Interested in this NSX... what do you think?

Hi -

I'm very new to the NSX forum but I think I've been bitten by the NSX bug since one up close and personal this past Sunday at a car show. What a beautiful car. It goes without saying that I'm a car guy, but I guess that's needless to say, since I'm on this board. Anyway - I currently owned a 2007 BMW M5 and love the car but is seriously thinking about trading it in for this 1992 NSX. What do the experts on this forum think about this car with all the custom work and the price being asked? Thank you in advance.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/3211051910.html

Kiet

I think it's a nice looking car, well despite the wheels which are a little too "blingy" and large for my tastes. The alacantra is a nice touch to the interior. I would want to know if the car was formerly supercharged, since it has the gages, accidents (if so what happened, accident's not a deal breaker to me, depending on what the damage was and how it was prepared).

Is it in snap ring range?
TB/WP done?
Clutch?
Window fix it things?

Get a PPI done that includes, compression and a leak down test to check the health of the motor, if you pursue this car.

Good luck.

Carl

I think it's a nice looking car, well despite the wheels which are a little too "blingy" and large for my tastes. The alacantra is a nice touch to the interior. I would want to know if the car was formerly supercharged, since it has the gages, accidents (if so what happened, accident's not a deal breaker to me, depending on what the damage was and how it was prepared).

Is it in snap ring range?
TB/WP done?
Clutch?
Window fix it things?

Get a PPI done that includes, compression and a leak down test to check the health of the motor, if you pursue this car.

Good luck.

Carl

Carl - thanks for this advice. I will definitely ask and do everything you suggested. What are the downside of a supercharger being removed? Is it a bad thing for it to be removed after it was installed?

Kiet

Last edited:
Carl - thanks for this advice. I will definitely ask and do everything you suggested. What are the downside of a supercharger being removed? Is it a bad thing for it to be removed after it was installed?

Kiet

There is nothing bad to it being removed, just that the engine was FI which could cause premature wear of components, piston seals etc. This is why you want to do the compression and leak down test so you know you have a healthy motor from the beginning and not one that has significant wear and is down on compression.

Carl

Hi -

I'm very new to the NSX forum but I think I've been bitten by the NSX bug since one up close and personal this past Sunday at a car show. What a beautiful car. It goes without saying that I'm a car guy, but I guess that's needless to say, since I'm on this board. Anyway - I currently owned a 2007 BMW M5 and love the car but is seriously thinking about trading it in for this 1992 NSX. What do the experts on this forum think about this car with all the custom work and the price being asked? Thank you in advance.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/3211051910.html

Kiet

Kiet - Are you local NoVA? I know i met someone with an M5 at C&C Fairlakes on Sun. I have the 2002 Imola Orange NSX.

Either way, if you're DC/MD/VA, would be glad to help out in your search. Shoot me a pm. NSX is a great car, so take your time and educate yourself on the car here at PRIME. The search is half the fun :)

Kiet - Are you local NoVA? I know i met someone with an M5 at C&C Fairlakes on Sun. I have the 2002 Imola Orange NSX.

Either way, if you're DC/MD/VA, would be glad to help out in your search. Shoot me a pm. NSX is a great car, so take your time and educate yourself on the car here at PRIME. The search is half the fun :)

Hey -

Yes - I do remember your Imola Orange NSX. Actually - your car was the reason that I'm in this mess now. :) Your NSX was beautiful. Since that day, all I've been doing is look for the NSX online. What a beautiful after all these years. Do you have any opinion on the NSX that I'm currently intested in? I copied the URL in my original post. It's a 1992 but had a alot of custom work done to it. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Does the asking price seem fair to you? Thanks in advance for your help.

Kiet

Check your pm.

Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Does the asking price seem fair to you? Thanks in advance for your help.

Kiet

For the most part the mods are tastefully done, perhaps the only thing that would bother me are the boost gages since it's not an FI car anymore. If the car checks out sound mechanically, then I think its a fair price given the mileage and mods.

Check b3nglert's threads, he experienced some nightmare issues (including a blown head gasket necessitating a head rebuild) after the CTSC was removed in his 96 midnight pearl prior to purchase. I don't know if the events are related, and a PPI didn't discover the issues, but it is another variable in the equation.

On the other hand, my brother's coupe also had a supercharger removed (by SOS) but it's been problem free since he purchased it 8 years ago.

My point is that you need to tread very carefully with a modded car, and make sure all the mods are properly documented and were correctly installed/removed by a qualified tech/shop.

Last edited:
this car has been discussed, flood damage/salvage title potentiallly being the issue here.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164851

i tried getting the VIN but no reponse from seller...

The unclean title is a huge issue, not so much in terms of actual damage to the car, but the difficulty in getting adequate insurance coverage for it. Since it's a modded car, I don't even know what insurance would consider it's worth. But let's say a clean titled car with the exact same mods is worth the $35k that he is asking, most insurance companies (the few that will actually write a comprehensive policy for an unclean titled car) will deduct 30%-50% of the value off the bat when it comes to claims, leaving you in the hole for the difference. You have to ask yourself if you willing to take the risk for eating that kind of loss.

Back