Improper disclosure by a car dealer in TN & GA info needed.

Does any one knows if a dealer in TN or in GA has to disclose by law any accidents/paint work to the new owner ? Any attorneys on the forum kind enough to answer this question.Feeling of being deceived is not very good,trust me.
Yasir

Car nut said:
Does any one knows if a dealer in TN or in GA has to disclose by law any accidents/paint work to the new owner ? Any attorneys on the forum kind enough to answer this question.Feeling of being deceived is not very good,trust me.
Yasir

Dealers of NEW cars in Az. are required to disclose damage above a certain amount ( $250 I believe ), and I think that is probably the case in most states. There is a famous case of a buyer that discovered repaint on his BMW that was done by the manufacturer ( I'm not sure if the work was done at the factory or at the distributor in the US, but it was done while BMW still owned the car ) and received a huge settlement. I've seen new cars that I'm certain have been repaired; some before the paint was put on and some after the original painting was done, but I have never seen this disclosed by the manufacturer. I have however seen dealerships that were very careful to disclose any damage that they knew about on new cars. Certainly cars are accidently damaged during manufacture, transport, and delivery to the dealer. The manufacturer doesn't throw these cars away; they repair them and sell them to the dealers who then retail them.

USED cars are a whole different deal - it is unrealistic to think that dealers, many of whom sell thousands of used cars a month even know about previous damage despite the fact that CUSTOMERS are often required to sign statements disclosing accidents, airbag deployments, funky titles, parking tickets that follow the car, and more. Many times the customers have extremely short memories.

There is no substute for a thorough prepurchase inspection and CARFAX report - that is incumbant on the buyer NOT the dealer.

Yes, I agree that it is important to distinguish between used cars and new cars. I'm not sure whether disclosure for new cars is required by law (in any particular state) but even where it isn't, it may be required according to the manufacturer's policies, to which the dealer is bound under their franchise agreement. Used cars, I doubt it...

car nut

i am a used car dealer in tn and we do not have to disclose anything unless the vehicle has salvage history (meaning the vehicle has been a total loss and the insurance company sells it to someone else and they rebiuld the car), in this case all we do is have you sign a form letting you know that the vehicle is has been re-built. i sell cars all the time that you can tell they have been "hit" but most consumers cannot really tell just by the quick glances they give a car before they buy. there is allmost allways signs of body work, it is hard to find someone who takes enough pride in their work, especially on an insurance deal. hope this helps.

Back