Importing US-car to Canada

NA3

Registered Member
I was wondering how difficult it would be to import a used NSX from the States into Canada. I've searched a number of Canadian used-car websites and most of the cars on the market tend to have very high odometer readings, which is something I'm not very comfortable with. In the States, however, there are many more cars to choose from, so maybe that's the way to go.

Has anyone got any experience with this type of procedure?

Thanks.

:p

hehe good luck. I will tell you this..I do know for a FACT Acura USA are bastards about the Recall Clearance letter. I had to get the original owner to fax them a US License, Proof of Insurance, and the title just to get the letter.

You call Toyota for one and they don't care you don't need all this documentation just to get a stupid letter. Pain in the ass.

satan_srv said:
:p

hehe good luck. I will tell you this..I do know for a FACT Acura USA are bastards about the Recall Clearance letter. I had to get the original owner to fax them a US License, Proof of Insurance, and the title just to get the letter.

You call Toyota for one and they don't care you don't need all this documentation just to get a stupid letter. Pain in the ass.

Hmmm....so you've done this (importing a US car into Canada) also? Just an honest opinion then: Was it worth the trouble?

NA3 said:
Hmmm....so you've done this (importing a US car into Canada) also? Just an honest opinion then: Was it worth the trouble?

price + exchange + 21% in taxes you'll have to do the math

mine was a deal no matter how I looked at it. But you're right most NSXs in Canada are highly overpriced and there's nothing special about them.

NA3 said:
Thanks, Satan. (I'd never thought I'd be saying that.)

Ha that's what everbody says. I guess it depends on your province too.

at the border you're paying 6% import, 7% gst and in Ontario when you register for licenses/registration you pay 8% pst

satan_srv said:
Ha that's what everbody says. I guess it depends on your province too.

at the border you're paying 6% import, 7% gst and in Ontario when you register for licenses/registration you pay 8% pst

I see. And I'm prepared to pay those taxes and fees. The important thing for me is to get the right car. Thanks again for your input.

It costs about 1.5% to exchange the dollars, 6.5% duty, 1000 dollars to add DRLs, 200 for broker fees, and a few other expenses. Probably not worth it when you consider most NSX in Canada have very low mileage.

Tony Montoya said:
Probably not worth it when you consider most NSX in Canada have very low mileage.

I have not had much luck finding any used NSX in Canada (admittedly, I've only conducted my search through the Web) that has low mileage. If you know of any, please let me know. Thanks.

I have imported an NSX into Canada and left a detailed post in the other link. I did it for the reasons you mentioned ... more choice.

It is not particularly difficult to do and you don't need a broker. Just to summarize .. let's say you're looking at a car for $30K US and the commercial exchange rate is about 1.4, then the Canadian price is $42K to which you add the duty of 6.5% to get to $44730.

Adding taxes is a little more convoluted because an import will have to pay GST but in the province where I live, you don't pay GST on a local private deal but you would if you bought if from a dealer. PST is a wash because typically you pay it regardless of whether it's local; out of province; or out of country.

Of course, for an import you also have to add the admin cost of importing (about $200) plus the cost of adding the DRLs. I didn't get the Canadian NSX DRLs .. just an inexpensive set of white 'fog lights' plus a relay and did it myself for <$100. Like me you will also probably have to pay for a provincial safety inspection (which the Acura dealer did for me for about $100 as I recall) but you'll likely also have to pay for that if you buy from out of province.

As I said, importing is not a big deal .. but negotiating and closing on a deal worth $40-50K Cdn from hundreds or thousands of miles away with a person you've never met and a car you've never seen is an interesting challenge that has risks (and costs) you should think about ... versus buying locally. Pictures are only useful for general appearance ...they rarely have enough detail to show the true condition.

Good luck ...Ian

NSX2398 said:
I have imported an NSX into Canada and left a detailed post in the other link. I did it for the reasons you mentioned ... more choice.....

Good luck ...Ian

Thanks for your advice and input. :)

Hey Na3, I just got my NSX from the US (last month) so I know all the details.

From the replies so far you can see the selection is better and cheaper in the sates...

Give me a call,I will fill you in... You are much better off getting some from the US.

Ph 416-819-2287

Bram

Bram said:
Hey Na3, I just got my NSX from the US (last month) so I know all the details.

From the replies so far you can see the selection is better and cheaper in the sates...

Give me a call,I will fill you in... You are much better off getting some from the US.

Ph 416-819-2287

Bram

Thanks, Bram. I'll hold you to that when I make it back home. I'm not in Canada at this moment, but will return not long from now.

:)

I guess the smart thing to do is buy in the States as the prices in Canada are very high.

Somebody in BC offered a 97 auto for 83k CDN and it had 79k km on it. I didn't even bother to call as it was a crazy asking price. He sold it for 63k and the new owner wants to flip it.

This car is low KM but a bit high priced. Still a new one is 142k CDN plus taxes.

http://www.trader.ca/Acura2000/Defa...mknm=680&mdnm=NSX&Region=&subcategory=&alpha=

Back