Is carfax changing the way it collects data.

A member here recently asked for a car fax. The report supplied to the member stated the vehicle had accident damage. The interesting part is the damage was reported by the State Police department in the state which the accident occurred. I for one would be very happy if this is the way carfax is going to start collecting data. This would make lying about a cars history nearly impossible because it looks like they report any kind of accident regardless of severity. Even if the owner buys the vehicle back from the insurance company after an accident, the accident would still show up if it were recorded at the police level rather than the insurance company level.

Here is a portion of the carfax I am speaking of.

Georgia Police Reports:
Georgia provides an estimate of the extent of damage in its accident reports. Use these general descriptions to help you interpret the different damage levels:
SEVERE: The vehicle cannot be driven from the accident scene due to severe damage or an injury. This level of damage often results in a Salvage or Junk title. Check Section 1 - Total Loss Check for these problem titles.
MODERATE: The accident damage affects the operation of the vehicle and/or its parts. Examples include broken windows, trunk lids, doors, bumpers and tires.
MINOR: The accident damage does not affect the operation of the vehicle. Examples include dented bumpers, fenders, grills and body panels. This level of accident should not compromise vehicle safety.
NO DAMAGE: The vehicle was not damaged.
Are processed if the estimated damage exceeds $500
Are released to CARFAX approximately 3 months after the accident date

Here is the link to the post
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30898

I can't imagine that the report would show up unless it was somehow linked through an insurance claim. I doubt the police reporting network is that sophicated and linked up across all the states, but I could be wrong.

Back