Insurance costs?

Who cares about how much insurance costs on a $200K NSX?

Last November, before purchasing my 991 Turbo, took a new '15 C7Z06/07 out for about an hour test drive ($106K MSRP).
Lots of car for the $ - made note of the vin #.

Contacted my agent & got an insurance quote on the Corvette just in case....already knew the premium on the Porsche
and he had my prior '13 991C2S.

Porsche MSRP was nearly $70K higher than the Corvette, but insurance on the Corvette was 25% higher
with the same coverage. I have a clean record.

FWIW been with my agent many years (20+) and he knows the performance
car insurance markets & does many Hagerty & Grundy type agreed value policies for enthusiasts
along with traditional companies.

Long story short, the cost of insurance wasn't the show stopper on the Corvette, but surprising nonetheless.

Don't recall insurance $$ being high on my former NSX's, but something to consider before you jump.....this new NSX is
a different ballgame than the Gen 1.

2 seater Corvette v. 2+2 Porsche. The back seat results in a meaningfully lower insurance rate.

2 seater Corvette v. 2+2 Porsche. The back seat results in a meaningfully lower insurance rate.

my guess would be Corvette's are probably crashed more often than Porsches also? different owner demographic?

but a Porsche would certainly have a considerably higher repair cost than a Corvette one would imagine?

I'm glad someone brought this topic up. Fast cars fetch high insurance premiums. I wonder what the new Nsx would cost as well.

My Gen 1 NSX cost more to insure than my V10 R8 through AAA

^Really? I pay 90$ a month for a 250$ deductible on full coverage.

Guys want to know a bit of a trick/advice? That is - skip collision. I am with Progressive insurance, and no matter what car I have, if I skip collision, it is always nearly the same price (AUDI r8, Dodge Viper, Toyota Corolla, etc). I don't know about you guys but I have still 2 tickets on my record and am 27 years old, and with collision my insurance SKY ROCKETS to many many thousands of dollars. The good news is collision is there only to protect you if you get into a car accident and the blame falls on you. If it is the other driver's fault, then you'll be paid for damages even if you do not carry collision. In case of a theft, natural disaster, fire, garage imploding, tree squashing your car, etc, you are covered under comprehensive.

That's what I've always done and it has worked out for me.

Guys want to know a bit of a trick/advice? That is - skip collision. I am with Progressive insurance, and no matter what car I have, if I skip collision, it is always nearly the same price (AUDI r8, Dodge Viper, Toyota Corolla, etc). I don't know about you guys but I have still 2 tickets on my record and am 27 years old, and with collision my insurance SKY ROCKETS to many many thousands of dollars. The good news is collision is there only to protect you if you get into a car accident and the blame falls on you. If it is the other driver's fault, then you'll be paid for damages even if you do not carry collision. In case of a theft, natural disaster, fire, garage imploding, tree squashing your car, etc, you are covered under comprehensive.

That's what I've always done and it has worked out for me.
Well that is fine and dandy in California. But what say your in Florida or other no fault states? Besides, people cut me off all the time in California and if I hit them, I am at fault. Sorry but I would never ever cancel collision coverage. Which is also mandatory for a "new car/new Nsx" no matter what state unless paying in full cash... Risky. Over to save a few hundred bucks....

I guess you have a point.

Luckily I'll have 0 tickets by the time I get the NSX maybe that'll help my case, because last I checked it was $300-$400/month on my AUDI r8 so decided to go with comprehensive only at $90/month.

And damn, I'm considering moving to Florida. :/

I guess you have a point.

Luckily I'll have 0 tickets by the time I get the NSX maybe that'll help my case, because last I checked it was $300-$400/month on my AUDI r8 so decided to go with comprehensive only at $90/month.

And damn, I'm considering moving to Florida. :/
Wait a cotton pickin minute... You have an R8 and your an insurance broker? Man,,, my dad lied. I am in the wrong business...:wink:

Actually, now that I Googled it some more, seems like fault / no-fault only applies to medical and bodily injury:

When it comes to physical damage to your car or its contents, unlike compensation for bodily injury claims, insurance claims are still based on fault. Those claims are handled in the same way as those in a state with a fault law

And no longer have the R8. Recently sold it in anticipation for the NSX . :-)

I would go high deductible collision before no collision on a car this expensive. No collision protection is very risky with high powered cars.

Any more feedback on insurance costs?

Mine will be $3698. The guy was like, what is the MSRP, followed by I never had a request for one of these before

Last edited:
I assume, per annum?

USAA online quoted a $1,174/year increase which includes dropping an S2000 from coverage. That includes some significant discounts, fwiw.

(BTW, USAA calls it a 2017 ACURA NSX HYB 2D 4X4 :) )

USAA online quoted a $1,174/year increase which includes dropping an S2000 from coverage. That includes some significant discounts, fwiw.

(BTW, USAA calls it a 2017 ACURA NSX HYB 2D 4X4 :) )

That seems implausible. But I'm still jealous. Hope they write the policy for you!

That seems implausible. But I'm still jealous. Hope they write the policy for you!

Unforunately, I'm not in the market for a new NSX. The price came in quite a bit higher than I was hoping for - in the meantime I'll continue enjoying the S2000 while keeping a close eye on what happens with the NSX on the assumption that it might inform some of the design principles of an S2000 replacement, or maybe the rumored "baby NSX." I did the online insurance quote with USAA just for curiosity's sake.

Some more details if they help: Full 100k/300k coverage, $200 comp and $500 collision deductibles, 4000 miles/year (same as the S2000.) For previous car purchases the actual price has always been pretty much the same as the quoted price. Also that price is after savings and discounts amounting to about 48%, so I guess it'd be about $2,445 in a vacuum.

When I recently got my Gen 1 nsx ('02) my long term (~ 40 years) Nationwide would not insure it. However, my agent said they are affiliated with Hagery and it can be insured via them for ~$1750/ yr. But she then added that Hagery had a special program I might fit in so she set me up for meeting at home. For those with several special cars, you may want to check in with Hagerty and ask about their "expert collector" program coverage.
They will send a rep to inspect and eval your cars for qualifying plus take pix of them, mileage how stored etc. Then the rep will meet with several others and go over your stats. They will agree on assigned "true values" in today's market which you get to weigh in on. Then if your total value meets a fairly high minimum, you qualify. Next your credit history, club affiliations and othe data get mixed in. The Purpose of that is to determine your cost per $100 of coverage. I believe it could range from as high as say something like $0.80 to $0.30/$100.
It was a dream come true for me. First benefit is I now have True Market value for most of my cars including mods and upgrade and extrem low miles etc. You and Hagerty come to agree on those values. Daily drivers don't qualify for this so they will be std ins. Big plus is there is no limitations on driving any of the toys. In the end I've now got them covering a total of 10 cars, 1 truck, and 1 ( my oldest) motorcycle for real numbers on values with no limitations. AT ~$2350/yr! Or about $600 more than std coverage on '02 NSX alone. There are a number of parameters to meet to This special program qualification. But if you do, it is Home Run! Key is having enough of the right cars in the right condition, stored the right way ( which in total value has to be a fairly high number) and having the right credit etc history.
I don't know yet what the cost will become with the new NSX but I'd expect not overly high.
Good luck to those who chose to look into it.

attachment.php

I'm looking at buying now in the next 5ish months and went ahead and called my insurance company to see what it would cost and just got my quote.

Attachments

• insur.png
    insur.png
    73.7 KB · Views: 996
Back