I'm now a NSX Owner!

I'm happy to say that I manged to find a NSX to my liking and I bought it last week. I've been super happy with it so far and I didn't even have to travel far to find it. I found it posted on Prime back in November and purchased it from Mike in Elk Grove through his friend John (HapaHaole). Here's the post: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...lack-Automatic-75K-milesVIN-JH4NA1262MT003107

The process was smooth and both John and Mike were a pleasure to work with. So if you see me cruising around between Sacramento and Folsom feel free to say hi.

Pictures I took over the weekend:

http://imgur.com/a/lXyLv

While I'm very happy with my purchase so far, I've had a few issues that I was hoping to get cleared up. Hopefully someone can answer my questions:

1) When I open the driver side door the lights don't turn on, but they do for the passenger side door. I didn't notice this before the sale but now it's pretty apparent to me when I'm out at night. Is this a simple fix?

2) I washed and waxed the car over the weekend and noticed that I now have condensation inside my left tailight. I'm assuming there's a gasket or something that's leaking. How much of a hassle is this going to take to fix? Is it a long term concern? I was thinking of eventually picking up some LED taillights so this might accelerate that process.

3) Twice now it's taken a little while to start the engine. However in general I haven't had any problems. Is this simply related to it being an older car or should I be more concerned about this? The PPI I got checked out clean.

4) There's some minor paintchips as you'd expect but then there are some larger ones on the underside leading edge of the spoiler. Is this common? What causes this? Is it because the car is so low rocks get over the roof?

5) Any good ideas for Vanity plates? One of my friends came up with "BCUZNSX" which I might end up going with unless someone has a better idea.

Thanks for reading and I'm glad to be part of the community now!

1) check the bulb - probably burnt out. Some people do a full LED swap out, which you may consider if you are going to be replacing a bulb anyways
2) Ya, gaskets & condensation is pretty popular. Try a search on the forum and see if you can find one of the many posts on it.
3) that is unusual, a NSX should startup like a Honda everytime. Might be an old battery?
4) pop up some photos of the chips and people may be able to comment on whether they are unusual or not. With 75,000+ mileage chips happen
5) do a search on the forum, some entertaining threads on that topic.

6) CONGRATS on the purchase!

1) check the bulb - probably burnt out. Some people do a full LED swap out, which you may consider if you are going to be replacing a bulb anyways
2) Ya, gaskets & condensation is pretty popular. Try a search on the forum and see if you can find one of the many posts on it.
3) that is unusual, a NSX should startup like a Honda everytime. Might be an old battery?
4) pop up some photos of the chips and people may be able to comment on whether they are unusual or not. With 75,000+ mileage chips happen
5) do a search on the forum, some entertaining threads on that topic.

6) CONGRATS on the purchase!

Thanks blue_myriddn. A couple of follow ups

1) it's the map lights that aren't turning on. I would assume those aren't related to the bulbs but some sort of switch of some sort.

3) That could be it. It's only happened twice so I'm not too worried yet. If it happens some more I'll worry about it.

ooooohhh - I thought you meant the light on the door itself. Ya, that sounds electrical. Good chance there is a fuse diagram around this site somewhere or some of the electric gurus can chime in.

Congrats DopeScope,

Your car looks really nice, as does the BRZ, is that a friend of yours or your other toy? (many members on here have more than a few nice rides)

3) I have had very minor start up-issues when starting my NSX hot (only seconds or minutes after shutting her down). I've never had this issue when cold. Usually the 2nd attempt turning over when hot starts her up as per usual. My air filter is also filthy, I suspect this may be the reason for the ignition hesitation, check your air filter.

4) I would be sceptical of a rock making it back there over the car (while no impossible). I would suspect if traveling at a decent speed, the rock would fly clear over the car after nicking the front bumper, hood, windshield EEEKK. I suspect this photo describes what is more likely the cause of your spoiler chips. Small rocks coming up from the rear (over a gravel or messy road?).

Mine's got over 120K miles, original point, and the spoiler doesn't have those chips from what I remember. I'm not sure if this is a normal characteristic of the cars, so it might have just been a wild gravel ride at speed by the previous owner. All in all, NBD in my opinion, and don't expect there to be more with time.

5) I've had quite a wild time coming up with some NSX vanity plates, assuming you can fit 8 characters, here are some ideas I came up with, the rest is up to you: WHOSNSXT (Who's next), NSXT LVL (Next Level), NSXDREAM/NSXTREME (obvious)

Good luck and welcome!

Lucas

Last edited:
Nice one dopescope. I'm new myself but never had the chance to introduce myself. I live in Elk Grove but never seen you. Mines berlina black. As for your car not starting up, I had the same problem. It might be your cap&rotor from the distributor and may need new plug wires. I switched mine and everything's good now. And for your vanity plate you might like "DOPENSX"... That's all you.. Any how if I catch you I'll say whats up.

congrats on the car.

#3. I would check the main relay behind the seat. Do a search and you will know this is a known problem. Either re-solder or buy a new one.

Congrats! Love the 02+ wheels. I think you're the 2nd person this month to acquire an NSX in the Sac area.

As for your car not starting up, I had the same problem. It might be your cap&rotor from the distributor and may need new plug wires.

Our cars have coil packs so the above doesn't apply

How about "1 of 64" for your plate. Automatics were rare in 91.

My nsx had a hesitation to start if it was warm. I replaced the main relay and haven't had a issue since. It's not a hard fix at all.

Congrats on the new purchase!!

I too have a auto nsx black on black. 1 of 75 in 91.

I'm not sure if it's been done recently but I had all the regular stuff done on mine after purchase. TB/WP etc.
since it's a auto I had a trans fluid change as well.

Good luck with your issues and enjoy your NSX

For your tail light fogging issue you can do what I did. I carefully drilled a couple small holes at the very bottom of each light careful not to drill into the second layer of the lens. I used a Dremel with a 3/32 drill bit. This will allow air to flow through and gives the condensation a way to drain. It's not noticeable and I did it on my 91 as well as my current NSX and never had foggy tail lights again. Now if the water is getting into the trunk then you will need to replace the gaskets.

Attachments

• 20140319_224208[1].jpg
    20140319_224208[1].jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 330
Congrats on the purchase! I was actually the buyer who was behind you if you didn't pull the trigger. =P.

Hope to join you in the club soon. =)

Thanks guys for all the advice.

Seems like my light issue is a result of my door switch. Guess I'll have a couple of things to be fixing this weekend.

Edit:

Does anyone know anything about replacing the door switch? The service manual only details the trunk latch switch but nothing about the door switch. Do I need to replace the entire lock assembly or is there a specific piece I could buy? Also, if I replace the lock assembly does that mean I'll need a new key? TIA

Last edited:
Congrats on your purchase...and welcome to the NSX family. Concerning the chip on the leading edge of your spoiler, I got one on a long road trip I took last Spring. Can't confirm what it came from, but I was visiting National Parks along the way and did a lot of back road and highway driving (6,822 miles in 16 days to be exact).

Dave

1) When I open the driver side door the lights don't turn on, but they do for the passenger side door. I didn't notice this before the sale but now it's pretty apparent to me when I'm out at night. Is this a simple fix?

2) I washed and waxed the car over the weekend and noticed that I now have condensation inside my left tailight. I'm assuming there's a gasket or something that's leaking. How much of a hassle is this going to take to fix? Is it a long term concern? I was thinking of eventually picking up some LED taillights so this might accelerate that process.

3) Twice now it's taken a little while to start the engine. However in general I haven't had any problems. Is this simply related to it being an older car or should I be more concerned about this? The PPI I got checked out clean.

4) There's some minor paintchips as you'd expect but then there are some larger ones on the underside leading edge of the spoiler. Is this common? What causes this? Is it because the car is so low rocks get over the roof?

5) Any good ideas for Vanity plates? One of my friends came up with "BCUZNSX" which I might end up going with unless someone has a better idea.

Thanks for reading and I'm glad to be part of the community now!

Congratulations on your car, may you have many years of fun with it.

as for your questions

1: Never had the issue, but i would look into the pin or whatever else would trigger the lights to come on. may be broken or stuck (i have not seen my car since november so i cant recall where it is off my head)

2: You can do the tiny holes, or buy new gaskets from a vendor and see if it helps.

3: I believe Main Relay as well. the solder inside gets hot and cold and eventually cracks. when its hot sometimes will cause a double to triple cranking length (as opposed to say one or two turns and it starts to 4 or 6 turns for it to start) Also not a bad idea to replay anyway if you dont know when it was done last. easy and low cost maintenance.

4: previous onwer (over the last 23 years) may have had a ring and would open or close the lid by grabbing that part?

5: thats a personal preference... but how many letters can you have in your state?

Hey I just picked up my car up this month too. Seems like there are a few of us here near Sac. Maybe do a meet on day.
Love your 02 wheels. Sell them to me please :) j/k

Back