Is this Red 95 worth it? JH4NA1184ST000614

M-P

Experienced Member
I found this car on autotrader this week and went and checked it out yesterday. I didn't get to drive it or hear it start since it was in the showroom and pretty close to closing time.

$27,900 1995 Red NSX-T with 105k miles

The car actually has just over 105k miles on it now and the engine bay is absolutely immaculate. I did notice some issues though which are mostly cosmetic.

-The paint is not nearly as good as it is in the pictures. It isn't faded, but the front and rear bumpers look to have been resprayed (didn't even remove the leaves in the bumper before painting as they are red now too)

-There are chips on the hood, headlight covers, side mirrors.

-All the wheels have some form of curb rash.

-The door lock rod ends? are broken off and the passenger door light cover is missing.

-The button on the door to pop the truck doesn't work and the leather on the driver's seat is cracking.

-The front tires have maybe 40% life, but the rears are pretty new.

And maybe a few other minor things that I am not noticing. Now there are a few other things worth noting.

The sales guy (I think maybe the owner) said that he is going to have the car fully serviced over the next couple of weeks which would bump the price $4000 to $31,900. I do not remember every part that he said would be replaced but here is a short list of what I do remember...

-Timing Belt
-Water Pump
-Clutch Disc
-Clutch Pressure Plate
-Clutch Throwout Bearing
-Brake Pads
-All fluids

What do you guys think?

Re: Is this Red 95 worth it?

Keep looking.

Keep looking.

I agree. That car's price might be decent if all that maintenance was already done and the paint was good. Look at the for sale section here, there's gotta be some cleaner cars with less miles for similar money.

The leaves in the bumper thing alone would've made me dismiss the car completely. Who knows wtf else they've done to it. All those problems and you haven't even started it yet?

I agree. That car's price might be decent if all that maintenance was already done and the paint was good. Look at the for sale section here, there's gotta be some cleaner cars with less miles for similar money.

The leaves in the bumper thing alone would've made me dismiss the car completely. Who knows wtf else they've done to it. All those problems and you haven't even started it yet?

I was thinking the same, but figured I would ask anyway. Finding one that was only 8 miles from my house was cool, but too good to be true.

In case your still thinking about it I vote keep looking.

You can probably get a good condition low-average mile 95-96 in that price range 30-35K. Don't go by wiki as a guide as prices have dropped drastically 15-25% in most cases 95-05

It's a buyer's market, don't rush.

Last edited:

Welcome :smile:

I agree, keep looking. There will always be rock chips, but respraying just the bumpers makes me think it had more damage than just rock chips.

The big thing you want to know is the maintenence history for these cars. The more documentation the better. Having recent service for the big ticket items helps.

Good Luck

Yea, it is no rush at all. I just got a job in Virginia and am moving there after I graduate in May, so one less car would be nice until then. I have to go check out places to live in the next couple of weeks, so maybe I will go check this one out while I am close to it.

$25,980 Black 1991 Acura NSX (91,673 miles)

I like this one better.

Another bit of advise, decide whether or not the targa top is important and if you want the more powerful drivetrain NA2 (6 speed/3.2L).

I bought a '91 and later upgraded to a '95 within a year. I should have driven a few more, but fell for the 3rd one I saw. If I had driven a targa, I would have waited, but there were not that many in the market at the time and in my price range.

The coupes definitely feel more solid in corners, but I really wanted the open top since it is a summer car.

Good luck in your search, you have a ton more to choose from in this market. Prices are just insanely low compared to a few years ago. Don't be afraid to travel for the right car.

Regards,
Bill

Another bit of advise, decide whether or not the targa top is important and if you want the more powerful drivetrain NA2 (6 speed/3.2L).

I bought a '91 and later upgraded to a '95 within a year. I should have driven a few more, but fell for the 3rd one I saw. If I had driven a targa, I would have waited, but there were not that many in the market at the time and in my price range.

The coupes definitely feel more solid in corners, but I really wanted the open top since it is a summer car.

Good luck in your search, you have a ton more to choose from in this market. Prices are just insanely low compared to a few years ago. Don't be afraid to travel for the right car.

Regards,
Bill

Just put on headers and a good exhaust and you'll have the same power as a NA2.

No need for the extra power from an NA2. This will be my slower, mostly stock daily driver...I have my 2600lb 400+ whp FD RX-7 for when I want to go fast.

Targa vs. Non-Targa is a good question though. I'm not a fan of convertibles (if they made a factory coupe S2000 I would probably be driving one now), but the Targa is a different story that I am pretty neutral about at this point.

Last edited:

I drove a few of the newer RX-7s,, no comparison. It was light and quick but it just didn't have the feel as the NSX. You will get an NSX and soon realize your not driving the RX-7 at all :)

I drove a few of the newer RX-7s,, no comparison. It was light and quick but it just didn't have the feel as the NSX. You will get an NSX and soon realize your not driving the RX-7 at all :)

I hope not...I've spent too much money on this thing to let it just sit :frown:. But it would be nice to enjoy another car as much as I enjoy RX7's...if I don't end up getting an NSX it will probably be another RX-7, but I could used a slight change.

Let him do all the service. See if he can get the money he wanted afterwards.

I suspect he will drop it back down after every thing is done.

I hope not...I've spent too much money on this thing to let it just sit :frown:. But it would be nice to enjoy another car as much as I enjoy RX7's...if I don't end up getting an NSX it will probably be another RX-7, but I could used a slight change.

RX-7 fan huh. I used to drive a GSL-SE RX-7. It was a pretty fast and good handling car back in the mid 80's. It was one fun car. Never drove the last generation though.

Be sure to give a good test drive on a Targa top. It's normal to have some type of body noise, but it drove me crazy. If you go targa, might want to look into a 97 + to compensate for the added weight.

RX-7 fan huh. I used to drive a GSL-SE RX-7. It was a pretty fast and good handling car back in the mid 80's. It was one fun car. Never drove the last generation though.

Yep, I love the cars. I had a Silver 93 with 365whp on a stock motor for 2.5 yrs, then went on to a twin turbo 350Z for 3 years, then went back to the RX-7. I have had the black 3rd gen. for 1.5 years now and the silver 1st gen. for about 7 months.

I was originally looking at either an NSX or a Viper GTS, but have decided against the Viper because it is basically a slightly larger, V-10 powered version of my RX-7. Figure something a bit different is in order.

Back