It's been fun...

Hi everyone, thank you all very much for all your assistance. After 6 months of searching daily for a good NSX for around 25K, I gave up yesterday when I found an 2001 S2000 at the local Carmax. I had the cash for it and it only had 18K miles on it. I will never give up on getting an NSX, but the S2000 should keep me satisfied for a few years while I save up.

Thanks again for everything,
WannaBeNSXr

Congrats! Please stop by whenever you want!

Originally posted by WannabeNSXr:
Hi everyone, thank you all very much for all your assistance. After 6 months of searching daily for a good NSX for around 25K, I gave up yesterday when I found an 2001 S2000 at the local Carmax. I had the cash for it and it only had 18K miles on it. I will never give up on getting an NSX, but the S2000 should keep me satisfied for a few years while I save up.

Thanks again for everything,
WannaBeNSXr

Congrats on the purchase, those are sweet little cars. If I had the $, I would take one of those too!

Be sure to check out S2ki, as they have some great info on the S2000 and a good club going. As a matter of fact, they have drive going on in April (I think) on the tail of the Dragon (on 411 south of Ktown) that I might try and go to this year. I haven't been able to spend much time in Knoxville since UT and really miss it there.

Enjoy the ride and check in with us over here from time too!

Mark

OK, so now you have to change your SN to
"wannabebutnotgonnabeNSX" ..
fie.gif

hehe, or maybe WannabeNSXrButS2KrForNow, eventually the older NSXs will get down in my price range. I would assume if/when Acura makes a change in the body style, the "first" generation style prices will drop some (based on my Corvette experience). I've had some fun already with the S2K ... raced (drag) a Mustang GT (at minimum had headers and open exhaust, I couldn't hear the S2K at all during the race because the stang was so loud)... it was basically a tie, but fun none the less. I don't know how the handling compares to the NSX, but the S2K's is sweet, there are 2 90 degree turns close to my house (one right after the other except the other way)... I normally drive the road at 35mph and slow down when I get to the curves... but a few nights ago, I just held 35, no brakes, and stayed in my lane, it took them both without any incident at all. I do have a question... is it true that the automatic ver of the pre 97 has 240hp ... if so, how do they turn 30hp off and on? different internals or just computer?? Anyway, later guys...

Originally posted by WannabeNSXr:
hehe, or maybe WannabeNSXrButS2KrForNow, eventually the older NSXs will get down in my price range. I would assume if/when Acura makes a change in the body style, the "first" generation style prices will drop some (based on my Corvette experience).

I think that depends on the 2nd gen car. Whatever happens I don't think it will be for any of the same reasons as wth the Corvettes.

There are many reasons for that, but the most important one is that there are simply too few new NSXs sold. At the current rate of a couple hundred new NSXs a year vs. maybe 8000 sold to date in the US, the new cars are never going to displace the old cars on the used market. Chevy on the other hand sells as many C5 Corvettes in a couple days as Acura sells NSXs in a year

Also, the C4 was just not a really good car. I don't want to get into a debate or insult anyone's car, but I think even most Corvette fans will agree the C4 has some issues. The C5 on the other hand is a very good car. The existing NSX is already a good car.

I do have a question... is it true that the automatic ver of the pre 97 has 240hp ... if so, how do they turn 30hp off and on? different internals or just computer??

All automatic NSXs (ALL years) have the same 3.0L engine and are rated at 252HP. This is due to a combination of reasons.. lower redline, different cams, different ECU settings.

Just my opinion: I think you made a big mistake. Try taking it back on their money back guarantee and buy an NSX. These two cars are not EVEN in the same league.

Again, my opinion. If the shoe fits...

------------------
91 Red/Ivory #2061

Not even in the same league?

Obviously, I do not agree. I love NSX's, but IMO there is not a perceptable difference in performance between an S2000 and an older NSX. Handling is about the same, and honestly, if you care about 1/4 times, I would give the NSX only a very slight edge. I would however give the S2000 the edge in the fun factor.

All things being equal, price and age, Id take the NSX all day long. BUT when I had to choose between an older NSX and a new S2000, I chose the S2000 and have not regreted that decision for even a day. That said, I wouldnt be surprised if I trade in the S2000 for a NSX (97+).

But saying that an older NSX and an S2000 are not in the same league is, IMO, underestimating the S2000. Now, if your giving the older NSX credit because some may be confused and think that it is a 97+, I would agree with you, but IMO 97- NSXs are not in the same league as 97+s.

Just my opinion, I adore NSXs no matter what year.

Originally posted by SPA_S2000:
Not even in the same league?

Yeah, not in the same league.

Obviously, I do not agree. I love NSX's, but IMO there is not a perceptable difference in performance between an S2000 and an older NSX.

I have to disagree. There is a torque difference. The S2000 is a Civic unless you have the pedal to the metal and you are at 6000+ rpms.

Handling is about the same, and honestly, if you care about 1/4 times, I would give the NSX only a very slight edge. I would however give the S2000 the edge in the fun factor.

In a motorcycle kind of way yes. Around town driving is no fun in an S2K. The car is fun when you are revving the shit out of it.

All things being equal, price and age, Id take the NSX all day long. BUT when I had to choose between an older NSX and a new S2000, I chose the S2000 and have not regreted that decision for even a day. That said, I wouldnt be surprised if I trade in the S2000 for a NSX (97+).

If you were going to do that, why buy the S2000 in the first place?

But saying that an older NSX and an S2000 are not in the same league is, IMO, underestimating the S2000.

Exotic vs. Convertable. Front engine vs. Mid engine. etc. etc. etc. The S2000 is a great car but it is a poor mans NSX.

Now, if your giving the older NSX credit because some may be confused and think that it is a 97+, I would agree with you, but IMO 97- NSXs are not in the same league as 97+s.

Same car, small improvments and changes.

Just my opinion, I adore NSXs no matter what year.

------------------
91 Red/Ivory #2061

[This message has been edited by NoClgDeg (edited 17 January 2003).]

I have to disagree. There is a torque difference. The S2000 is a Civic unless you have the pedal to the metal and you are at 6000+ rpms.

---Ok, I know this is an NSX forum, and I will say it again, I love NSX's, but have you driven an S2000? How about a civic? Either your totally unaware, or you have mastered the fine art of uneducated internet driving. Ive heard that before, and it is absolutely, totally, untrue. Ive driven all three many times.

That said, I wouldnt be surprised if I trade in the S2000 for a NSX (97+).

---I chose the S2000 over a pre (92 or 93) NSX, not a 97+. I wasnt looking to spend 97+ prices at the time.

Exotic vs. Convertable.
--I agree

Front engine vs. Mid engine. etc. etc. etc. The S2000 is a great car but it is a poor mans NSX.
---I dont think so at all, I believe that S2000s have many things that NSX's do not.I also think that NSXs would be better cars if they had some of those things. I would however like to see the S2000 have many of the things that NSXs have, ie higher torque. But it still is light years from a civic.

Now, if your giving the older NSX credit because some may be confused and think that it is a 97+, I would agree with you, but IMO 97- NSXs are not in the same league as 97+s.

---Ive driven both, as I am sure you have. I disagree that pre 97 and post 97 cars are essentially the same car. I perceive a meaningful amount of difference between the two actually, but I conceede that both are fantastic cars.

While I can agree that the S2000 isn't in the same league as the NSX, it is closer to the NSX than to the Civic. The 3 litre NSX has 270HP which isn't too far from the S2000's 240HP. As far as targa vs. convertible, the S2000 wins hands down. I have driven a number of NXS-Ts and they have nowhere near as open a feeling as my S2000. Good luck with the S2000, I am sure you will love it. I am also sure I will miss mine, when I give it up. But, I hope I will soothe the sense of loss by replacing my S2000 with a NSX.

Originally posted by SPA_S2000:
have you driven an S2000?

Yes! On several occasions. 00 Formula Red, 01 Spa Yellow Pearl, 02 Silver, 03 Grand Prix White. Let me summarize the experience as watching the digital tach make its way to 6000 and then BAM! VTEC and the loud snarl comes from the intake. I have driven it down the 1/4 plenty of 0-60, freeway, canyon runs etc. The car is happy on the track, not on the street.

How about a civic?

Let's see: 92 Si Hatch lime green, 95 EX black, 99 Si eletron blue, 00 Si milano red, 02 Si white, 99 DX light blue.

Either your totally unaware, or you have mastered the fine art of uneducated internet driving.

LOL! Or you are realizing that you made a mistake to in purchasing the S2000.

Ive heard that before, and it is absolutely, totally, untrue. Ive driven all three many times.

Join the club.

That said, I wouldnt be surprised if I trade in the S2000 for a NSX (97+).

---I chose the S2000 over a pre (92 or 93) NSX, not a 97+. I wasnt looking to spend 97+ prices at the time.

Exotic vs. Convertable.
--I agree

Front engine vs. Mid engine. etc. etc. etc. The S2000 is a great car but it is a poor mans NSX.

---I dont think so at all, I believe that S2000s have many things that NSX's do not.I also think that NSXs would be better cars if they had some of those things. I would however like to see the S2000 have many of the things that NSXs have, ie higher torque. But it still is light years from a civic.

---Ive driven both, as I am sure you have. I disagree that pre 97 and post 97 cars are essentially the same car. I perceive a meaningful amount of difference between the two actually, but I conceede that both are fantastic cars.

------------------
91 Red/Ivory #2061

Originally posted by NoClgDeg:
The S2000 is a great car but it is a poor mans NSX.

LOL! Imagine what some of the Ferrari guys are saying about the NSX.

"The NSX is a great car but it is a poor man's Ferrari."

tongue.gif

WannabeNSXr,

You've made an excellent decision in choosing the S2000 as an alternative to the NSX. I hope you'll enjoy the little roadster as much as I do. Suggestion: When you're ready to move up to the NSX, keep the little roadster so you'll have 2 Hondas in your stable and double your fun factor.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Zanardi 50 (edited 19 January 2003).]

NoClgDeg,

You're right...you can't compare an NSX with a S2000. The NSX is a supercar...period. But to compare an S2000 with a Civic is ridiculous. I own an S2000 and hope to eventually buy an NSX... hopefully I'll be able to afford a new one within the next year or two.
smile.gif
But the S2000 is a great little car and although you say it's not fun to drive for everyday driving...it's not supposed to be. It's a roadster...possibly one of the best roadster's ever created. A car being "fun" to drive for everyday driving is over-rated in my book. I'm not looking to have a blast when driving to work or when I'm off to the cleaners. If low end torque is a problem and you're looking to race, launch it properly and it takes TONS of cars off of the line. You're right in saying the NSX and the S2000 can't be compared. But the S2000 is still a great car!

[This message has been edited by Red Blur (edited 19 January 2003).]

Hey guys,

I have very much enjoyed the S2K so far, the point that an S2K is a poor man's NSX may have some relavance. My $100K a year job does not allow me to go out and purchase a new $90K NSX but. In fact, I had a specific budget of $25K (this is all I had cash, don't want any payments). For that $25K, I could either get a high mileage 91/92 NSX or a newer low mileage S2K. OK, I've wanted an NSX for years, I have NSX remote control cars, posters, models, 2 Kyosho metal 1/18 cars in my office... I love the cars! But realistically for that $25K, I think the S2K is a reasonable alternative. If I had $50K to spend, well ya, there would be a sweet NSX sitting in the garage...

WannabeNSXr

Look at the numbers, the S2000 is closer to the civic than the nsx. I love the S2000, but it isn't even a poor mans nsx. It is the civic(and rsx) 2.0L at it's highest evolutionary stage to date. IMO

Civic SI: 2.0L 160hp 132lb-ft (US)
Civic Type R: 2.0L 197hp 145lb-ft (overseas)
S2000: 2.0L 240hp 153lb-ft
NSX, 91: 3.0L 260hp 210lb-ft
NSX, 97: 3.2L 290hp 224lb-ft

[This message has been edited by sam snead (edited 21 January 2003).]

Look at the numbers, the S2000 is closer to the civic than the nsx. I love the S2000, but it isn't even a poor mans nsx. It is the civic(and rsx) 2.0L at it's highest evolutionary stage to date. IMO
Civic SI: 2.0L 160hp 132lb-ft (US)
Civic Type R: 2.0L 197hp 145lb-ft (overseas)
S2000: 2.0L 240hp 153lb-ft
NSX, 91: 3.0L 260hp 210lb-ft
NSX, 97: 3.2L 290hp 224lb-ft

Oh common Sam, you really mean that? I mean can you honestly tell us, without knowing that your BSing, that what you have posted above actually means ANYTHING? What happens if I slam a turbo or a supercharger into my S2000? Does that make it way better car than an NSX? I say no, but your reasoning says yes. Jam the same into a civic and your also saying that that is as good as an NSX.

HP and torque numbers tell so little about the story. Look at a Lotus Elise. Is that a better car than an NSX? Some will say that it is way better. Its numbers are, depending upon transplant, identical to ITR numbers.

If your resorting to HP and Torque figures to define how good a car a NSX is, I wonder why it is you like NSXs. There is so much more beyond those numbers, which IMO are the weakest part of the NSX story. Same for the S2000.

I think you're all being very silly.

"Is the S2000 more like a Civic than an NSX?"

Heck, that's like asking, "Is the Civic more like a pickup truck than an NSX?" or "Is the S2000 more like a speedboat than a single-engine airplane?"

They are three different cars.

The Civic is a great car if you're looking for a high-quality subcompact under $20,000 new.

The S2000 is a great car if you're looking for a great-handling high-revving two-seat convertible, and its price new is a bargain in that segment.

The NSX is a great car if you're looking for a high-performance supercar, price no object.

They're three different cars. "Is the S2000 more like a Civic than an NSX?" Who cares! They're all great cars for what they do, and any of them can be enjoyed.

Note that I am not flaming the S2000. In fact, I highly respect its capabilities - specially on a track. There are indeed many S2000 drivers who are faster on a track than NSX drivers.

However, let's not kid ourselves into thinking that the machines themselves are in the same league.

Look at the numbers, the S2000 is closer to the civic than the nsx. I love the S2000, but it isn't even a poor mans nsx. B]

The NSX and the S2000 are NOT in the same league. There is a HUGE $50,000 price difference between the 2. But give credit where credit is due as it IS one of the greatest roasdsters every created. If you were going to compare the S2000 with other vehicles, put it in the same category as an Audi TT, Boxster S, Z4, 350Z, etc. not with Civics & Accords. You would thing NSX owners would realize this more than other car owners...

[This message has been edited by Red Blur (edited 22 January 2003).]

Back