Is it just me?

...or does this bother you too?

Driving on the street I don't have the opertunity to push my NSX very often but once in a while I do get a freeway on ramp to myself and I can get someware neer the limit of my stock NSX. When I go through a long on curved ramp the rear of my car feels like it is going to come around on me. It is vary controlable but just feels weird. Is there any thing wrong with my car or is this oversteer normal for the car?

I can barely keep reading after opertunity[sic]!

Yes, it bothers me too. How hard is it to edit a response before it is submitted? And if the person actually does not know how to spell "near" or "very," I find it scary that they are out there driving an NSX.... I suppose every group has its statistical outliers, however.

To the original author: Keep a dictionary by your computer! I have two college degrees, and yet I call on my dictionary at least once a week... which garners the unspoken appreciation (I believe) of those who read my posts. ;)

Alright, enough ranting.

Wow, is it just me?

Briank said:
Thanks guys :( I realize there are some snobs that drive NSX's.
I hope to someday get "opportunity" meet you so if I see you broken down on the side of the road I can drive by and wave.

Or does anyone else on this forum think that stuff like this belongs in Kindergarden? Presumably we're all adults here, and if someone either intentionally or by accident makes a mistake, we're mature enough to overlook it without making a nasty comment. I'm glad that this is "Off Topic" because it certainly is!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Funny this was just posted by Andy V. in another thread:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy,
it deosn't mttaer in
waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny
iprmoetnt tihng is taht
the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.
The rset can be a
total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit
porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae
the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by
istlef, but
the wrod as a wlohe.

Sometimes people may just be in a hurry when typing their post and not take a few seconds to proof read it.

Briank said:
I hope to someday get "opportunity" meet you so if I see you broken down on the side of the road I can drive by and wave.

I guess I AM a snob if I am continually aware of how I present myself to others.

Chatting with friends online in a gaming environment, I will occasionally misspell a word while typing quickly. But come on, this isn't some fast-paced game we're communicating within! Take your time, write your thoughts out in a manner that can be read easily by others. Your posts may be significant to the topic(s) at hand, so show the community the courtesy of presenting your posts in proper English.

There's no need to "get even" with me by saying that you would leave me stranded somewhere. A proper response from you I think would have been, "I'm sorry, I was in a hurry. Get over it." :D

Last edited:
Autophile said:
Yes, it bothers me too. How hard is it to edit a response before it is submitted? And if the person actually does not know how to spell "near" or "very," I find it scary that they are out there driving an NSX....

Don't forget that for some of us, english is not our first language !

FYI, my driving skills are better than my english ! ;)

Regards,

Autophile said:
I guess I AM a snob if I am continually aware of how I present myself to others.

Chatting with friends online in a gaming environment, I will occasionally misspell a word while typing quickly. But come on, this isn't some fast-paced game we're communicating within! Take your time, write your thoughts out in a manner that can be read easily by others. Your posts may be significant to the topic(s) at hand, so show the community the courtesy of presenting your posts in proper English.

There's no need to "get even" with me by saying that you would leave me stranded somewhere. A proper response from you I think would have been, "I'm sorry, I was in a hurry. Get over it." :D

Actually "elitist" comes to mind, I can't spell it but I know what it means.

The proper response was to PM me let know there was some thing that could be improved. Not chime in with Chopsjazz. It is unlikely I would leave you sitting on the side of the road broken down even if you miss spelled "HELP" in your desperation.

Last edited:
It is important to write well and to try to minimize mistakes and of course it is not a shame to edit afterwards.

English is not my first language and you will notice that i often edit my posts.

I don't get mad with this and I find it even fun because I love to improve myself.

effer who likes and respect other languages!

Nimbus said:
Funny this was just posted by Andy V. in another thread:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy,
it deosn't mttaer in
waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny
iprmoetnt tihng is taht
the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.
The rset can be a
total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit
porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae
the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by
istlef, but
the wrod as a wlohe.

Damn convincing Andy! Was almost as easy to read as original text.

Vrey coiinnncvg!

follow this thread, too...

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22758

Osiris_x11 sayz... There is a ForumsNazi & MrWolf who advocate 'the search', I feel emphatically that there is a void and unfilled need for a GrammarNazi, or such. . . Some of the posts as of late are just excruciatingly painful to read, AND I mean aside from the obvious typos. And before the flame-throwers ignite- english is my SECOND language; yet I strive towards a high-level of competency- even if it is mere 'net posts. :)

WANTED:
Someone to Police the Threads of blatant, obscene, grammatical errors... A background of OCD will be a bonus :D

To reiterate myself, it's not only respect to the readers- but a sign of one's personality (to be meticulous and detail-oriented). And let's leave the elitist/perfectionist/over-bearing/nit-picky arguments out the way...:o

Briank said:

I don't think your point about snobism is a valid one. The same way you shouldn't use some words in front of your colleagues whereas it would be ok to use them around your buddies, you should also pay attention to what you type, proof read it and then send it. Noone is perfect of course, and a typo here and there, a mispelled word here and there are totally acceptable. However neglecting your grammar and/or orthograph just because you are typing online is not an excuse, it's a proof of lazyness.

apapada said:
I don't think your point about snobism is a valid one. The same way you shouldn't use some words in front of your colleagues whereas it would be ok to use them around your buddies, you should also pay attention to what you type, proof read it and then send it. Noone is perfect of course, and a typo here and there, a mispelled word here and there are totally acceptable. However neglecting your grammar and/or orthograph just because you are typing online is not an excuse, it's a proof of lazyness.

That should be "laziness", but who's looking anyway! :D

Well, it's me too. I agree with many of the sentiments expressed here.

Some of these posts are so full of misspelled and/or misused words they're truly pathetic.

I don't think it's a lack of intelligence, but rather the typical on-line/e-mail/who gives a sh!t approach to writing that seems to be in vogue.

And guess what? We are, by sheer definition of what we drive, elitist. Maybe I'm weird, but I expect the typical NSX owner to be able to construct a coherent sentence. (And obviously, non-English speakers get a pass.)

My thread subject said that it bothered me. Not that I am better than every person that posts misspellings and poor grammar. I deal with language every day at school and I am amazed at the types of essays that are turned in to me by students that I will soon graduate on to college. I just expect that NSX drivers are most likely graduates of high school and are therefore capable of presenting cogent ideas in a public forum with fewer spelling and grammar mistakes.

It is not elitist, nor is it snobish in any way to be bothered by what looks like a disregard for proper spelling and grammar. Even if English is not your primary language, (a problem I am well aware of as the school in which I teach is over 60% Asian with students speaking a multitude of Asian languages primarily at home) many on this site post here often from foreign countries and do rather well with their English, even if they do labor at it. Enzo's post is a Prime example of that (pun intended).

Perhaps it is unreasonable for me to expect, in a public forum in which so much information is shared in such an enlightened and educated way, that simple misspellings (easy to correct with current technology, or even just a dictionary) and grammar (a little more difficult to catch and correct) are corrected before they are presented to the reading audience.

As Autophile states, this is one way, perhaps the only way for some of us, that we present ourselves to each other and to the public. I didn't judge you on your presentation. I simply said that it bothers me. Much the same way that it bothers me to read similar mistakes in newspapers, magazines, or books and essays. It bothers me. I wouldn't "wave as I drive past you broken down on the road". Sheesh! And as Eric 5273 says, perhaps it is just me that it bothers! I can live with that.

Sorry to have offended. Pehaps next time I'll just send a PM!

Last edited:
Posted by Autophile:

He was speaking or typing english. He just mispelled the words.
Proper english? The language of England? American English? the English spoken in America. British English? The language of most inhabitants of England.
A lot of different vernaculars can be found.
What were are your 2 degrees in? We know they aren't in English. If you can understand what he/she says, whether typed or spoken it has been communicated.
If enough people use the language, it becomes official.
Get a clue people, the idea is to communicate not ridicule every little mistake.
JAO
Len (Forgive my grammar)

len3.8 said:
He was speaking or typing english. He just mispelled the words.
Proper english? The language of England? American English? the English spoken in America. British English? The language of most inhabitants of England.
A lot of different vernaculars can be found.
What were are your 2 degrees in? We know they aren't in English. If you can understand what he/she says, whether typed or spoken it has been communicated.
If enough people use the language, it becomes official.
Get a clue people, the idea is to communicate not ridicule every little mistake.
JAO
Len (Forgive my grammar)

My degrees are in chemical engineering. My profession demands a solid proficiency in communication.

By the phrase "proper English," perhaps I should have written "mechanically correct English."

How did you know that my major was not in English? Where did I error in spelling/grammar/punctuation?

JChoice said:
Chopsjazz, Umm - you have a few typos and grammatical errors in your last post.

Remember, I said I was "bothered by what looks like a disregard for proper spelling and grammar". I think it is apparent that I paid at least a modicum of attention to both in my previous post. Believe me, I know that I am capable of mistakes, and that I make them at the most embarassing of times (like that time). But the original post in my openning thread was pretty full of flagrant errors.

Last edited:
Autophile said:
My degrees are in chemical engineering. My profession demands a solid proficiency in communication.

By the phrase "proper English," perhaps I should have written "mechanically correct English."

How did you know that my major was not in English? Where did I error in spelling/grammar/punctuation?

There is NO proper engilsh in the US. An english major would know that.:)

Also, even saying mechanically correct would have been wrong.
There are too many different cultures in the US.
You could correct them on the spelling, that's about it.
People code switch all the time. You did it when you typed your second and third post. You made sure you spelled everything correctly and spoke eloquently, simply because you knew someone would be looking to ridicule or correct you.

I bet when you are with your friends you let it all hang out.
You use slang, colloquialisms just like the rest of us.
My wife has PHD in Speech Language Pathology/Communication Disorders, she would be better suited to (further or is it farther) educate you on the subject. But I think you get my point
Her profession demands a solid proficiency in (ALL) communications, not just technical writings.
PEAace
JAO
Len

Last edited:
We do realize that it takes all of about 10 seconds to paste an edited post into MSWord, hit the 'F7' button, correct all of the hideous spelling and grammar mistakes, and then re-paste the corrected version into the Post Reply editing window, don't we?

(Like, for example, I just learned that 'grammar' has two a's in it. :) )

Back