Is the NSX art?

I have been interested in purchasing an NSX for a while, but I am starting to wonder how truly "timeless" the design is, like its kind of been lacking something for me lately.

It seems to lack a certain...elegance? Personality, maybe, as well?

On the other hand, it seems like some other cars, like an aston martin db7 or even like a Ferrari F360 modena, are beautiful. Maybe even art. I definately think that the NSX is beautiful from an engineering standpoint, but I just don't know overall as a car. I guess all three cars (among others) that I mentioned are in different "categories" so the concept and therefore overall the aesthetic and feel is going to be different for each car. I guess I find myself wanting to buy something that is elegant, in addition to having great performance and driving feel.

I just want to stimulate some discussion. What do you think- is the NSX art? Do you think it is lacking some element of beauty? To you, what car is the most beautiful?

You should make this a poll (you still can - look under Thread Tools).

[x] Yes
[ ] No

The NSX is as much art as any modern car.

What?:confused: I collect contemporary paintings and assemblages and have been a patron of the arts for over 30 years. I also drive a NSX. It's my second one in fact. I really don't understand the correlation. Are you looking for something that looks good parked in front of your house? While I certainly appreciate the esthetics's of the car, that's only one of the many reasons I purchased it.

No offense, but I think you may be more pleased with another vehicle that meets your criteria. Good luck.

I don't know if it is art like a Ferrari GTO or an AC Cobra but every where I park my NSX looks better than it did before I got there.

:biggrin:

11205eyes.jpg

Something like this?

23401984.jpg

Now I just need to find a wall in my house that can support it. :wink:

It's subjective.......

Art?

Hope not. "Art" = $$$. Buy the NSX because it is one of the greatest engineered and built cars in the world. Classifying cars according to such subjective criteria such as personality, elegance, timeless design... overshadows the purpose of having a car, which is the driving aspect. BMWs are not particularly "beautiful" cars but I love the way they drive. The NSX looks gorgeous to me and it drives even better. I missed watching F1 when Senna was alive and the NSX is really the only road car that is linked to the greatest racer in F1 history. Senna owns a NSX, that's enough validation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izaWlKxVo1A&feature=related

Is it art? Only time will tell. But really, by the time people do recognize the NSX as art many years later, I will be dead so I don't care.

We are very lucky that the NSX is underrated and that rich car collectors dismiss Japanese sports cars. Buy your affordable NSX now and enjoy it . If you think it is art then it is. It's what you think that matters. Be a confident man, drive what you want to drive. Don't rely on how others view the NSX as a criteria for delaying your purchase.

BTW, the BMW/MClaren F1 is one beautiful car. Is there a group buy for the Mega Lotto?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/McLaren_F1_LM.jpg

Last edited:
I have been interested in purchasing an NSX for a while, but I am starting to wonder how truly "timeless" the design is, like its kind of been lacking something for me lately.

It seems to lack a certain...elegance? Personality, maybe, as well?

I think you answered your own question. It doesn't matter what I think, it's what you think. If you think something is lacking, then buy something else that has the something that the NSX doesn't have. It shouldn't matter what others think.

I think I understand what the original post was getting at. Timeless, I would say is a fair term for the NSX. It is a clean design, without any of the fad styling cues that every era seems to have. Big tail fins? Clear corners ala IS300? Even the ribbing on the doors of the old Pontiac Grand Am didn't look out of place when the Grand Am was new. However, where the fads fade in popularity and look dated even a few years after they appeared, the lines of the NSX are elegant enough that to many it still looks modern.

Even so, there seems to be something different about some designs. Something intangible, something special. Something that makes them feel alive. Look at one of the old Ferraris. If you ever have a chance to see something like the 330P3, or a 250 GTO in person, you can feel what I mean. It's as though they call out to you across the years, and an echo of whining gears and wailing exhaust touches you. It's something... magical.

Most Ferrari owners probably feel superior to us for reasons of price, or rarity, or even some claim to racing heritage regardless of whether they have ever set foot on a track. Those few, however, who truly understand what it is that makes a Ferrari different, are the ones I envy. They get to see it every day.

Nick

Art is life. The NSX is part of my life, It stirs my emotions and inspires ideas.

Wow. That's deep. So, if art is life and the NSX is part of your life then your NSX must be a part of art. Works for me.

How come nobody wants to answer falcon's question:

" To you, what car is the most beautiful? "

Back