IS Type R carbon fiber hood harder to paint than FRP????

baynsac

I have a Type R carbon fiber hood and I dont want it exposed I like it better painted, can I paint it and have the same results as if it was frp? Does it need to be sanded or primered? Or is there any extra steps you need to take than a regular hood without the carbon fiber???

Thanks

If you don't want CF, why not save the money and get a FRP hood? For weight savings, wet lay CF vs. FRP is very minimal. Tensile strength would be similar, if not the same for both.

I have a Type R carbon fiber hood and I dont want it exposed I like it better painted, can I paint it and have the same results as if it was frp? Does it need to be sanded or primered? Or is there any extra steps you need to take than a regular hood without the carbon fiber???

Thanks

depending on the outer surface on the hood, if it has a gel coat finish (fresh out of the mould)... make sure you clean it with a good degreaser/wax remover before you scuff it to paint. If it has a UV automotive clear coat you might want to block it down to get rid of any orange peal before painting.

Which hood is it?

depending on the outer surface on the hood, if it has a gel coat finish (fresh out of the mould)... make sure you clean it with a good degreaser/wax remover before you scuff it to paint. If it has a UV automotive clear coat you might want to block it down to get rid of any orange peal before painting.

Which hood is it?

Its the VIS Type R hood in carbon fiber. Any help would be great. One body shop told me its much harder to paint and they passed on the job lol. Thats why I asked this question, I thought that he just didn't know what he is doing so before I go to another shop and wanted to see how people here on prime did it.

Thanks

I recently bought a VIS Type-R hood and am very happy with it.

Painting it should not be a problem for any qualified shop I think.

The carbon on top was very beautiful to look at and several people suggest I would leave it like that (it matched the weave on my Type-R wing perfectly) but I had it painted.

The only issue the shop had was that they in the end put nine (9) layers of paint on it to avoid the CF-weave to keep shining through.

The end-results was more than worth it though :smile: It matches the rest of my car exactly and I am very happy now. The hood looks just like it is just OEM and have had many compliments so far.

The only issue the shop had was that they in the end put nine (9) layers of paint on it to avoid the CF-weave to keep shining through.
I had my Procar hood painted on the top side with good results. It is still possible in some conditions to see the weave but I dont see this is a problem. If its good enough for OEM Honda hood, F40's and Zonda, then seeing the weave is good enough for me too.

The bodyshop did suggest they could add extra layers of paint to completely loose the CF weave but also commented that this did seem at odds with buying a lightweight hood in the first place ... It is also possible that you may still get the weave showing through at a later date as the hood 'drys' but you should be able to correct (if required) by getting the hood mopped.

At the end of the day, if you're happy then its obviously the right decision for you.

Regards,

I have the same hood from VIS, and will be taking it in next week to have it painted and installed.

Because the hood is carbon fiber, my paint shop (Earl Scheib) said it'll take an extra half an hour. 90 minutes to paint and install, and for only $150!

I had my Procar hood painted on the top side with good results. It is still possible in some conditions to see the weave but I dont see this is a problem. If its good enough for OEM Honda hood, F40's and Zonda, then seeing the weave is good enough for me too.

The bodyshop did suggest they could add extra layers of paint to completely loose the CF weave but also commented that this did seem at odds with buying a lightweight hood in the first place ... It is also possible that you may still get the weave showing through at a later date as the hood 'drys' but you should be able to correct (if required) by getting the hood mopped.

At the end of the day, if you're happy then its obviously the right decision for you.

Regards,

I recently bought a VIS Type-R hood and am very happy with it.

Painting it should not be a problem for any qualified shop I think.

The carbon on top was very beautiful to look at and several people suggest I would leave it like that (it matched the weave on my Type-R wing perfectly) but I had it painted.

The end-results was more than worth it though :smile: It matches the rest of my car exactly and I am very happy now. The hood looks just like it is just OEM and have had many compliments so far.

All three of you guys above, so all your nsx in some conditions you can see the CF weave? Or is it possible to not have that by applying 9 coats? I want it to look factory like the car came with it. Do you think I will be happy with the results ? I want it to look berlina black like the rest of the car.

Do I need to sand it primemer it or do something to take the clear coat off or anything like that?

Thanks

It can be seen but doesn't detract from the car. Color match will be down to your paintshop who in theory should match ok but this will depend on your paint condition prior to paint.

As I said, I recently had a good look at the NA2 NSX-R here in the UK and even with all the prep work that Honda do (special primers etc), it was still possible to see the weave.

In both cases it is dependant on light conditions etc. Darker colors will show more, mine is Magnum Grey which is quite dark. To see a Berlina Black have a look at either Vancehu or Evo 575 photos or actual car if you're local?

Mine doesn't show all over and is less with a recent use of the mop.

regards,

All three of you guys above, so all your nsx in some conditions you can see the CF weave? Or is it possible to not have that by applying 9 coats? I want it to look factory like the car came with it. Do you think I will be happy with the results ? I want it to look berlina black like the rest of the car.

Do I need to sand it primemer it or do something to take the clear coat off or anything like that?

In my case the answer is a simple NO.
My new painted VIS hood looks like it came on the car from the factory. I have not really tried every type of lighting, but with all that paint on the hood, I don't think I will ever say any of that CF-weave back in the future. The job was very professionally done.

Can't help you on the prime part, the shop didn't tell me anything special about that. But I think if your shop is worth their money, the should be able to make it look just as OEM as the rest of your car.

I'll be painting my whole car soon, and I also got the VIS Type-R hood in the garage. My paint guy said carbon fiber is not a problem, though my friends don't like the idea that I'll be painting the hood because it looks so niiiiice.

ni

I'll be painting my whole car soon, and I also got the VIS Type-R hood in the garage. My paint guy said carbon fiber is not a problem, though my friends don't like the idea that I'll be painting the hood because it looks so niiiiice.

ni

Keep us updated and if you get a chance can you ask your body shop guy if he has to do any special procedures to make sure the weave is not visible. Also how much is he charging you if you don't mind. You can pm/email if you like also. Yeah I really like this beautifull hood and wish I didn't have to paint it. But over all on the car not just sitting in my garage I think it will look way better painted.

Back