Info on importing into Canada

I believe that there was a great thread outlining the hoops one had to jump through to get an NSX into Canada. However I am having difficulty in finding it. Can anyone help?
In addition, can anyone clarify the leniency of importing a vehicle that is more than 15 years old.
Thanks a lot.

I believe that there was a great thread outlining the hoops one had to jump through to get an NSX into Canada. However I am having difficulty in finding it. Can anyone help?
In addition, can anyone clarify the leniency of importing a vehicle that is more than 15 years old.
Thanks a lot.

Go to www.riv.ca. It will answer most of your questions.

Thanks a lot.

You mean this http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97873? Its in the Canada News Section, NSX Club of Canada announcements and information (The most top post).... :smile:

AND you pay NSX Tax - $100 a year to be a member of the NSX Club of Canada and enjoy our Member Benefits, which include a membership gift each year, service and parts discounts, insurance, and being part of a sanctioned club so the police won't be able to hassle you when you get together with other NSXers!

And Red will post where the list of these discounts and deals are, so more Canadian guys will know and sign up.
Trev

Yes he should.

And Red will post where the list of these discounts and deals are, so more Canadian guys will know and sign up.
Trev

Yes Red should, and before Biobanker tells us how he's slow with everything especially his pink Porsche and we have to go down that road, here's what we have so far:

20% off parts and labour at Erin Mills Acura (they will ship anywhere in Canada)
10% off parts at Speedstar
Renewal Gift (this year a hardcover version of Honda's press release for the NSX)
Access to cruises
Access to Est Fest
Access to NSXPO without joining NSXCA
Inurance for organized drives/cruises/gatherings
Driving Instruction iaw Hanson International Driving School
Perhaps ALMS Car Coraal.
We have obtained special sponsorship from Honda Canada twice and some of those funds are available for club use for events etc.

The key is each region will be autonomous, meaning we share expenses for insurance, incorporation, banking and renewal gifts, but the remaining funds from your dues are for your own use. We are just looking for leadership in the other regions (Alberta? BC? Quebec? We know you're out there) to get something going out there and we'll help out however we can.

Essentially we need someone to step up and become a member of the club's executive and run with things in those areas. You'll need the help of others, so talk amongst yourselves, and when you've got some critical mass, let us know and we'll arrange for a couple of you guys to be regional VPs!

Thanks for all the relevant and extraneous info received to date.

I am a little slow and still seeking clarification on 3 issues:
1. Were there any North American manufactured NSXs that would be exempt from the 6.1% duty
2. If the car to be imported is more than 15 years old are the daylight driving lights still required to be installed?
3. I assume that all NSX vehicles originally sold in the US include kilometers per hour on the speedometer. Correct?

Just trying to dot the i's and cross the t's.

Thanks

1. Were there any North American manufactured NSXs that would be exempt from the 6.1% duty

any car more than 15 years old or built in N.A. is exempt the 6.1%

2. If the car to be imported is more than 15 years old are the daylight driving lights still required to be installed?

DLT are required on all cars from 1989 on. I used the front white outside marker lamps on my 1991.

3. I assume that all NSX vehicles originally sold in the US include kilometers per hour on the speedometer. Correct?

Correct.

Thanks

See: http://alerts.lemonfree.ca/importing_car_canada.php

Thanks

Day Time Running Lamps:

You do not need these until you take the car for an inspection.

Simply connect the front park lamps to a fused power connection with the ignition key in the on position. (You will need to cut the existing wires for these lamps as without cutting, all park lamps will always be on.

here is a picture of mine:
View attachment 41776

AND you pay NSX Tax - $100 a year to be a member of the NSX Club of Canada and enjoy our Member Benefits, which include a membership gift each year, service and parts discounts, insurance, and being part of a sanctioned club so the police won't be able to hassle you when you get together with other NSXers!

best investment i did since buying the nsx, these guys were here every step, install ! and the discounts are great too!

^_^

I imported a 91 to Vancouver. For DRL's I just picked up a used set off Prime, did the install myself the week before the inspection. Did the inspection in the morning, everything was good. Took off the DRL's the same day in the afternoon :)

Oh yeah, My advice is do not take it to Canadian Tire for the Provincial Inspection. This is the most common place but not necessarily the best. I've heard horror stories. There are much more better places to do it. PM me for a contact who can do it for you.

Thanks for all the advice.

I have a few more queries.

1. Not sure as to how the license plate work. What plates are on the vehicle while being driven back to Canada?

2. What is the best way of making the payment so that both parties are comfortable?

3. Since Customs needs the Bill of sale 72 hours in advance and to insure the vehicle for the in transit period the insurance co apparently wants to see the Bill of Sale,does that mean that one prepays for the vehicle before actually taking delivery? That sounds like a scary scenario to me!

Some sage advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

1. Not sure as to how the license plate work. What plates are on the vehicle while being driven back to Canada?

The problem isn't the plates - you can get a trip permit, the problem is the INSURANCE - generally, (in Ontario), you can't insure the car unless its registered in Ontario, which your car will not be until it gets imported and RIV'd - which isn't until after you drive it up. Typically there are two solutions:
1) Use a transport company since it is covered by their insurance
2) Borrow a Dealer Plate (I lend them to Club Members in Ontario, but I can't help you since its WAY out of Province) so you can drive the car - the plate carries insurance on it for the vehicle its attached to.

2. What is the best way of making the payment so that both parties are comfortable?

Arrange a Bank Draft to be sent to a US Bank affiliate of your Bank to be picked up by you, or wire him the funds (best) - it may take overnight for the wire to show up.

3. Since Customs needs the Bill of sale 72 hours in advance and to insure the vehicle for the in transit period the insurance co apparently wants to see the Bill of Sale,does that mean that one prepays for the vehicle before actually taking delivery? That sounds like a scary scenario to me!

Customs needs to see the Title 72hrs in advance, not the BOS, besides, you can execute the BOS for the insurance co before you actually pay, he just doesn't release the car until he gets the money and you don't pay until you drive away with the car.

BE SURE YOU LEIN CHECK THE CAR IN THE USA before you buy!!!!!! If it has a lien, you should make sure you get a lien release letter sent to you direct from the lender and/or speak to the lender and pay them the lien amount directly (best thing to do) and pay your guy the balance.

Appreciation from you is nice, but I'd prefer you send me one of those Vancouver Hotties for a weekend to truly appreciate me! :wink:

Appreciation from you is nice, but I'd prefer you send me one of those Vancouver Hotties for a weekend to truly appreciate me! :wink:[/QUOTE]

We are not sending them ANYWHERE(we're greedy), no matter what you do for us (although we do appreciate you)

I didn't have any plates on the car coming back .. just a trip permit from SGI (which is like a temporary plate) and extra 3rd part broker insurance coverage (which they had trouble figuring out as they rarely do it). In spite of having no plates for 2000 miles .. and even being passed by a cop .. I was never stopped. And my paperwork even survived a Friday night sobriety checkstop when passing through a small town. I also had a 'drive out' permit from the original State where I bought it, and managed to check with other states that I would be driving through but none of them seemed to need a 'drive through' permit.

I talked to a supervisor in the guy's bank and they agreed to act as middle-man and let me sent them a certified cheque and then they notified him that payment had arrived but was being held. I think there are now Customs & Immigration laws that want to know if you're taking more than about $25k into the US.

:
Originally Posted by VancouverBCnsx View Post
Customs needs to see the Title 72hrs in advance, not the BOS, besides, you can execute the BOS for the insurance co before you actually pay, he just doesn't release the car until he gets the money and you don't pay until you drive away with the car.

The above is incorrect. BOS is required in washington state. See US customs info packet for transportation thru Blaine, Washigton(excerpt below). You do not have to pay ahead of time to get the BOS from the seller. He should be able to give you one indicating amount due at time of delivery.

Please read through entire information packet, it should answer many of the questions that you have. If you still have questions, feel free to e-mail us with your question(s) and we will be happy to help you.

Bureau of Customs & Border Protection Phone: (360) 332-2632
Vehicle/Equipment Outbound Team Fax: (360) 332-2639
9901 Pacific Highway E-Mail: [email protected]
Blaine, WA 98230-9299

Export Hours: 8:00am – 3:30pm Monday-Friday
NO EXPORTATIONS AFTER 3:30 PM
NO EXPORTATIONS ON WEEKENDS or HOLIDAYS
(Holiday Closures for 2008: Jan 1, Jan. 21, Feb 18, May 26, July 4, Sept 1,
Oct 13, Nov 11, Nov 27, Dec 25)

Required Documents

These Documents must be on file with our office for 3-business days prior to export!!!

1. U.S. CUSTOMS & BORDER PROTECTION / NICB VEHICLE / EQUIPMENT EXPORT WORKSHEET (This document is always required)

2. Title/Certificate of Ownership, which includes Salvage title, rebuilt title, or flood title. (Because Washington State does not issue a Salvage title the required document to export a salvaged vehicle out of Washington is a PUBLIC DISCLOSURE FORM, which can be obtained from the Department of Licensing in Olympia. Contact Washington State Department of Licensing Public Disclosure Section at (360) 902-3760 for further information). An affidavit in lieu of title is NOT sufficient for export.

3. Bill of sale, this can be a hand written document between buyer and seller. If vehicle was a gift a letter of gift can be substituted for bill of sale. If you are the titled owner of the vehicle a bill of sale is not required.

Thanks for all the advice.

I have a few more queries.

As mentioned, check with the state you are buying from, they usually have a 3,7,14, or 21 day permit. there is not neccessarily a plate

Being a resident of Alberta, and bringing back a vehicle from washigton thru BC, I purchased a trip permit at an alberta DMV with origin from the Canadian crossing side (Peace arch??) to Calgary...but I actually left the car in Vancouver. In may I will buy another intransit permit with Vancouver as origin and Calgary as destination to bring the car home. However because I will drive thru washington state(sightsee in seattle), and unregistered vehicles are not permitted in washignton state, I have to buy a 3 day permit from the washignton DMV. Washignton does not accept canadian intransit permits

...my advice is to check the states you will be driving thru. As a precaution I intend on putting my integra plates on the vehicle so as to not bring on suspicion

I didn't have any plates on the car coming back .. just a trip permit from SGI (which is like a temporary plate) and extra 3rd part broker insurance coverage (which they had trouble figuring out as they rarely do it).

What is an SGI trip permit?

Do GT3's come in pink too? And are they harder to import than an NSX? ;)

In Dave's twisted world all Porsches are Pink - he keeps saying that only Gay men like his boyfriend drive Porsches:rolleyes:

Back