Input on buying a rebuilt NSX

Hello Everyone,
My first post here. I am looking into a NSX that has been rebuilt from an accident, it was not totalled but needed about $20,000 in repairs to get it back on the road, the car was repaired to factory specs and the job looks like it was done right but I of course will have it checked out with a PPI. The car is a '91: in great shape, full service history, 35,000 miles on it. Stereo not working and some issues with the windows. My question would be: What kind of price range should this car be in? I am looking to make a fair offer, but I know that accident will creep up if I ever go to sell it.
Thanks for the help.
Jason

Last edited:
I know a few other members here will chime in as well.

First, find out all you can on the accident.

Having said that, if it's been repaired very well, no creaks or rattles ( don't know if this is possible ), I could see low to possibly mid 20's, maybe. Probably in today's market and depending on condition, low 20's to high teens.

PPI the car and see where she is structurally.

If she's salvaged, that's another story altogether.

Does the car have a "salvage" turned "rebuilt" title, or is it clean and she was just rebuilt?

Last edited:
with the market as it is now, if you were to find a 91 with around the same mileage with all service records and in very good condition, you would be looking to pay around the 30K mark. with the accident, and since the repairs were so costly, i would assume that there is a rebuilt or salvage title that comes with the car.

that being said, if all service has been done, the condition is pretty good, and the repairs were done to restore the car back to OEM condition, i would think that the low 20's range would be just about right. i think the hurting point for the car would be the extensive repairs (20K) done to put it back on the road.

there have been a few salvaged nsx's pass through prime in the not so distant past with picture documentation of the damage, which was very light with no frame work, that have passed through in the mid 20K range, but they had considerably more miles.

if you plan to sell in the future, i don't think you will have that hard of a time, or lose out monetarily because the pricepoint for early NA1's has been pretty consistent for many years now, and the repairs won't diminish the value more than it has already, saying the car was repaired correctly.

Welcome :smile:

If you intend on "saving" some money by purchasing this car, I think its a really bad idea. I think you would be a lot better off waiting until you can afford to buy a car with no accident history.

A PPI done by a dealer is not going to tell you if the frame is straight. Make sure you take this car to a reputable frame shop and have it checked out. Otherwise, your tires could wear prematurely. On a NSX, the tire wear is already accelerated.

Best of Luck

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the replies! I actually know the person selling the car well. I am not trying to save money on this car. I have been around this car for the past 10 years or so and I am familiar with it. Since I know the guy well, I do not want to insult him buy making a really low offer. I have already asked him what he wanted for it and he said market value...lol...sounds like he wanted me to make him the offer. I am appreciative of the help so far!
Jason

Beyond the obvious repairs, don't forget to see if it's in snap-ring range, and has the timing belt/wp been done? These can be pricey repairs. I'd offer $20K-ish and see where it goes. After a PPI you can negotiate down more if needed. Good luck!

FYI - There are 2 black and a red one on Ebay with similar milage and clear titles around $25-26K, so keep that in mind if this has a salvage title.

Last edited:
Just found out that it does not have a salvage title, so that surely helps when I called my insurance company. They had no issues with insurance. Seems things are looking good. I will know more after Friday...
Jason

Here is the update:
PPI went well. There are some minor issues that need addressing but nothing major. Mechanically the car is in excellent shape. Clutch has about 2500 miles on it.

Minor Issues:
Slow windows, passenger one almost does not work
Stereo does not work at all
fit and finish is very good considering it is a respray
Timing belt is due for a change

So at this point we ar negotiating the price, I am in the high teens at this point as those issues need addressing and he is in the mid 20's...so once he realizes the car is worth the offer I made ...it looks like I will be the owner.

I will be sure to keep you up to date once I have it! (hopefully)
Jason

Here is the update:
PPI went well. There are some minor issues that need addressing but nothing major. Mechanically the car is in excellent shape. Clutch has about 2500 miles on it.

Minor Issues:
Slow windows, passenger one almost does not work
Stereo does not work at all
fit and finish is very good considering it is a respray
Timing belt is due for a change

So at this point we ar negotiating the price, I am in the high teens at this point as those issues need addressing and he is in the mid 20's...so once he realizes the car is worth the offer I made ...it looks like I will be the owner.

I will be sure to keep you up to date once I have it! (hopefully)
Jason

Good luck... I can feel your excitement through the web. I miss those days. :frown:

Beyond the obvious repairs, don't forget to see if it's in snap-ring range, and has the timing belt/wp been done? These can be pricey repairs. I'd offer $20K-ish and see where it goes. After a PPI you can negotiate down more if needed. Good luck!

FYI - There are 2 black and a red one on Ebay with similar milage and clear titles around $25-26K, so keep that in mind if this has a salvage title.

Check these items out, as they are pricey and cannot be ignored. If you are on a tight budget, rethink the actual ownership cost vs. initial cost. Total respray? Could you even sell this in the future easily? (keeping it forever never happens - that's life)

It is out of the snap ring range, so no worries there. The timing belt should be replaced at this point. The PPI stated the belt was in good shape but it was replaced 4 years and a few months ago so due to time, it has been suggested that it be done. No need to worry about selling it as this would be my daily driver and hopefully I would have it about 10 years or so considering it only has 30k on it. The repairs on the car were from a place in PA that specialized in nsx's and did the repairs to factory spec. If I can get this car for mid to high teens then I am pretty confident that this is a good deal on a strong daily driver! Just waiting for the seller to come to that realization as well...I think he needs some beers over the weekend!

Jason

The maintenence interval on a timing belt is 6 years so if it was done 4 years ago, you have a couple more to enjoy before its due. I would ask to see the original repair bill so you can see the extent of the repairs. A PPI probably won't catch everything that was done.

Back