Is chrome plating expensive?

I'm thinking of having my valve cover chromed and maybe some other parts. Does anybody knows a place and how much this typically cost. Thanks in advance! :)

It shouldn't cost too much, but in the end you'll eventually have to rechrome the pieces because of peeling, cracking, discoloration, and other issues that deal with chrome.

If you went with the polished parts all you have to do is polish them every once in a while and make sure they're always clean. I have yet to hear about any complaints regarding the polished pieces. My guess is they tend to keep their shine year after year with minimal care.

I used to own a custom bike and it had lots of chrome -- a great deal of it after-market. It has been my experience that a quality chrome job won’t crack/peel and a cheap job will. That being said, a good chrome job will easily cost 2 to 3 times what a cheap one will.

A good chrome job starts with sand blasting to bare metal and a chemical cleaning. Depending on who does it, you will get either a nickel plate or a copper plate prior to the chrome (sort of like primer). Finally, the parts are chromed. In my biker days, the best jobs came from triple plating with chrome after the 'primer' plate.

You need to ask around for recommendations for a good chrome shop. Bikers are, or at least used to be, a good source of information for this.

Back