Is there a Weak Link in the NSX?

In the market for an NSX and just trying to do as much research as poss.

Does the car have any sort of weakness, something that might be fragile?

For instance I have an '02 S2000. It's a pretty solid piece of machinery. However, it does have a weakness. The rear differential can break if you drive the car hard enough. It usually happens when a supercharger or any sort of FI is added. The diff can't handle the extra hp.

Only thing I've found on the NSX is the Snap Ring on the 91-92 years, window motors and that's about it.

Just thought of this. If the timing belt breaks on the NSX, will it cause catastrophic damage (valves crashing into pistons, etc...)?

Couple minor weaknesses are the climate control board and the hydraulic strut supports for the trunk and engine hatch. Splittin hairs now. :)

I'd venture to write that the weak links are the rear tie rods and the rearbeam bushings. Not that these parts are "weak" but that upgrading them makes the car much better on track. Oh, and the consistent lack of engine development during a 14 year life.

C'mon Honda! I'd buy it if you'd build it! :)

MarkB said:
A timing belt failure on any car can be catastrophic.

Others may disagree but; I found the OEM clutch to be the weak link in a SC'ed NSX.

I found the OEM clutch to be the weakness too, but in a bone stock car!!!!

Honestly the only expensive weakness is the premium that the service and parts demand. The car is pretty reliable, can be fussy at times, but if maintained, it will go 200k miles and be very strong to the last mile. Some things missed; The BOSE system. First off scrap the entire stereo system, and upgrade. After about 10 yrs or so the capacitors leak on the climate control, causing it to freak out. Briank fixes them for around $60-$100 depending on whats wrong with it. The leather seats crack, especially the drivers bolster. (get some aftermarket seats!) The tiny plastic wrap-around plastic piece up by the windshield in the rear of the dash cracks in the middle. (just about every Acura does this no biggie) The OEM brakes need good fluid, and some ducting to hold up at the track. Other than that GO GET ONE!

T Bell said:
...The leather seats crack, especially the drivers bolster. (get some aftermarket seats!)...

I agree. After watching the seats on my '91 crack and start looking ghetto I learned that it is really difficult to keep the seats nice if you actually use your car. So when I bought my '94 I promptly removed the OEM leather seats and tossed in a set of Sparco Torino racing seats and have the OEM's sitting in my upstairs storage area. :)

NSXWIND said:
OEM cupholder :D

I'll be third to agree with this one. It's about the only complaint I have about my car.

Also, for everyone posting it may be helpful to tell him what year NSX you have so he does't get confused combining the older and newer model NSX's.

Mine's a '99 NSX-T.

And I think my Bose stereo sounds fine!

MarkB said:
A timing belt failure on any car can be catastrophic.

I was told by someone today that the NSX engine will not suffer catastrophic damage if the TB snapped. Obviously your stuck on the road. Is this bit of information true?

I know that on some cars like the old VW rabbit engines, timing belt failure won't cause engine damage.

BTW, I'm looking at a '94 with low mileage. Do you think because of age the timing belt should be changed?

Simons2k said:
I was told by someone today that the NSX engine will not suffer catastrophic damage if the TB snapped. Obviously your stuck on the road. Is this bit of information true?
Search the forums here for the word 'interference'. On the second page of results you'll see several threads with 'timing' in the title. The consensus there is that the NSX engine is indeed subject to catastrophic damage should the t-belt break.

'interference engine" = Change the belt!!! You dont want to see the bill after it breaks doing say 5000 rpm. :eek:

I have to agree with many of the above comments.
Weakness??? I don’t know. I classify many things as cautionary notes (things to keep an eye on).
1. Trash the Bose system. the are many more reliable systems.
2. Timing belt, but I’d be sure the scheduled maintenance was done.
The possible consequences of what happens.... I don’t want that bill.
3. (Early models) power windows (mostly from a small part prone to failure) easy fix.
4. (Early Models) Snap ring with early production transmissions.

Weakness - Dealers usually don’t stock any parts - everything is special order.

All this talk of timing belt inside a thread titled "weak link". I don't think that the NSX has a problem with snapping timing belts, therefore not what the author of the thread intended. Is the NSX timing belt problematic compared with any other car? ...not that I know of.

vintagecarman said:
The weakest link found in the in the NSX, from what I can tell is usually the

DRIVER! :D

Agree! Some track time and driving lessons certainly will help.

hlweyl said:
All this talk of timing belt inside a thread titled "weak link". I don't think that the NSX has a problem with snapping timing belts, therefore not what the author of the thread intended. Is the NSX timing belt problematic compared with any other car? ...not that I know of.

I dont think the timing belt is weak.. but it is expensive to change. Which is consider to be a major service for the NSX. looking at 1000-1800 to change TB depending on the shop.

Some would complaint about tire wear too. but that is just because OEM alignment setting was set for quick response as oppose to long tire life.

Back