has recently rained.

Thus, I've decided to get one of the few truly cool sedans out there... A Cadillac CTS-V. It's got the LS6 engine (400HP/395tq) from the C5 Z06 and acc'd to Cadillac it'll zip to 60 in 4.6 seconds. So, I get a somewhat practical from a size, people and/or baby hauling and comfort perspective and I can dust darn near everything on my way from point a to point b.

So, get a NSX and a CTS-V. Killer combo IMO. Both are fast, both are civilized when you want them to be and both are rare enough so that you won't see yourself coming and going.

Just a thought...................

I think you are really looking at 3 very different cars there...

1) NSX - without question is in a very limited class of sportscars, timeless and exotic without question. If you are looking to buy a unique sports exotic, the NSX is the only choice of the group.

2) C5 Z06 - For raw power in a 2 seater, this is a good choice, especially if nothing else matters (maybe look for a deal on a Viper as well if you are considering this). I also agree with the previous post which hints at a C6 Z06, which IMO would be the better choice if you are looking at buying a Vette.

3) BMW M3 - If you are looking for a 4 seat car with punch, of course of your selection there is no other choice than the M3. If the extra 2 seats aren't necessary I don't think you will be happy with an M3 if you are looking for a sports car. I personally have a very fast sedan, but it's no comparison to driving a well balanced 2 seat sports car when you are in the mood ;)

Good luck - It seems that if you can find one aspect that you are really looking for in your next car, your choice will be easy given the three you have to pick from.

jonathan

I really appriciate all your guys comments, i did some talking with my brother and decided im gonna go with the NSX. A couple main reasons is because i already have a 500hp Turbo RX-7, so when i feel the need for speed i have that, the exotic look and how rare it is on the streets really cant be looked past.Im gonna wait till thursday until autotrader.ca is updated and go sniff around, i found this one which looks like a killer bargain, what do you guys think? thanks again!

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=516523&adid=4715149

i just called and the person i talked to said it has not been in a previous accident, i will be going next week to look at it.

I have driven all 3 and it was easy for me to decide.
No contest. But its all in what you want out of it.
But what would you expect from an NSX board?
Each of these cars followers will tell you to buy the one they bought. :biggrin:
(but were right) :smile:

ya i guess thats why i posted on the nsx board and why im always on here when i got some free time... wanted to convince myself that its worth the price tag :)

Back