Is there a tastefull way of doing this, and if so, how?

First let me start out by saying, that I respect other peoples choices on how they mod their car, But for me, I like to keep my car looking pretty much completely stock. Well maybe not completely stock, the wheels that came on the 1991 NSX are atrocious, So I'll be putting on chromed 17" on the front and 18" on the back.

Also I don't particularly care for huge spoilers, neon inside or under cars, etc.. Basically anything that doesn't look like it came from Acura.

With all this said I am considering doing something that could look really tacky, but it could also turn out looking really great. But since I haven't done it yet, I'm torn on whether i should or shouldn't do it. So I wanted to get as many opinions as possible. Especially from NSX owner.

First I intend put on the 2002+ style front bumper with exposed headlights, And I plan on installing some HID, NID headlights (I can't remember exactly what they are called, but they are those headlights that give off an almost blueish kind of illumination.

But here's were i would like yall's opinion on. I intend to take the cover off the engine so it is exposed and can be seen through the back windshield, then I am going chrome parts of the engine, repaint some stuff that may have faded, etc.. You know, kind of like what show cars engines look like.

But this is the most controversial part of all. I was thinking about installing very light blue LED's, (hopefully in the same bluish tinged color that the headlights are). I would like the light to not be visible during the day and only visible at night by standing by the car and looking directly at the engine through the rear windshield. Basically, the light would lightly illuminate the engine bay and reflect off the chrome.

Again let me state that I want the light to be low enough to slightly illuminate the engine but not enough to notice unless you walked over to the car and looked directly at the engine.

Sorry this is so long but I'm around 50/50 on if I want to do this and I really wanted to detail exactly what I'm contemplating, so I can get as many opinions as possible, from NSX owners, on whether you think it will look tacky or good.

And if I do do it, which color do you think would look best on a black NSX. I mentioned the light blue LED's because I thought it would look nice if i could replicate the same hue that the headlights give off

I would also appreciate any input or advise on any of the things I talked about above.

Thanks

Last edited:
Re: It tastefull way of doing this, and if so, how?

In my opinion... if the NSX engine is really clean, the valve covers and intake manifold are painted "Honda Red"... you get the billet SOS Coolant tank it looks really good on it's own. I don't know if I'd chrome the motor up too much. The NSX was born from racing heritage... not bling. You sound like you're on the right track not wanting to tacky the car up... but I'm not sure chrome and LED's would be the way to do that. BTW, the 2002 updated nose and HID's... DO IT! And while you're at it, grab the 2002 rear valence as well to modern up the rear a bit. Again... all just my opinion. Ultimately it's your ride. As long as it makes you happy when you walk into your garage.. that's what really matters.

well, nothing you just said matches your first statement of keeping it like it came from honda.... but i think i know what look you're going for - kinda like how people put lights on their bikes and it reflects off everything.....

you can get a whole bunch of polished parts for the nsx, but i never liked the look of it. i don't think it'd really match the car.... massive amounts of shiny things aren't usually found on sports cars (or sport bikes), and i think it'd just look out of place.... but, like you said, "I respect other peoples choices on how they mod their car"....

and that's good enough reason to do it if you want to - it's your car.

btw, you won't be able to find led's that really "match" the HID (high intensity discharge) bulbs. the LEDs will be quite a bit more blue- but if you do really want it to match, the closest you are going to get is a 10,000K bulb - it's a very deep blue (i'm not sure what the factory ones are, but i'm assuming around 8,000K)

anyway, good luck with the mods - post some pics if/when you do it

I don't think cars should be light shows personally but what you are trying to accomplish is mirrored by the Audi R8 if I'm not mistaken. So your idea is certainly not outlandish and is I believe being practiced by what I consider one of the most cosmetically/visually conservative car companies on the planet.

Here's a picture of the engine bay and cover on the 91 I just purchased. Since you're looking for opinions on the lighting scheme, I'd say don't, but it's your car. The only time these lights in the engine bay would be practical is when the vehicle is stopped, otherwise the reflections off the glass are bound to drive you crazy.

Attachments

• Dsc_0056_small.jpg
    Dsc_0056_small.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 189
First I intend put on the 2002+ style front bumper with exposed headlights, And I plan on installing some HID, NID headlights (I can't remember exactly what they are called, but they are those headlights that give off an almost blueish kind of illumination.
The 2002+ headlights are HID's.

IMHO, chrome only takes away from the beauty of a car. Especially an exotic like the NSX.

I personally feel any kind of interior or exterior lights that weren't put there by the manufacturer are a very big step toward F & F land. Adding chrome only makes it look like bling F & F. My call is that it would be tacky.

I love the engine cover off and although I have some polished pieces including the Dali coolant tank I would recommend less of that and more powdercoating in that area. Red powdercoating of the valve covers and intake manifold look very racy and nice.

I think the 02+ headlights look great and I got them. Many disagree and like the pop-ups. I feel the 02+ front end makes the front stand out a bit more and, IMO, was an improvement of the original car--but that is only my opinion. I would definitely get the Type-R hood however. It looks fantastic with the 02+ front end. If you do the true 02+ conversion you'll need to get a new hood anyway. For a few hundred dollars more I highly recommend the Downforce FG or CF Type-R hood.

No on the chrome wheels in my opinion. Black, aluminum, polished, bronze, anodized, not chrome. Chrome is for Escalades with TV monitors.

No on the blue headlights, that is total rice rocket... not a single high performance car like the early ones that had blueish High Intensity Discharge lamps have the blue hue now. No Mercedes, no Porsche, no Ferrari, all modern HID's are *WHITE*. When I see blue coming towards me, its usually screaming: "Autozone, isle 7".

I do like your engine light idea, and I actually thought of it myself. It has to be subtle enough to where you cannot tell there is a light in there. Like the way entertainment tonight lit up Mary Hart's legs under the table. I do not think the light should be any sort of color. Just a low light LED in white... like the Audi R8's.

First I intend put on the 2002+ style front bumper with exposed headlights, And I plan on installing some HID, NID headlights (I can't remember exactly what they are called, but they are those headlights that give off an almost blueish kind of illumination.Thanks

Wow:eek: Um...They are called HID lights. High Intensity Discharge lights. Changing to the '02 bumper and headlight scheme is a nice, though expensive, mod. You can get conversion HID kits at great prices now (when HID was first being offered in high end new cars, i.e. BMW, Benz, Infinity, etc., several years ago, HID conversion kits were pretty pricey). Also, AVOID getting bulbs that claim to give off a "blueish" light with a bluish tint. THESE ARE NOT HID kits. IMHO, getting an HID that gives off a pure white light is better than the ones that give off a blueish or purplish light on the road. Look at a car with stock equiped HID headlights driving on a wet road. The light given off is pure white, illuminating EVERYTHING. It's a great mod and improves safety. Look up prime Member WhiteNSXs for great HID kits (Shameless plug)

As for the light in the engine bay, GO FOR IT!! I mean, it's not like your drilling holes into the body of the car to install a fold on spoiler with a TV Screen attached like on 'Pimp My Ride'. You can always take the light out if it doesn't look the way you imagined.

For my 2cents worth, the only way to upgrade an early NSX is to follow Honda with the 02 upgrades, both front, rear and sides. Once you've done this then you may wish to consider NSX-R hood and rear spoiler.

As for the wheels, IMO the chrome is wrong. On Black I would look at silver or gunmetal for an OEM look and probably a 5 spoke design if you're going larger than 17" all round.

Removal of the heavy old engine cover is a good move but I would be cautious of chroming to mush as you would suffer constant reflections (day and night) in the hatch that would detract from your rear visibility.

Good luck with your project.

i threw two blue led's along the aft engine vent strip, wired
into the rear tails.....looks cool.:cool:
kob

Here's a picture of the engine bay and cover on the 91 I just purchased. Since you're looking for opinions on the lighting scheme, I'd say don't, but it's your car. The only time these lights in the engine bay would be practical is when the vehicle is stopped, otherwise the reflections off the glass are bound to drive you crazy.

Nice.

It would be better if you paint that white tank black or gunmetal. Maybe the only functional disadvantage would be that it makes the liquid warmer than usual. What yall think?

I would like to see that lit up with LEDs.

the most controversial part of all. I was thinking about installing very light blue LED's, (hopefully in the same bluish tinged color that the headlights are). I would like the light to not be visible during the day and only visible at night by standing by the car and looking directly at the engine through the rear windshield. Basically, the light would lightly illuminate the engine bay and reflect off the chrome.

Is there a tastefull way of doing this? NO :tongue:

私は米を好む

Do you have pics jal? :biggrin:
fer ya...
dsc00201hx8.jpg
+
dsc00204gb5.jpg

i rike lice!!
Ricer-excuse-gaugeweb.jpg

Back