Italy raises speed limits for safer motorways

Lud

Legendary Member
PrimeAdmin
10 Feb 2003

Speed limits are being raised in Italy to improve road safety.

Italian transport minister Pietro Lunardi believes higher speeds will improve the traffic flow, and encourage motorists to pay attention. The change will affect three-lane motorways, with the limit raising to 150km/h (93mph), from January 1, 2004. Lunardi went on to say that psychologists and doctors say people who go faster drive better and are more careful, and that only 9 per cent of fatal accidents were caused by speeding.

The decision has been praised by the Assocation of British Drivers. ABD spokesman Nigel Humphries was ecstatic. "It seems common sense is percolating through the road safety establishment in Italy." He feels a similar speed would be sensible for UK motorways, where "no-one would be stopped for less than 100mph."

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 12 February 2003).]

http://www.hwysafety.com/hwy_montana_2001.htm

This must be in conjunction with increased driver awareness training and a system of qualifications where your skill in handling a vehicle is measured would maximize these results.

In Germany, US drivers are called $10 dollar drivers, because literally, they pay hundreds for the privilage and their education is more formal and indepth.

In the US, its treated as the right to drive. I can't even go into how many of my friends and relatives were injured and lucky to be alive after being hit by those without licenses or simply don't know how to drive in our environment.

[This message has been edited by JaguarXJ6 (edited 12 February 2003).]

I don't even think I paid $10 for my drivers license, but I can't really remember since I got it 6 years ago. I was 16 at the time (which, looking back on it, is MUCH too young to be trusted with so much responsibility) and I haven't been back to the DMV since. Its sad how little is required of American drivers.

Unfortunately I don't think the attitude will ever change here, at least not until our public transportation systems improve.
Driving is an absolute necessity for many people in America, and as much as I'd love to see it happen, I just can't imagine many being in favor of implementing a more demanding licensing process.

Originally posted by JaguarXJ6:
In Germany, US drivers are called $10 dollar drivers, because literally, they pay hundreds for the privilage and their education is more formal and indepth.

In the US, its treated as the right to drive. I can't even go into how many of my friends and relatives were injured and lucky to be alive after being hit by those without licenses or simply don't know how to drive in our environment.

[This message has been edited by JaguarXJ6 (edited 12 February 2003).]

[This message has been edited by cxr344 (edited 14 February 2003).]

Two reasons why I would love to have different skill classes.. Reduced insurance rates and maybe even reduced registration fees.
smile.gif

I agree. I think our system would be served markedly better if:

(1) The age and stringency required to get a license was increased substantially, and

(2) The overall speed limit, as a result, was raised to 90 mph.

The only other point is that, having lived in a place like Singapore where regular auto checkups are mandated, I think it makes a lot of sense to have people go through a comprehensive annual auto checkup. Not just emissions (like we do now), but brakes, tires, shocks, and bodyframe so that when you are travelling at highspeeds on the highway, you are not putting yourself, or anybody else, in danger, and the car is mechanically sound.

Regards.

I am all for having classes of licenses. Perhaps we could get different colored plates for people who are "qualfied" to go speeds of 100 MPH. Say we get Green plates. Those that can only drive 70MPH get the white plates. White plates are NEVER alowed in the "fast" or "passing lane".

I am back home in Toronto right now and the speed limits are even worse! 12 lane hiway, 100 kph... come on!

Originally posted by cxr344:
I don't even think I paid $10 for my drivers license

According to the Pennsylvania DMV website, you paid 30 dollars for an initial permit and four-year license. It costs 25 dollars to renew it for another four years.

Originally posted by cxr344:
I can't really remember since I got it 6 years ago.

You might want to check it and see if it has expired. I can assure you that it will cost a lot less to renew it, than it would to pay the fine for driving without a license.

Originally posted by NSXaholic:
I agree. I think our system would be served markedly better if:

(1) The age and stringency required to get a license was increased substantially, and

bet you wouldn't say that if you were still a teen
wink.gif

------------------
-Rich
ph_tac_ext_tl.jpg

2002 TRD Tacoma SR5 4x4 5-Speed

Back