Insurance Claim Questions

Hello All,

I was hit from behind recently, and the other driver's insurance has accepted liability for the accident. They inspected the car and told me their appraisal is $1500 to fix it. I told them I already have an estimate from a body shop for $2500, and this is just an initial estimate; it may turn out to be more once they actually do the repairs. And what about car rental costs while the car is in the shop? They were saying like, $1500 is what we will pay you, then you can take it to any body shop you want to get it fixed. Obviously, I was pissed, why should I have to payout money of my pocket for an accident that I wasn't at fault??

Of course, I didn't take their offer. But, I wanted to ask your opinions on what options are available to me?? What would you do? My impression was: once they accepted liability, I can take my car to any body shop, and all payments would be handled between the insurance company and the body shop.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Tom

I'm no expert, but they should reimburse what it costs to make you "whole." I'm willing to bet that they obtained the lowest possible estimate from the cheapest repair shop, without taking into consideration the added expense of doing paint/body work on an all-aluminum car. I would think it's within reason to insist that the repair work be done at an experienced NSX body shop, or an Acura dealership, and with original Acura parts.

Good luck!

Discuss this with your body shop and ask them how to proceed.

Most body shops have relationships with the major insurance companies and are accustomed to working with their adjusters on claims.

Thanks for your advice. I will discuss this with my body shop. This was my first major accident, and have never dealt with insurance adjusters before. I reported the accident to my insurance, but told them I wasn't filing a claim on my policy, but the other driver's policy.... I'll give my insurance a call, and see what they say.

I didn't mention it before, but this happened to my Honda Accord; I don't own an NSX yet, hence the off-topic section, but I am in the market for an automatic NSX
smile.gif
with a $30k budget.

Thanks again you guys, I really enjoy reading this board, and checking out the for sale section.

Tom

If you are not satisfied with their offer, you can refuse it and have a few options to consider.

You can put the claim through your own insurance company and you would be out of pocket, at least temporarily, for your deductible. Your insurance company would file a subrogation claim against the other driver and you should insist that they get 100% back so that you get your deducbtible back from your own carrier. Many times insurance companies will settle for a lesser percentage rather than pay an attorney to sit in small claims court to get the full amount but you can insist they get paid in full.

Your other option would be to file the claim yourself but that would mean you either would have to front the repairs costs or wait until after the trial to get the repairs done. I am not sure how long the small claims dockets are by you by in NY the whole procedure would take at least 90 days.

My recommendation would be to file with your comprehensive coverage and eat the deductible for now while telling your insurance company you will cooperate fully with their subrogation department.

Bob

Back