Is this worth 58k?

Hi folks,
I just located at 2001 NSX for 58k with 17k miles.
My wife just told me if they take 50k with 10k down, we can get it now.
Here is the pic
http://images.cobaltgroup.com/5/1/2/121145215.jpg
Its at Ryans Open Road Acura in NJ. Its 6.9 miles from where I live.

Also, is anyone from near Monroe NJ?

Hi,
They want 58k. I was going to try and first offer 50k including the 10k down payment. Basically taking off 8k off their asking price.

So you think their asking price of 58k is ok?
Im going to head down there now for a look.
Its certified acura nsx from their description.

Goto Acura.com, type 08831 in the zip and the first one will show Ryans Open Road Acura. Goto the site and do a search for a used nsx, there is only one. Silverstone grey 2001 nsx with 17k miles. Its 6 speed manual.

My wife said she is willing to offer 50k which includes 10k down if they would take the deal now. I dont think they will, but I am willing to go as high as 55k. I just want to make sure its worth it.

More info, can anyone check on carfax?

Stock Number: 1T000098

VIN: JH4NA21681T000098

Certified: Yes

The worst thing to do is to "rush" into a large purchase like this. Again, follow the purchase process in the FAQ. Getting an independent inspection done is one of the most important things to do.

Hopefully a prime member that lives somewhere near northern NJ can also take a look at the car for you.

Thanx,
So even if the Acura dealer was selling the car and its certified preowned? I should still get it inspected?

Thanks

Get the car checked by an independent, unbiased NSX mechanic.

Dealers sometimes make up stories, trust me, I know.

Don't pay their asking price! Any dealer in the world sets its price at a level that gives them some room to come down during negotiations. They might not come down to $50K, but I would be very surprised if they weren't willing to sell it for $55K (although you might have to wheel and deal to get them there).

If you need a qualified place to do a pre-purchase inspection, that dealer is about 40 miles from Davis Acura, in Langhorne PA, who has Bernie, the best NSX tech on the East Coast.

Hi,
Just found out that it was recently listed for $62,500 and was dropped recently to 58,999. The car was there for 2 monthgs they said. Who knows. I dunno if they will drop it down to 55k, but if they do, im sure they will give me very little for my 2 trade-ins.
I want no less then 15k for the 2 trade-ins. If I sell them on my own, i can get at least 18k for both and up to 20k for both. Anyway, Im mainly looking to finance 40k. If I have to, Ill put the cash down for the rest. I want to keep my payments at around 840 per month for 5 yrs at 4.9% interest at most. Thats what Im paying for my wifes 2004 bmw x5 3.0. It was 50k, we put down 10k financed bout 40k, monthly is 839.

btw, insurance for a new 2004 NSX is $1,200 for 6 months if only 3 cars in our policy and only $900 for 6 months if we got rid of our 98 nissan maxima. Werid. Anyway, 1800 per yr for new nsx insurance is good. My total cost monthly is about 1,000 per month.
Not bad. For an exotic, thats awesome. I always thought to own an NSX would cost me over 2k per month with insurance.
Im glad Im married and 33. (C=

Anyway, wouldnt a used NSX (2001) insurance be less then 2004?

Thanks,

Unfortunately, cash is king. For exotic cars, I make it a point to pay cash so I have greater bargaining power.

If you can't pay cash, you should reconsider.

The only time I finance is for my business, so I can write off the interest and/or lease payments.

i used to be the sales manager at open rd acura and although i havent seen this particular nsx, i know the current sales manager eric burke and he usually finds some of the cleanest rides out there! i know this car didnt come from an auction- it was purchased of a customer who just "had" to sell it.. I think 58k is a very fair price for this car. Galves wholesale value is 53,500 and that doesnt include certification which costs us(the dealer) 1k. Furthermore any dealer who is will to front 55k is allowed to profit a couple grand... We just recently sold our 2001 nsx to a prime member for 58k. Funny thing is that they sell for more at highline car auctions than to retail buyers. strange, huh?

Thanx Bridgewater,
Hey, u in helmetta?
Is that the 25mph speed zone trap? (C=
I like up in Monroe, and drive by the 25mph zone daily. Cop always waiting there. hehhe.
Why did u go down to bridgewater acura instead of openroad?

Hey, I have to agree with "Bridgewater Acura". I am the Prime member who bought their 2001 NSX. I shopped for about 1 year before making this purchase. I know what is out there and surprisingly, a lot of these cars are sort of trashed.

I will also tell you had the deal not worked with Bridgewater, the Silverstone NSX you are considering would have been my next consideration.

I had the disadvantage of living in CA and flying to see cars, which (unusually) seemed to all be located on the east coast. I found most CA cars were high mileage cars, a natural consequence of being able to drive them most of the year because of our nice wheather.

I think buying an Acura Certified car is more than worth it. I looked at an '01 right down the road from Bridgewater at a non-Acura dealership and though the car had very low miles on it, (approx. 6K) the car itself upon close examination looked like it had not been well cared for. Tires and the driver's seat looked quite worn. I don't even want to talk about their sales manager telling me he had personally put over 3,000 miles on the car! What the hell is that all about?

Though the car looked good from maybe 20 feet away, as you got closer you could see the car had been heavily detailed to make it presentable. There were buffer burns on the paint, a missing spoiler/3rd brake light bolt and a crack in the underside of the spoiler. To me it also appeared the car had some paint work.

The salesperson I spoke with could only focus on the car came with the remainder of the factory warranty....OK, that is not bad, but it does not excuse the appearance of blended paint work with the dealership denying the car had ever had any damage or paint work.

I could go on and on about that car - suffice it to say when I saw the Bridgewater NSX, I knew it was the one.

Finally, the Acura certification is priceless, it extends the factory warranty to 5 years and 60K miles and then you can (I did) purchase the wrap-around Acura-Care factory warranty, taking it to 7 years and 100K bumper to bumper. For me, considering the cost of some of the components on these cars, that was worth the exrta money, (cheap peace of mind).

Again. Bridgewater Acura did me right by selling me that warranty at a fair price. I know they still made a couple of hundred dollars on it, but that was OK with me. They need to pay their bills too.

For me, as I could not locate a private party with a low mileage car that was in excellent shape with the warranty to 7/100, the only other option was an Acura dealership. My 2 cents worth.

By the way, my '01 is presenty in transport (Horseless Carriage) across the country and I expect to have it within 10 days. Can't wait!

Good luck,
Cairo

I would say 55K would be a great price. I would probably be ok with 56.5 though. That car has really low miles.

Good luck!

I guess I am just way off then, I think that 60K for a '01 with low miles is an excellent price, so long as it is certified.
Cairo

Hi,
Yeah, I think 58k is not bad, but ofcourse Id like to pay no more then 55k for it. The reason is cuz I wouldnt mind a 97 since its basically the same car and I could prob get it for 10k-12k less then a 2001 model. I wouldnt mind going for a 2002, but I dont want to spend the additional 10k-12k more for it.

I like the way the pre 2002 looks, but I dont like popup lights, I like the new HID, but I dont like the way the new HID bumper looks without the blinkers. Know what I mean? Its a love/hate relationship.

Anyway, Id much rather spend 40-45k for a 97 nsx with low miles then a 2001 for 58k. If I can get a 2002 for 63k, I might just go that route. My wife still prefers I lease a new 2004 nsx. I looked and couldnt find a 2004 silverstone exterior/black interior or 2004 black/black 6 speed nsx.

Anyway, Im on my way back to take a closer look for any problems with the car. It is certified, which is a good thing.

Thanx

NSXNXT said:
I want no less then 15k for the 2 trade-ins. If I sell them on my own, i can get at least 18k for both and up to 20k for both.
Sounds like you're better off selling them yourself.

Often, this depends on the kind of car and the dealership. If you're trading in a late-model Acura at an Acura dealership, they know how much they can get for it and will sell it themselves. If you're trading in a couple of trucks, it's more of a risk - they're probably going to sell them at the auction rather than at retail - so they might not give you as much as they're worth.

Decide what you want to do. Just remember - if you would be upset if the car gets sold to someone else, then you might want to do something sooner rather than continuing to sit on your hands...

Hi all,
Well, I went back to the dealer, they did a carfax for me, it came back clean.
I looked closely at the nsx which is in the showroom for any dings or dents, I couldnt find any. Like I said before, the front driver side lip under the bumper was the only thing scuffed probably from low curb on driveway. The driver side seat was abit worn. The sales manager also told me we will go for test drive before I take delivery as well just to make sure nothing was wrong with the nsx.

Anyway, we submitted loan app today as well as put down a deposit on the 2001 silverstone nsx.

btw, whats the average interest rate for 5 yr loan on an exotic car? Is it less then normal cars?
Thanx

Have you asked to talk to the previous owner? Even if this looks like th perfect NSX for you, I would insist on it. I would also get an independant inspection. Even if it is perfect, the peace of mind is worth the extra couple hundred dollars.

My $.02

Yeah, I would also say sell the trucks on your own. You will never get from the dealer what you could get selling them yourself.

What price did you arrive at? Did they come down at all? If they are not willing to negotiate ont he selling price, consider some other things, 7year100K warranty, car cover, etc.

In our current economic situation, I would be amazed that they are not willing to do something on the price and other things as well if they know they have a qualified buyer ready to take the car.

I would think credit unions are doing loans at about 4.5 % at present also, depening upon the amount of money financed and the number of years which you finance.

Well, good luck, I hope you are able to get the car.

Cairo

Hi,
They did come down by 900 bucks to 58k.
I think they dont go down much cuz it was listed at 62,999 and was recently dropped to 59,999 then 58,999 all within 2 months.
I would prefer paying 55k. Ive already told them if they cant get me 15k for the 2 trucks (If I sell on my own, I think I can get min of 18k) I wont pay more then 55k for the nsx. I will only put in 15k in cash and finance the 40k. BUT, if they get me 15k for the trucks, I will be willing to pay the 58k. Id only have to pull out 3k cash, 15k trade-ins, 40k finance at 4.9% for 5 yrs.

Im going to push for the 7 yr/100k mile waranty.
Whats does that cover? They told me I have 1 more yr warranty plus 7 yr warranty from the certified acura
thing. Is this what you were taling about? Whats the wraparound warranty? bumoer to bumper? I thuink this one ends in 1 year and the powertrain...etc is warranted for another 7 years. Im abit confused.
btw, what did u pay for the additional 7yr/100k mile wraparound warranty? This means bumper to bumper?
Thanks,

NSXNXT said:
They did come down by 900 bucks to 58k.
I think they dont go down much cuz it was listed at 62,999 and was recently dropped to 59,999 then 58,999 all within 2 months.
Whereas two months ago, when it was listed at $62,999, they probably would have sold it for... $58K. :p

NSXNXT said:
Ive already told them if they cant get me 15k for the 2 trucks (If I sell on my own, I think I can get min of 18k) I wont pay more then 55k for the nsx.
Good. I think that's a good strategy. Stick to it!

NSXNXT said:
They told me I have 1 more yr warranty plus 7 yr warranty from the certified acura thing. Is this what you were taling about? Whats the wraparound warranty? bumoer to bumper? I thuink this one ends in 1 year and the powertrain...etc is warranted for another 7 years. Im abit confused.
You don't sound confused. Sounds like you understand exactly what the certified warranty entails.

Just so you know, the Acura certified warranty, that comes from the car being an Acura Certified used car, covers the powertrain for 1 additional year over the factory original warranty. So that shoudl take you to 5 years and 60K. When you buy the Acura Care extended warranty, (apparently Acura dealers refer to this a the wraparound warranty) that takes you out to 7 years and 100k, just like the original warranty that came with the car, no deductible, bumper to bumper with the excetion of natural wear items like brakes, tires, belts, battery, etc. That was how it was explained to me by Acura.

Now they tewll you that additional 2 years and 40K miles cost you $1,995.00 . . . . I do not believe that. I believe their cost is $995.00, but not 100% certain. I know you can buy it cheaper than $1,995 though.

Thanks guys,
I want to purchase any additional warranty they offer on the NSX.
I saw some of the quotes on this forum about A/C compressor for 3g..etc freaked me out.

So besides the certified preowned warranty they give on the nsx i want, i can purchase the wrap-around (Acura Care extended warranty) for $1,995 or lower?

Im just abit confused about the warranty. If its a 2001 car, the 7 yr would start from 2001? Does this mean its not a 7 yr warranty?
Know what I mean? This is what Im confused about.
They say powertrain warranty for 1 more year only.
I dunno, im feeling dumber and dumber. Maybe I was just not listening to the dealer carefully since my jaw was down on the ground looking over the nsx (C=. Hehhe

The warranty period begins from the day the car is first sold.

So, regardless of what month/year it is, if it was first sold in June of 2002, the 7 years would go to June of 2009. That is if you buy the extended warranty. If you do not, you have the original manufactuerer warranty of 4 years and 48K bumper to bumper; then if the car is Acura Certified you get an additional year of coverage on the drivetrain only. That is how that was explained to me.

Then if you buy the 7 year 100K, you actually get the original coverage warranty carried over to, assuming a 6/02 service date, of 6/09 bumper to bumper.

Hope that makes it a littel clearer.

Back