Internet security - SCARY

Received an email from a former girlfriend today (work address from a Fortune 25 Company) - stating that she had a baby girl last month (result of our vacation in Mexico early '02). I'm supposed to be the father, and that she didn't know how else to tell me but she thought we could raise a family together, etc.

Anyway, after I caught my breath, I found out it was my computer consultant buddy playing a joke on me. He was able to write a program that can send an email from any address to anyone. Since he knew her work email, I ended up being the guinea pig. MORAL OF THE STORY: IT'S PRETTY UNSECURE OUT IN CYBERSPACE. He said he was able to hack into a major company's computers and the systems had no clue. His client is the federal government, so he's not going to be doing anything damaging, but it sure OPENED UP MY EYES! For a moment I thought I was faced with the decision of a lifetime. Gene

'97 NSX-T 3.2 L
- Comptech exhaust, Dali swaybars, K&N
fipk, Cantrell Concepts A.I.S.
'99 TRD Tacoma
'03 Mini Cooper S
'96 CBR 900 RR

The good old telnet to port 25...

helo whitehouse.gov
>250 host.whitehouse.gov Hello root@localhost, pleased to meet you

mail from: [email protected]
>250 [email protected]... Sender ok

rcpt to: [email protected]
>250 [email protected]... Recipient ok

data
>354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself

Reply-To: ... (what you want)
Subject: Test Message

Hello Nsx13
(write what you want)
Blah Blah Blah
Blah Blah Blah
Blah Blah Blah

The lines beginning with ">" are the answer from the Mail server...

nsx13: while it may seem spooky, it's no different to someone typing a similar letter from ur ex-GF and posting it via snail-mail.

i bet you took a few deep breaths after reading that.... *grin*

PHOEN$X: And use protection from now on!!

lol. such tact. u say it as it is.
smile.gif

Back