Importing a nsx from japan for race car

Hi guys,
Anyone know what the regulations, shipping costs and taxes for importing a nsx from Japan for racing purposes? Not to be road registered
Cheers

Last edited:
First thing that you need is a level 3 racing license, or a good friend who has one (mines expired). I have the paperwork at home but it's only a few thousand for shipping and minimal other costs. I imported a MR2 a few years ago for race only. Will post details tonight hopefully.

I think thats the old licence system.
now there is,
PC provisional curcuit
NC National curcuit
ICC International curcuit c
And so on.
No mention of a level 3 on the cams website.
I.ve sent an email to dotars and hopefully will find out soon what the requirements are.

Actually the licence regime follows this format -

Clubman Circuit [for state based racing, although it allows you to compete in a restricted number of National events.

National Circuit
International Historic Regularity
International Historic Racing
International Circuit A, B or C.

Then you have the Rally licences.

Finally you have the "Level 2 Speed" licences, which I believe would be enough to let you bring in an import, as "Speed Events" in most states are recognised as full CAMS events.

Link to webpage
http://cams.com.au/en/Forms/Competition_Licence_Forms.aspx

Hope that helps :)

Thanks sadlerau,
I've been looking at that site and its a little cofusing,
But what i can gather is i can apply for a Provisional circuit licence without having any racing experience.
I will contact cams tuesday and find out.
cheers

Last edited:
But what i can gather is i can apply for a Provisional circuit licence without having any racing experience.

We all have to start somewhere! :biggrin: But you would only opt for the circuit licence if you wanted to go circuit racing. If the exercise is about bringing in an NSX, then a Level 2 licence is a cheaper option - if it allows you to bring the car in.

Sprints are a better way of starting out in motor racing than full circuit racing, if your not sure whether it's for you.

I would be very surprised if they allow you to bring in a car on a 2S, they never used to. Mainly because you only need to fill out a form to get this and it can easily lead to illegitimate cars on the road. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
The next level up is what was always needed. This requires a bit of racing history to be eligible, as show in your log book. Not hard to get a few track days, a few hill climbs and you're there. <o:p></o:p>
Next is a weekend course to get you tested with a instructor in the car. They will push you to your limits with other cars on the track. You also have to do a race a year (or every second) to keep it. <o:p></o:p>
Very interested if they have changed the rules, if it's only Level 2S might get another racer...... <o:p></o:p>

Eckers here in WA we have a very strong Sprint Series, which has been going for many years. It is a very well run and regulated series and some entrants would have years of recorded history in competition all with only a L2 licence. So it would be interesting to see if it is sufficient?

Thats what i'm trying to find out from cams and dotars to no avail.
I need to know the parcipitation requirements and licence requirements.
I will be racing next year regardless whether or not i import a car.

Back