Is the little fan under the ash tray really needed?

I'm laying out a new center console and will be needing all available space for 5 gauges. I removed the center console (along with the little fan under the ash tray) and the air conditioning seems to work fine. What is this fan supposed to do and how important is it to have it operational?

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Aloha,
Steve

stevenlee said:
...What is this fan supposed to do and how important is it to have it operational?...
Steve,

The 'Aspirator Fan' is part of the A/C control system. It pulls cabin air over a temperature sensor and uses this to determine the level of cooling needed to attain the selected temp.

Maybe, I Think

The 'Aspirator Fan' is part of the A/C control system. It pulls cabin air over a temperature sensor and uses this to determine the level of cooling needed to attain the selected temp.

Only when the system is in "auto" mode to maintain a certain temperature. If the blower speed knob is anywhere between "auto" and "off" the system ignores the sensor and blows at that speed and at that temperature. For example, left long enough to blow in manual mode at an indicated 72 °F with the car in the shade, the cabin temperature will be less that 72 °F.

AndyVecsey said:
Only when the system is in "auto" mode to maintain a certain temperature. If the blower speed knob is anywhere between "auto" and "off" the system ignores the sensor and blows at that speed and at that temperature. For example, left long enough to blow in manual mode at an indicated 72 °F with the car in the shade, the cabin temperature will be less that 72 °F.
Are you sure? I thought there were two automatic modes, which are indicated on the display panel: AUTO, which blows air at the indicated fan speed to achieve the specified temperature, and FULL AUTO, when the fan speed is set to auto, which regulates the fan speed as well as the temperature. No?

Well I have removed the ashtray and placed a panel for gauges to fit. I still have the fan and sensor but it doesn't pull air from the cabin anymore. The heating & a/c still work, but it doesn't seem to maintain a temp as well as it used to. I set the heater a lot higher than normal, to get the temp I want.

Ya Got Me

Are you sure?

Early this morning, when I was on my second margarita while replying, I was actually thinking of a different type of circuit that relies on a sensor's feedback input.

You are correct in your description of "auto" and "full auto".

Sorry to have doubted you, Mark. :o

I removed mine a few years ago because it was making noise but I lost the “auto” cabin temperature feature b/c the system could not maintain a consistent cabin temp w/o the sensor. Later on I fixed the noisy little fan and reinstalled it.

DanO

DanO said:
I removed mine a few years ago because it was making noise but I lost the “auto” cabin temperature feature b/c the system could not maintain a consistent cabin temp w/o the sensor. Later on I fixed the noisy little fan and reinstalled it.

DanO

there is this little round shinny object in front of the fan. is that the temp. sensor? I cleaned it with alcohol and rubbed off some of the coating on it. would it damage it? :confused:

Thanks for the imput.........My new center console will be completely filled with 5 Defi electornic gauges, gauge controller, Pioneer navigation/DVD system (head unit and "hide-away" box), 2 auxiliary switches and 2 miniature DC outlets.

It sounds like I should try to find a remote location for the aspirator fan. Perhaps I can run a piece of tubing to draw in ambient air to the new remote location.

Now...while I'm at it, I'd like to add a Valentine 1 radar detector. Does anyone have suggestions on a very clean and stealthy way to install one?

Thanks and Aloha,
Steve

nis350 said:
there is this little round shinny object in front of the fan. is that the temp. sensor? I cleaned it with alcohol and rubbed off some of the coating on it. would it damage it? :confused:

That’s the thermistor (resistor that varies with temperature). I don’t think rubbing alcohol will damage it at all.

DanO

stevenlee said:
I'd like to add a Valentine 1 radar detector. Does anyone have suggestions on a very clean and stealthy way to install one?
You'll find some ideas by doing a search on topics in the Stereo and Electronic Devices forum; various installations have been posted there.

Back