Is there a HIGH pitched whine during acceleration?

I'm new to this forum and I need some help.

My wife and I have been looking at buying a new Porsche Boxster S. The high pitched whine from the drivetrain drove her nuts. It was giving her a headache. Needless to say the Porsche is out. I still want a mid engine car, so I'm thinking NSX.

I've always been a fan of the NSX. She drives an '07 MDX and loves it.

Problem is I'm ready to start a search, but we live in a very rural area and we would have a hard time finding one just to try.

I would like somebody to tell me what it sound like inside. The HIGH pitched whine is what got her. She likes more bass than treble when listening to music.

I realize that this is completely subjective, but I have to start somewhere.

Does the NSX sound deeper than a Porsche? or is it more like a V8 sound?

Thanks, Dan

I don't completely understand your question, but you will hear sounds from the engine being that it is right behind your head. If your wife didn't like the sound of the Boxster, then she will probably not like the sound from the NSX.

You shouldn't get any high pitched or whining sound, unless you got a supercharger installed or have a bad ground from your sound system.

It has been a while since I have been in a Boxter so I can't compare.

But many have described the sound of the NSX as a bit like a sewing machine. Not high pitched at all. Definitely a mechanical, valves going up and down sound. When the revs build above 4000 rpm the sound becomes increasingly race car like. But the factory exhaust does not bark or roar.

With the driver's side window down you will hear intake growl - more so on cars with an aftermarket intake (mine has the Cantrell). That is a very good sound! :smile: The NSX does not have a V8 sound - it can't because it ain't a V8. V8's have "that sound" because of the timing of the exhaust pulses and no V6 will have that no matter what exhaust is on the car.

At steady highway speeds on smooth pavement it is easy to have a conversation in the car.

unless you have an aftermarket intake/air box or sc/turbo you shouldnt hear a whine. If you granny shift at low rpm you wont hear anything. I love the sound of my nsx tho, id rather listen to that than music.

One of the strengths/weaknesses of the NSX is other than a slight growl in the top half of the rev range, the engine totally quiet. I'm familiar with the P car whine (I like it a lot). Your wife will love the NSX, and it's got a subwoofer right under her feet. It's not obtrusive though. You can test drive any old integra or RSX to get the flavor of the NSX sound

You shouldn't get any high pitched or whining sound, unless you got a supercharger installed or have a bad ground from your sound system.

well you can get a high pitched whine from the transmission...more specifically from either gears or in some cases from the differential.

A lot of diffs whine a little. Its just how sensitive you are to that sort of noise. Stock s2000's have a slight whine. Stock integra Type-r has a slight whine from the 4.22 gears.

When I had 3.57 gears installed in my S2000 the whine was really loud.

I have a slight whine in my NSX but with the music on its not that noticeable.

I'm thinking this is sound system related as well. Have you tried turning off your stereo and seeing if this whine exists? If it goes away when you turn off the stereo, one of your amps is probably going out, I would guess it's the center/sub amp.

There are plenty of NSX videos on Utube taken from inside the cockpit, I dont recall hearing a whine unless it has an SC maybe...then it is music to your ears.:smile:

I get a faint high pitch sound at higher rpm. I think it's from my injen induction that came with the car. It will get louder once I get my supercharger. Either way, it sounds good to me. Mid engine cars are not the best choice if you want a quite cabin. But the noise and the theater of it all makes it fun.

To answer my Colorado friend:

No, there is no whine.

At least, not enough that it wouldn't be worth traveling to find an NSX to find out for yourself how the car sounds. Very quiet overall, except maybe some wind noise for the Targa versions.

Hope that helps.

I'm new to this forum and I need some help.

My wife and I have been looking at buying a new Porsche Boxster S. The high pitched whine from the drivetrain drove her nuts. It was giving her a headache. Needless to say the Porsche is out. I still want a mid engine car, so I'm thinking NSX.

I've always been a fan of the NSX. She drives an '07 MDX and loves it.

Problem is I'm ready to start a search, but we live in a very rural area and we would have a hard time finding one just to try.

I would like somebody to tell me what it sound like inside. The HIGH pitched whine is what got her. She likes more bass than treble when listening to music.

I realize that this is completely subjective, but I have to start somewhere.

Does the NSX sound deeper than a Porsche? or is it more like a V8 sound?

Thanks, Dan

The high picthed whineing noise you hear is the new distinct sound of the water cooled Boxter motor when porsche switched from the air cooled previous motors. Its the almost magical like an airplane taking off. When you accelerate abruptly in the Boxter S the Vario cam opens so you hear vroom, it is perfectly normal.

My NSX is very quiet hardly any noise from the gear box or engine. If you put headers and exhaust it will be pretty loud depending on the make. If there is high whine noise in the NSX at higher RPM's say over 5k that may be an indication of a worn clutch or flywheel.

Oh so it is the same whine source as a the original VW Beetle.

The high picthed whineing noise you hear is the new distinct sound of the water cooled Boxter motor when porsche switched from the air cooled previous motors. Its the almost magical like an airplane taking off. When you accelerate abruptly in the Boxter S the Vario cam opens so you hear vroom, it is perfectly normal.

My NSX is very quiet hardly any noise from the gear box or engine. If you put headers and exhaust it will be pretty loud depending on the make. If there is high whine noise in the NSX at higher RPM's say over 5k that may be an indication of a worn clutch or flywheel.

Back