Issues with buying a Canadian Car?

Are there any you guys out there that have searched for your vehicles in CA? What are the Pros and Cons of this, and if you bought out of country, what has been your experience?

Overall, would you recommend to someone the prospect of searching in CA and not just the U.S.

Thanks in advance for the advice and experience shared!

Other than Odometer reading record keeping issues, and KPH speedo, I don't see any thing wrong with getting a Canadian car, as long as it is well kept.

But since you are in SD, why go cross country for you car search? There are plenty of nice condition NSX around.

Im guessing you found a canadian car that your interested in? I met up with another nsx prime member that has the canadian model and I had expected there to be a few noticable differences but there was only two that jump out at you. 1. the speedo gauge in KM. 2. some of the engine bay instructions are in french. Other than that their identical. He registered the car in california so I'm guessing that the emissions are about the same. His was a 91. If I had to choose between a high mileage usa car or a low milaege canadian car I would probably go canadian. just my 2c

The only issues are the ones already stated. Interesting that you are buying a Canadian NSX, because most of us including myself, got our NSX's from the US.
The selection of NSX's in the States is much better.

I'm sure you must be getting a good deal.

Bram

Actually, my research would suggest that as the Canadian dollar strengthened against the US$ over the last 5 years, it has been much more cost effective to buy a US car than a Canadian car (ie. the spread has widened) and the market price in Canada has not adjusted (dropped) to maintain competitiveness.

So, what you're left with is (1) a smaller market with less choice at (2) a higher price. Are you sure you've done the math right?

Thank you for the insight, fellas.

I have looked into the market, both automotively and dollar-wise.

I haven't seen anything that has blown me away in Canada, just wondering if it wouldn't be a bad idea to include our Canook bretheren in my search.

I mean, if I plan on flying anywhere to pick up the right car when it appears, why limit myself only our part of the continent.

Plus I think it'd be kinda neat to have a KPH speedo. It freaks people out on an empty highway when you ask them how fast they think you're going. (had a digital one in high school) :D

FYI
I personally know of Canadian border police impounding a boat being delivered to a buyer in Canada. The border police required a 40% fee to have it returned. This was a $150,000 boat!
*YES! I know hard to believe.*
This owner of the boat said it is not an uncommon thing to happen to high priced items at the border. He said there were many cars and boats at this impound lot. My suggestion if buying in Canada, arrange to meet the buyer at the border.

Back