It's official..... the new NSX is a poorman's Hypercar

I'm still trying to figure out what is the threshold between a Supercar vs. Hypercar on the performance numbers.

Is it a power to weight ratio, HP/TQ, or acceleration number that makes a car a Hypercar? The new NSX has similar power to the Gallardo, but the Gallardo is considered a Supercar.

Good find Batmans. I love the press that this new NSX is generating and the company it keeps.

It would have been nice if the writer had given Honda some credit for the performance/hybrid power train with its Dual Note Concept in 2001. Instead he implies that Porsche was first with their concept in 2010.

Or did somebody else beat Honda to the punch?

Unfortunatley the automotive press pretty well controls the definition of "supercar" and "hypercar". I tend to go by what Clarkson calls it, and he called the original NSX a supercar, so it is one.

He will likely call the new one a supercar as well once it comes out.

It's hard to draw lines, "supercar" is different than "exotic", and while something like the 911 Turbo S is faster than many so-called "supercars", it's still considered a "sports car" because of the platform it's based on, etc etc...

Taxonomy is hard. I prefer to spend my time driving. :)

I think there are exotics that aren't really super cars or hypercars - like some of the really rare, expensive, but not truly performance-oriented GT cars (Maserati comes to mind...)

I concur. Honestly, I only view the Carrera GT and 918 as exotic. The rest IMO are just variants of a large base.

There is a taller order of Porsche that falls in Black ops/special forces:

porgt1005.jpg

porsche_gt1.jpg

There is a taller order of Porsche that falls in Black ops/special forces:

porgt1005.jpg

porsche_gt1.jpg

So you managed to name one other car lol. That's like saying the Nissan R390 GT1 was a legitimate production, exotic car. More like a handfull of forced production models that are more collectors items than vehicles meant to be enjoyed. There is nothing really street appealing about any of the two aforementioned vehicles even they are exotic in limited numbers. However, I would take the R390 GT1 over the 911 GT1 if it were based on aesthetics alone.

Anyways, the 911 name is still attached and technically a variant as I said :tongue:

Back