is a radar detector even worth it in so cal?

I just ordered a valentine 1 to try out. What is everyone's opinion that live in so cal? I am in orange county and I see quite a bit of cops use a laser gun where the v1(or any detector) is useless since its too late. Can anyone share their thoughts and experiences? I don't normally speed around the city, its more for canyon runs and longer trips.

I see quite a bit of cops use a laser gun where the v1(or any detector) is useless since its too late.
You are (a) assuming they only use their speed gun in instant-on mode, and (b) forgetting that you can get a warning from cars ahead of you being measured.

You are (a) assuming they only use their speed gun in instant-on mode, and (b) forgetting that you can get a warning from cars ahead of you being measured.

Thanks for the feedback! I look forward to trying it out and reporting my results.

I agree with you, Zmoney. I have two V1s and if you don't speed around town you don't need it for that but they are great for use on the open highways and canyons.

Based solely on my own experience using a radar detector for the past 15 years, mostly for my work commute, I'd say the effectiveness really depends on what areas you frequently drive. Each police dept can have different policies on what type of speed tracking devices they use.

From my own commuting experience the CHP on the 405 and 110 fwys primarily just use LIDAR.(except in the more rural areas) While on the 605 fwy, I find that they still use a lot of Ka band radar. Everyday I also do city driving in Rancho Palos Verdes and Cypress/Los Alamitos areas. In PV they stick to using radar, so the detector helps out there. However in Cypress they use LIDAR, so it's not any help there. Definitely worth it if driving outside of the city to Palm Springs, Vegas, Santa Barbara, or SF.

V1 was the best investment I ever made ~12 years ago...used my refund after fighting a ticket of the same price back while I was in school.

Crossing the country several times, I've found it most useful at night on open highways. The playing field is pretty equal between you and the cop. They can't just eyeball you at night and you can detect them if they are just lazy leaving their equipment on (or trying to hit people ahead of you).

Within LA / OC, I've only had the detector go off with a true positive a handful of times...but those saved my butt. In usual LA traffic, useless...more likely to get a wreckless lane change than speeding ticket.

PCH / Canyons - again, very valuable at night and if they leave their equipment on or while hitting people ahead of you.

There is a small learning curve...you will naturally learn to ignore obvious BS because so many things give off radar signals these days. I don't even leave it on if I'm off the highway because very CVS throws a radar signal.

My primary interest in getting one was to alert me for speed traps between LA and Mammoth...there are a lot of towns that bank on people missing the rapidly decreasing speed limit signs especially between Lone Pine and Bishop. The V1 likely paid for itself many times over in the seven or so years I had season passes...probably helped pay for some of my season passes. Not a single speeding ticket. And I could predict cars which cars WOULD get nailed with increasing regularity.

The V1 has also come in handy in the canyons. Not a single ticket in my NSX...and she's coming up on her 14 year anniversary.

I've never thought to have mine on while driving around Palos Verdes, but I have been ticketed in my own neighborhood on the hill...a BS ticket I successfully fought.

Front Jammers (2 devices) are an infraction, the fine is about $125. Four devices (front and rear) are considered a misdemeanor.

CPC said:
28150. (a) No vehicle shall be equipped with any device that is designed for, or is capable of, jamming, scrambling, neutralizing, disabling, or otherwise interfering with radar, laser, or any other electronic device used by a law enforcement agency to measure the speed of moving objects.
(b) No person shall use, buy, possess, manufacture, sell, or otherwise distribute any device that is designed for jamming, scrambling, neutralizing, disabling, or otherwise interfering with radar, laser, or any other electronic device used by a law enforcement agency to measure the speed of moving objects.

(c) Except as provided in subdivision (d), a violation of subdivision (a) or (b) is an infraction.

(d) When a person possesses four or more devices in violation of subdivision (b), the person is guilty of a misdemeanor.

(e) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a person who has a valid federal license for operating the devices described in this section may transport one or more of those devices if the license is carried in the vehicle transporting the device at all times when the device is being transported.

Added Sec. 1, Ch. 493, Stats. 1998. Effective January 1, 1999.

What kind of configurations do you all use on your v1? I am I mission viejo and usually drive just around Orange County and occasional trips to Simi Valley area. Should I turn off k band and x band?

My primary interest in getting one was to alert me for speed traps between LA and Mammoth...there are a lot of towns that bank on people missing the rapidly decreasing speed limit signs especially between Lone Pine and Bishop. The V1 likely paid for itself many times over in the seven or so years I had season passes...probably helped pay for some of my season passes. Not a single speeding ticket. And I could predict cars which cars WOULD get nailed with increasing regularity.

I've lived in Lone Pine since 1997 and I don't see an inordinate
number of cars pulled over considering how much the laws
get broken. Law enforcement is spread thin in Inyo County
which is larger in area than New Jersey but has fewer than
20,000 residents.

Lone Pine is a little town, it's common to walk to shopping from
one's home, a lot of pedestrians cross US 395 where it is our
Main Street, and the 25 limit in town makes sense IMO.
I see some people on their way to Mammoth going 40 or more.

When you see CHP enforcing the law here, understand that
one of their force was killed on the job on 395 near Olancha.
A car veered off road and hit the officer who was standing outside
of his car. The deceased was the brother of a friend of mine.
I don't being this up to suggest that it would justify any
unprofessional behavior, and I have no reason to believe
the CHP took any revenge on drivers after that incident.
I'm just giving some information about the context they work in.

Back