Importing documentation

I figured the dealer I was purchasing from would know what they are doing but it's dragged on for 2 weeks and still no NSX yet... So I figured I asked the experts here to clarify!

title documents - self-explanatory, signed to change ownership to my name
registration - what is this???
sales receipts - will the Bill of Sale do?
statement of compliance label - is this just the label on the driver's side door, with VIN and other vehicle information?
recall clearance letter - letter stating the car (with VIN) has completed all recalls.. either from manufacturer/dealer or from OwnerLink website

Currently I am scheduled to fly down to pick up the car 2 weeks from now. I can't wait!

ClayMan said:
I figured the dealer I was purchasing from would know what they are doing but it's dragged on for 2 weeks and still no NSX yet... So I figured I asked the experts here to clarify!

Call me if you like 416 258-8527

ClayMan said:
title documents - self-explanatory, signed to change ownership to my name

You need to fax the title to the boarder crossing you are using (only some will allow for cars being imported, check!) 72 hours befor eyou cross - if its 70, you'll wait for two hours before they clear you. (Always phone and check they got the fax)

ClayMan said:
registration - what is this???
Title in the US, Registration in Canada - ignore

ClayMan said:
sales receipts - will the Bill of Sale do?

Yes! Also, print out Autotrader.com so you can prove value just in case, (this is for the Canadian Customs people, who you will need to pay by certified cheque, I recomend you have one thats a little lower and make up the difference due to exchange rate with debit)

ClayMan said:
statement of compliance label - is this just the label on the driver's side door, with VIN and other vehicle information?
Yes and No, the label is on the door and you'll need some infor from it, for Canada no label yet, you get it from RIV, after you get the customs clearance form.

ClayMan said:
recall clearance letter - letter stating the car (with VIN) has completed all recalls.. either from manufacturer/dealer or from OwnerLink website

Correct, but you need this for RIV about two weeks later

ClayMan said:
Currently I am scheduled to fly down to pick up the car 2 weeks from now. I can't wait!

Get your ducks in order or you'll be camping out at the border!

Very thorough Stu, the 2 places where you can find all the info are...

Exporting a Vehicle from the USA
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/export/export_docs/motor_vehicle.xml

Importing a Vehicle into Canada
http://www.riv.ca/

All requirements are listed out here. Print them out, thoroughly review them, use them as checklists.

When a person signs the back of the title, they are signing away the ownership to you and they usually don't to that until the car is fully paid so you need to work out the logistics and timing.

We can fill in the blanks / timing questions as necessary but all the info is outlined in the 2 above sites.

Make sure you have the ORIGINAL Bill of Sale! I mean one with handwriting on it; no fax work; nothing. I got hell at the border because mine had been faxed back and forth.

I was also a day early at the border. They didn't seem to give a crap, but make sure you call them and ask if they received all your faxed documents.

95EagleAWD said:
Make sure you have the ORIGINAL Bill of Sale! I mean one with handwriting on it; no fax work; nothing. I got hell at the border because mine had been faxed back and forth.

I was also a day early at the border. They didn't seem to give a crap, but make sure you call them and ask if they received all your faxed documents.

With a lot of this stuff it depends on the examiner and his/her mood. With repsect to the Title, you only need to fax one side (but you need to present all original documents at the boarder.)

One time, over beer, I'll tell you how I smuggled a car accross the border (and no, I "didin't" stick it up my a$$!):wink:

Red said:
One time, over beer, I'll tell you how I smuggled a car accross the border (and no, I "didin't" stick it up my a$$!):wink:

Hehe... I'm not suprised. When I imported my NSX from the US, US customs checked my paperwork and I was on my way (less than 45 seconds). Canadian customs didn't even look at my car and asked me to go outside and get the info from the door jab. I paid my taxes, and I was on my way.

95EagleAWD said:
Canadian Customs didn't look at my car either... Should have BS'd about the AC and saved 100 bucks. :D

Silly when you think about it, pull the fuse (or disconnect the lead to it) so it doesn't work and save $100.

Why do they bother?

A US customs guy looked at my car to verify it was what I said it was, but mine is a 2003 and, by what they told me, one of the most expensive cars they had handled (Canada customs as well, they didn't tell me I needed certified funds for the GST and 6% since they said "nobody pays that much for a car!!!)

Obviously I was an idiot, and should have declaired its value at $30k or something like most of the comercial importers must be doing!

I just keep that new canada door sticker in my glovebox on the supra (from Texas), I didn't want to stick it on the door. Besides very few people would know you have to have it, and it's ugly.

It depends on the customs location. Call in advance. The Lewiston Bridge allowed me to use credit card. I believe they took Mastercard.

Just a word of warning, Canadian Tire refused my faxed copy of the recall letter that I got from the dealer down in the states. I also printed the page from the Ownerlink website that states that there are no recalls for the vehicle. They also rejected that one. Now I'm hoping that a local dealer can write me the letter...

ClayMan said:
Just a word of warning, Canadian Tire refused my faxed copy of the recall letter that I got from the dealer down in the states. I also printed the page from the Ownerlink website that states that there are no recalls for the vehicle. They also rejected that one. Now I'm hoping that a local dealer can write me the letter...

Tell them to stick it up their ass. It's completely legit and they can in no way refuse either of those letters.

Assholes. :mad:

Go to your local Acura guy, I did and fab charged me 100.00 or less and told me i need new tires, they where bald on the back, and signed the papers.
Why use Canadian Tire.
Do they know how to put your car on the hoist properly?
My 2 cents.
Can I get a loan now?
Trev
Clayman, fill out your profile so we know where you are!

ffffanman said:
Go to your local Acura guy, I did and fab charged me 100.00 or less and told me i need new tires, they where bald on the back, and signed the papers.
Why use Canadian Tire.
Do they know how to put your car on the hoist properly?
My 2 cents.
Can I get a loan now?
Trev
Clayman, fill out your profile so we know where you are!
Don't confuse the RIV inspection with the provincial inspection. I believe that CT is the only certified RIV inspector .. and no, they don't have to put it on a lift because all they need to check is (a) you have DRL (or equiv), and (b) you have a car seat anchor (which doesn't even need to be installed).

The purpose of the RIV inspection is to complete the paperwork that was started when you cross the border (you'll have to pay the RIV fee there in addition to duty and GST) so that you can get your compliance label for the door... and supposedly, you won't be able to get your provincial inspection done without it. Now although CT could likely also do the provincial inspection, I also did mine at Acura because (a) it needs to go on a hoist to check for things like previous accident damage, (b) it requires a wheel alignment (and I wanted them to make sure it was to the revised specs, and (c) I'd rather have an Acura NSX-trained tech working on the car than a CT grease monkey.

On the other items .. I was well within the 72 hrs for the fax and the US border guys could have cared less .. never even came outside to look at the car. Only spent about 30 mins on the Canadian side. I think I paid with Visa. I agree .. it probably depends on the crossing .. and the person you get.

do u guys think its possilbe to bring a Lotus Exige in from the states?
my boss is trying to get one, he bought an elise and now want to get the exige. do u guys think its possible?

Pccw said:
do u guys think its possilbe to bring a Lotus Exige in from the states?
my boss is trying to get one, he bought an elise and now want to get the exige. do u guys think its possible?

I don't think the Exige is on the RIV list, so it's not possible.

what duty is paid on an NSX imported into Canada? Can the seller come to Canada with the car or does the purchaser have to be at the border to take posession and pay taxes/duties?

aaronkamloops said:
what duty is paid on an NSX imported into Canada? Can the seller come to Canada with the car or does the purchaser have to be at the border to take posession and pay taxes/duties?

Dood, do a search, we have sooooo many posts on "how to"
quick answers: Duty 6.2%
you have to clear the car at US cutoms 72 hrs in advance - so even if purchaser drives it up - it must be cleared.

There is an assumption that the importer is the canadian owner - if you break that assumption you are taking stupid risks - you gonna pay duty on a car that's not yours? You need the paperwork in your name to register the vehicle, but if he pays then its in his name...etc.:rolleyes:

Don't use CT for your provincial inspection.

I had to go to one for an emergency repair on my rear tire on my way to the track. It took them two full hours to repair and remount the tire on the rim.

Their service manager told me he did 260kph in his 1992 V8 Audi on the 401. Everyone there was full of it.

Then they charged me $100 for the repair. I got to the track and then wound up replacing my rear tires anyway.:mad:

swbatte said:
Don't use CT for your provincial inspection.

I had to go to one for an emergency repair on my rear tire on my way to the track. It took them two full hours to repair and remount the tire on the rim.

Their service manager told me he did 260kph in his 1992 V8 Audi on the 401. Everyone there was full of it.

Then they charged me $100 for the repair. I got to the track and then wound up replacing my rear tires anyway.:mad:

I don't like crappy Tire for service - but for me they were great for the RIV - just show up with cool car, dumb service manager guy asks questions, tell him stuff like "Yeah child seat hook is in map pocket area so you can't see it" and he concludes that all he can do is look at the headlights.

Sure are dumb - and if you don't like how its going, or he won't accept paperwork, etc., just leave and come back next shift, or go to another CT!

Back