Interview: Acura Reveals More Details of NSX - CAR and DRIVER

So in 2 years Acura will make a NSX that is faster then the current R8. I am guessing they are talking about the V8 R8 not the V10.

So it is going to be expensive, in the R8 and 991 range. R8 is a whole lot more expensive than a base 991. R8 starts at $115,000 plus $9,000 for the DCT transmission, so $124,000. 991 base model is $84,000 plus $4000 for the PDK transmission, so $88,000 going all the way up to $170,000 for a Turbo. Quite a range. Better not be trying to sell me an NSX for R8 or more pricing. Who are the customers going to be at those prices? And with a V6????

That interview said virtually nothing about what the car will be. Just a puff piece really.

Here is the video

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k91JnQJgcQI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

- - - Updated - - -

Better not be trying to sell me an NSX for R8 or more pricing. Who are the customers going to be at those prices? And with a V6????

Why not? What makes an R8 superior to an NSX that it can't be sold for as much or more? Because it is Audi versus Acura? May I say Audi had made their fair share of crap throughout the years? Who do you trust for reliability and resale value? Audi or Acura? And these days, what does the number of cylinders matter? we've moved beyond that. When you focus on making a great car, what matters is the car and the driving experience, exactly as TK pointed out. If that fantastic experience can come via a 4 cylinder, I still wouldn't care. I want a car that I get out of and say "wow. That was awesome". So I don't think the number of cylinders matter, when you are trying to stay as light as possible and have determined that a hybrid can do things a standard car cannot do.

As for the price, the car was 90K in 2005. Hell it was 60K in 1991. And a bargain at that. So 24 years later being in the middle of a 911 range or R8 range it too much? You can only ask the engineers to do so much. Light weight, drivers car, new levels of handling and response to the driver, and so many other things. You can't ALSO handicap them and say we need a $90K car. That's bean counting and that's how you ruin a car. Let the car be 150K. It helps preserve current NSX pricing (or raise it), and it allows the engineers to use the materials they need. Do the things they need to do to beat a $250,000 Ferrari 458. Let the "bargain" end come from the performance end, not the dollar end. The car needs to and will be exclusive and the higher price range will ensure that. I am all for it.

Last edited:
150k? I think they just won't sell more than a few in the year of introduction to early adopters at that kind of price. GT-R was introduced at $69k in 2008, and they sold a ton of them. NSX was introduced at $60k and they sold a ton of those as well, including one to me. Then NSX prices kept going up and up and no one bought them. GT-R price has been going up and up and sales are tanking worldwide. They are just selling a little over 100 a month in the US and price is only $99k, even with 545 HP twin turbo V6. Think a new sports car from someone who has been out of the business for 10 years is going to sell at $150k, I don't. Some might not care about price, but everyone I know who either owns an NSX and is thinking of buying the new one or doesn't own one and is thinking of buying the new one is chocking on the proposed price. C7 is $51k with an aluminum frame and 460 HP. That will sell. I think Acura should target a much lower price point than the one in the range of the R8 and possibly more if they want to make a long term go of it. If price is too high, and development keeps increasing costs, Honda might just cancel the project when sales projections start coming in. A buddy of mine sold his NSX and has bought 3 Porsches since. I asked him if he would consider an NSX as his next car, and he just said no, Porsche has the reputation and he going to stick with that, even though he really enjoyed his original NSX. Many others may feel the same if the price is high, unless Honda pulls out some kind of miracle in terms of performance and driver feel. But who in the NSX design team has any kind of pedigree at designing world class sports cars? They spent 7 years developing the GT-R, with the chief engineer taken from their long term racing programme, and years of track testing. So far on the new NSX, just a lot of nothing. They may not be keeping my deposit for long unless I start to feel some good vibrations. I was really, really not impressed by the project leader in that car interview. Nothing he said gave me the warm and fuzzies or inspired confidence in him. But I am willing to have my opinion changed.

You are making the assumption that this car is being targeted for high sales within the category and some profit for Honda. I don't think that is the case at all. It is Honda's Halo car. Ferrari needs to make money on the 458. They don't sell $20K accords. Honda does. They don't need to make money on the NSX. The point of the NSX is to be a halo car, not some medium volume profit maker. The last NSX wasn't. Hand building an aluminum car in a special factory with mostly unique parts... yeah... 60K is not leaving a fat margin anywhere. Their goal is in fact what you are saying "unless" to. New levels of performance and driving experience within that range. This car will come in higher than the GTR... I am guessing a base of 127-137K with an optioned out model getting into the 140 range.

I told myself that I'd never pay Porsche prices.

Liked the car (2013 991C2S) & after the test drive decided "this just might be worth it". Went home
thought about it and the next day - made the deal. For me it drove like nothing I'd ever experienced.

The same scenario happened in 1994 when I purchased my 1st NSX (new)...1st impression was
no way I'm buying a $75K Acura! The test drive(s) sealed the deal.

Maybe the 2015 NSX will be the same way.

Sometimes price becomes secondary.

I have to agree every interview this guy gives we know less and less. His answer to will the car be V6 and have the three electric motors made it sound like those things were up in the air??

I hope it gets an 8speed or higher DCT as 7spd will be the norm in 2 years. Driver experience also means great noises. They'll need to really tune the new car for engine/exhaust sound.

Last edited:
In all honestly I wish they would have shown the concept @ Detroit in January and shipped the 1st production car the following October. Does anyone recall the concept to production time on the original NSX ?

my 96 price sheet showed 83k out the door of Greenwich acura......so what does any newly employed doc do to get his dream car asap......lease:redface:

So it is going to be expensive, in the R8 and 991 range. R8 is a whole lot more expensive than a base 991. R8 starts at $115,000 plus $9,000 for the DCT transmission, so $124,000. 991 base model is $84,000 plus $4000 for the PDK transmission, so $88,000 going all the way up to $170,000 for a Turbo. Quite a range. Better not be trying to sell me an NSX for R8 or more pricing. Who are the customers going to be at those prices? And with a V6????

That interview said virtually nothing about what the car will be. Just a puff piece really.

Oh, but they will be...and you'll be buying or being a "have not". Deal with it.

The next "NSX" will be priced around $115-130K... Learn it, know it, live it.

Last edited:
BTW, the current era of Audi has an incredible resale value (omitting the A8 model where big body luxury sedans retain no value regardless of Audi, Benz, Lexus, Bimmer, etc..). The current era of Acura is struggling.

Back