Introduction

Hey guys! My name is Michael and I am in the market for an NSX! I currently drive an S2000 which I will be parting out and selling. I will be looking for a 91-92 year model (or 93 if the price is right) I know this question has been asked before, but other than cars.com, autotrader, ebay, and here, where might I look for a 91-93 with low miles?
Looks like I should be good to go for getting the car with in the next few weeks! :biggrin: Only hold up looks like insurance, as my insurance company says they might not cover this car, or if they do it would have to be under their "chrome" package, were you have to claim it as a weekend or pleasure driver?!!

I have gather LOTS of helpful knowledge from S2Ki.com and am sure I will find the same helpful info here on NSXprime!
Any information advice or things to look for as I venture into the world of NSX's feel free to share :)

Michael

Hi Michael. Just curious, why are you "parting out and selling" your S2000?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's because S2k's with modified parts don't sell for much more than stock S2ks. Ask me how I know. :wink:

Welcome aboard Michael.

Otto

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's because S2k's with modified parts don't sell for much more than stock S2ks. Ask me how I know. :wink:

Welcome aboard Michael.

Otto

Thanks for the welcome Otto. And yes, that is exactly why. If I only sell my hardtop, coilovers, and Volks it should give me about 5,000 (I hope :) ) But if I left them on the car it would sell for almost the same price as w/o them.

BTW, I believe I read somewhere a while back that the NSX has the same (or similar) offset as an S2000. If that is the case, I might keep my wheels. :cool:

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone :)

Thanks for the welcome Otto. And yes, that is exactly why. If I only sell my hardtop, coilovers, and Volks it should give me about 5,000 (I hope :) ) But if I left them on the car it would sell for almost the same price as w/o them.

BTW, I believe I read somewhere a while back that the NSX has the same (or similar) offset as an S2000. If that is the case, I might keep my wheels. :cool:

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone :)

You could keep the wheels, but you would need to run spacers since there is less caliper clearance on the S2k wheels.

Otto

do what i do, just total the car and get the insurance money which would be more than what you would get if you sold it privately :) lol jk well sorta...

Welcome aboard Michael.

Otto

Thanks for the warm welcome! I will be bidding on a local member's NSX tonight on ebay! Hopefully I will win and everything will work out! :D I look forward to being part of the community.

Ok, so I bought the one on ebay last night! Which is acitually this one -
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83773

I am in the middle of parting out my S2K right now, and will be putting it on ebay, and in the local paper this coming week!

Is there anything I should know when buying this car? I know there is risk in running any FI, but at low boost how reliable is a Carbtech twin turbo on an NSX? This car will be my daily driver for a month or two.

Thanks guys!

Not sure about how reliable the TT is.. insure it through Chubb... They are great.. be careful b/c I talked to 12 insurance agencies this past week trying to insure my 98 CTSC NSX. Ask your carrier to talk with a claims adjuster and ask what you would get in the case of a total loss. You might find that it is only 14k or so and you are paying say 30 something for the car... Not sure about you but I had no desire to be that (in my case 20k) upside down on a car.. especiall now that I am married. Chubb will insure it for agreed value (not stated value which is useless for what you'd want). What this means is they know it is a special car and they throw book values out the window... you'll find that their actual cash value is much higher than most "normal" agencies you talk to (state farm, progressive etc.). Just make sure you care covered for what you are paying for the car. If their actual cash value is not what you paid ask Chubb to bump it up to what you paid. They will bump it up 35% without any sort of appraisal. Good Luck! And that was Chubb.. which came as a reference from a fellow NSX primer... I can't thank him (Ron!) enough either! Lastly... enjoy the ride :)

Hi Michael,

Nice buy...I don't know anything about the car, but sure looks like a great deal...=)

Not sure about how reliable the TT is.. insure it through Chubb... They are great..

Hi Argon, is Chubb a local insurance company, or are they nationwide? If they insure in Las Vegas, do you have any contact information? I'd like to get a quote...

Levi

Last edited:
Thanks Argon NSX! I have already found one in my town and plan on calling them Monday morning!

Anyone else know how reliable a carbtec twin turbo is on an NSX?! :D

Congrats Michael. That car looks impressive and is a great deal.

Btw, PM me - I know a few of the shreveport s2000 group members.

insure it through Chubb... They are great..
argon_nsx recently started selling Chubb insurance and receiving commissions on it - at least it appears so, since he is now inserting that recommendation into topics all over this forum, ones that have nothing to do with insurance. :D argon_nsx has no experience with anyone who has had an NSX totalled, and is basing his advice on scuttlebutt conversations with insurance companies, not on actual cases. The fact is, insurance companies pay claims based on market value, not on artificially low values published in some of the reference guides. (Note that market values in reference guides are for bone stock cars, and often owners of modded cars think that their cars are worth more than they really are.) You can prove to the insurance companies how much your car is worth by pulling listings of comparable cars (that's why this is easier with stock cars than modded cars). I've known quite a few NSX owners who have totalled their cars, and in every single case, the owner received at least its approximate fair market value (and in about half the cases, MORE than fair market value).

I would be very hesitant to buy auto insurance from Chubb, and I'll tell you why. They don't sell a lot of auto insurance. (That's why you won't find them listed in the surveys of auto insurance customers published by JD Power, Consumer Reports, etc; not enough data.) The impact of that on you, as a customer, is this: If you have an accident in which your car is not totalled - which is far more common than total losses - you will be taking your car to a body shop (hopefully, one with a lot of NSX experience). Most body shops have longstanding relationships with adjusters from the major insurance companies, so it's easier for them to get approval for the repairs to be done the right way (including additional reimbursements if they get partway through the repair and find that it's going to be more expensive than first estimated). This happens all the time. But when a body shop has no previous contact with an insurance company, especially with a car whose repairs are very expensive, what's going to happen? You don't really know. It's another risk. So is the quality of their customer service. It's reassuring to know (from those surveys) that companies like Amica, USAA, and State Farm have a much greater chance of satisfying their customers than AIG, Farmers, Mercury, and Progressive. How good is Chubb at this? Again, you really don't know, so this is yet another risk. If it's worth it to you to accept those risks in order to get an agreed value policy from Chubb, by all means go for it. But these are considerations to think about when choosing an auto insurer.

I think your best bet for insurance is to compare prices (you can do this using websites like Insweb.com and Insure.com), do your homework on which auto insurance companies do the best job of keeping their customers happy (you can look in Consumer Reports, whose last report on auto insurance companies was in the March 2006 issue, as well as on the JD Power website), and then make your decision. You may want to consider an insurance company with a local agent in your area, since the agent may be willing to "go to bat for you" in case you have any problems with settling a claim.

BTW, you can find insurance rates from the above websites without actually buying the car. This is a good idea, especially since insurance rates vary by location, driving record, driver demographics, etc, so other people's rates may not be relevant to your situation. Find out how much it would cost YOU as part of your research, before deciding on which car to buy.

nsxtacy- Thanks for the great advice! I will be checking into all of that information tomorrow!
I have American National right now for my S2000 and my wife's mustang. I am VERY happy with them and have full coverage of both vehicles for 160 per month! Not to bad for a 22 year old!
I had a tire hit my S on the interstate, and called my rep. and she had me a check for $1300 to repaint the front bumper ( and fade up the hood and fenders ) in less than a week. They did not send out an adjuster, just sent me to a body shop. My rates did not go up as a result of this either!
I also have over $10k of mod's covered by on my car, and it did not cost a penny extra! It did not change my "class" that my car fell under, so my cost did not go up!

Again, thanks for the advice and I will be checking out those websites and making quite a few calls tomorrow!

Back