is there such a thing as the "Type J" ?

OK Honda faithful, I heard mention of a "Type J" variant of the NSX, of which only 16 were made.. and they came with twin turbos from the factory. Does these cars exist? I have never heard of them, Type R from Japan, yes, but Type J? With twin snails? Can it be so?

Nope but we do have factor x and others out there with turbo set ups.

mithridates said:
OK Honda faithful, I heard mention of a "Type J" variant of the NSX, of which only 16 were made.. and they came with twin turbos from the factory. Does these cars exist? I have never heard of them, Type R from Japan, yes, but Type J? With twin snails? Can it be so?

The "Type J" variant of the NSX you describe above is as common as the four headed, man-eating haddock fish beast of Aberdeen...

That is.... It does not exist... :wink:

hoops7k said:
No ... Not that I have ever heard of...FI from Honda in a NSX...???

There was a twin turbo Honda NSX produced by the factory however... 3 of them from memory. It's specification was quite different...
- Complete carbon fibre chassis
- Longitudinal engine mounting (as opposed to the transverse configuration in the standard NSX)
- Built specifically for Le Mans...

AU_NSX said:
The "Type J" variant of the NSX you describe above is as common as the four headed, man-eating haddock fish beast of Aberdeen...

There was a twin turbo Honda NSX produced by the factory however... 3 of them from memory. It's specification was quite different...
- Longitudinal engine mounting (as opposed to the transverse configuration in the standard NSX)
Are there pic's and/or specs of this Twin Turbo Honda NSX.
sounds like a really cool nsx.

bjmills said:
This has been posted elsewhere, but:

http://www.supercars.net/cars/3148.html

No that is not it! THAT is the NSX GT of which 5 were produced!

It had the same Type-R normally aspirated engine and same aluminium chassis as all other NSX's... Even ours!

The only difference to the run-of-the-mill Type-R NSX was the body kit.

AdnanVCS said:
Are there pic's and/or specs of this Twin Turbo Honda NSX.
sounds like a really cool nsx.

I have found these two quotes:

When the factory decided to commence the NSX race program they commissioned the renowned chassis constructor John Thompson of `Thompson Composites' to build the race chassis' (in both GT1 and GT2 form) from a mixture of state of the art Carbon-fibre and aluminium. This car, GT2 chassis number 1 was prepared by the ultra-successful Kremer brothers and raced in the German GT Championship in 1994 where it took 5 pole positions, took three wins and finished 2nd overall in the championship standings. It also competed at Le Mans in 1994 when it was piloted by Armin Hahne and former Le Mans victors Christophe Bouchot and Bertrand Gachot and after a steady run it was placed 14th overall and 5th in the GT2 class. It was then entered into the 1995 Le Mans event by seasoned Japanese campaigner Kunimitsu Takahashi and was the only GT2 NSX entered alongside two turbocharged GT1 NSXs. Despite starting the race late and 6 laps down the Japanese trio of Keiichi Tsuchiya, Akira Iida and entrant Kunimitsu Takahashi drove an inspired race to erode the deficit and took GT2 class honours and 8th position overall ahead of the Corvettes and the usual gaggle of Porsches.

After the race, the car was put on display in a Honda showroom and it remained there until 2000. With the financial backing of Honda Germany it was then decided to run the car in German endurance events.

A stock Turbo-Charged Honda

The first segment is a look at an ultimate but very unusual Honda, the 1995 Le-Mans contender that Honda fielded in the GT1 class, a Twin-Turbo VTEC Honda NSX ! This car uses practically the same body/chassis as the road-going NSX with a twin-turboed C30A 3.0l engine that generates 650ps ! This segment is an exclusive by BEST MOTORing and is the only test of this car ever done.

This car raced in the 1995 Le-Mans race in France, together with its smaller NA GT2 brother. Because it only lasted a few laps before clutch problems forced its retirement, it is relatively unknown. To caps things off, that smaller brother is the legendary GT2 Kaneko Kunimitsu Honda driven by the famous trio of T. Kunimitsu, world famous drift-king K. Tsuchiya, and A. Iida which subsequently won the GT2 class for that year's race (and finished in 6th place overall) so the relative obscurity of this GT1 Honda is understandable.

In this BM test, drift-King K. Tsuchiya took the Le-Mans GT1 NSX Twin-Turbo into the Twin-Ring Motegi circuit for its track-test. Add to the whine of the sequential gearbox that from the twin-turbos and you will get an indication of the quality of the soundtrack the car has to offer !

And needless to say, the car is extremely fast ! Indeed, Tsuchiya-san closes the review by disclosing that even a JGTC GT500 car (like his NA 480hp ARTA NSX) is nowhere as fast as the Le-Mans GT1 NSX. It's speed around the Twin-Turbo Motegi can only be appreciated when actually watching the track-review.

That was a great write up. It's nice to learn something on Prime once in a while! Honda needs to develop its street car racing program further, particularly for the NSX replacement if it's going to build pedigree for the brand.

The GT1 turbo cars are #46 and #47, IIRC. I started collecting the NSX Le Mans racers in 1/43 scale and wrote something about them on a technical honda forum. I'll see if I can dig up the post's content...

Here you go...didn't take too long.

"For those NSX enthusiasts who would enjoy reveling a bit in the models racing success, here are a few of the available...err, models (1/43 scale), to acquire for the collection. ;)

1995 LeMans GT2 winner, Honda NSX GT Le Mans, Team Kunimitsu #84 Takahashi/Tsuchiya/Iida
By Ebbro:
ee_1.JPG

And Kyosho:
KY03710C.jpg

The Ebbro model seems more detailed and accurate in scale.

Honda NSX GT Le Mans 1994 #46 Kremer Honda Racing Shimizu/Okada/Favre
KY03710A.jpg

Honda NSX GT Le Mans 1994 #47 K.Takahashi / K.Tsuchiya / A.Iida
KY03710B.jpg

Just picked this one up: 1996 Yokohama ADAN BP JGTC NSX, #100
EB43674-02.jpg

The detail on the Ebbro cars really is amazing:
EB43674-04.jpg

All really missing are the 1995 GT1 NSXs, #46 and #47, that were ripped with 650 turbo hp but only lasted 121 and 7 laps respectively. Actually, there are a few models out there but are very rare.
TN_Le_Mans-1995-06-18-046.jpg

95046.jpg

TN_Le_Mans-1995-06-18-047.jpg

95046.jpg

Another bit of NSX lore: the Official 1995 LeMans Program
_Le_Mans-1995-06-18.jpg

All of the NSX racing models seem a bit rare so if you see 'em on eBay, pick them up quick. And no, I'm saying that to up the price on mine. ;)"

AU_NSX said:

Literaly laughed out loud.....

Back