I'm in a dilemma, help!

Looked at a 97 NSX. 62k miles, and asking price of 39,900.00. Very nice looking, clean engine, and the owner had all its service at a local Acura dealer, paperwork shown and all. My last request was to have it looked at by another mechanic. Looks like he found the car had bottomed out, repainted, needs new clutch down the line, and a couple leaks, other than that he said the car was in great shape. Total will be roughly 4,500.00 in service. The owner found it odd due to the fact that he pretty much keeps his car up to par. Now, here's my dilemma, he's pretty firm on the price given he's gone about 2k below Kelly BB. What should I do? Take it and deal with the stuff that eventually needs to be done, or pass on it. Thing is, it's a 97. Not too many of those popping up locally at this price, Help!

Bat™

I agree the price seems pretty low, so if the car checks out I would pay that for it. A clutch "down the line" is what all of us face :biggrin: .
Was the whole car repainted? If so, why? (I may have misread your post)
Any pics???

I wouldn't worry about the bottoming out. I think that took place when the car cleared a gap where a bridge was out on route 95. It was only like a 50 foot gap or so...just kidding :biggrin: Sounds like a good deal at ~40k

FuryNSX said:
By bottoming out, I'm assuming that scuffing was found, correct? Any damage from that? And what kind of leaks?

Here's what Jerry from Greenlight found:

needs new clutch soon $4,400
clutch master $400
cam seal leaking, VC gaskets leaking with cam plugs $600
car has been repainted
car has been hit under
ant mast $150

so what do you think? Should I still get it for the asking price?

Bat™

Blue Batmobile said:
Here's what Jerry from Greenlight found:

needs new clutch soon $4,400
clutch master $400
cam seal leaking, VC gaskets leaking with cam plugs $600
car has been repainted
car has been hit under
ant mast $150

so what do you think? Should I still get it for the asking price?

Bat™

OH hell no. Find a clean car with lower miles for 45K and call it a day.

Send me $4400 for clutch replacement. I will then send you to the local Acura dealer to have the clutch replaced. I will pay for the entire bill for the clutch and labor. :biggrin:

As far as the clutch goes, it doesnt need to be replaced right away. I spoke with FuryNSX a while ago and he made some good points. The clutch would eventually need to be replaced, and the leaks taken care of as well, basically wear and tear items. He's gonna run a check to see if the car was ever in an accident. I'll keep you guys posted.

Bat™

The only thing that scares me on your list is the repaint, and not because it has been repainted, but rather WHY it has been repainted. The other items are pretty insignificant, aside from the clutch, and there are less expensive clutch options. I personally think I will convert mine to the 91-96 (and late model Type R) clutch when mine bites the dust, or go with the SPEC or similat ones that can be bought and installed for about $2100-$2300 total.

Looks like the front and rear bumper was repainted. The owner is taking it to the Acura dealer tomorrow to have the issues Jerry found addressed. I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime, I looked at a 91 NSX with 50k on it. Really clean, it's getting checked out today as well. Asking price is 33k.

Bat™

Gonna make my decision this weekend. Between a 91 with 50k, selling for 30k. Great shape with some minor issues. Or 97 with 62k some issues resolved selling for 39,900.00. Pluses for the 91, black interior for me, price and milage. Negaitives, doesn't have all the refinements the 97 has plus no targa on tyhe 91. Pluses for the 97, Targa! all the refinements the 91 doesnt have. Negatives, tan interior, issue regarding underbody being hit, 62k miles vs 50k on the 91. Almost 10k more in price. Gonna sleep on it tonight. Your input is appreciated ;).

Bat™

It depends on what do you plan to do with the car. If the 91 in not in snap ring range, and has had timing belt/water pump done(i.e. all maintenance is up to date) then I would most likely opt for the 91. This is partially because I prefer the rigidity of the coupe, and I prefer the manual steering on the 91--96's. Also, 91-96's have more mods available.

Good luck.

steveny said:
Send me $4400 for clutch replacement. I will then send you to the local Acura dealer to have the clutch replaced. I will pay for the entire bill for the clutch and labor. :biggrin:

Remember it is a 1997:), Flywheel $2000+

There are some options:)

HTH,
LarryB

91-94, 95-96, 97-01, 02-05 are the basic groups in my mind.
It sounds like you prefer the 97-01. If that's the case I would pass on one that's been hit & repainted. If you only want to spend $40k you may have to be willing to accept a car with issues. Or spend more for a non issue car.
One more thing to keep in mind, a negative to one person is a positive to another. :biggrin: I went strictly after a 91-94 coupe with a non black int.
For many reasons. But these are personal preferences.
If I were you, I would decide what I really want 1st.
Then scour the earth for that car.

NSXLuvr said:
It depends on what do you plan to do with the car. If the 91 in not in snap ring range, and has had timing belt/water pump done(i.e. all maintenance is up to date) then I would most likely opt for the 91. This is partially because I prefer the rigidity of the coupe, and I prefer the manual steering on the 91--96's. Also, 91-96's have more mods available.

Good luck.

Timing belt, water pump were replaced on both cars. The 91 also had the clutch replaced, the 97 will need it done soon. No snap ring issue on the 91 according to the trans #. Plans, drop, wheels and bodykit. I dont plan on trading up for whatever car I decide, I'll keep that one for a good long time.

Bat™

Get the '91 for the $30K range. I have a 95 and love the targa but honestly don't take it off much. By the time your are making these cars apples to apples you will have closer to a $15K spread. For that amount of money, you can take the lower mileage '91 and do a LOT of mods if you so desire (CTSC, headers, wheels, body kit, etc) and still have less in it. Or conversely, just take the extra $15K and do something responsible with it (529 for the kids if applicable, IRA, etc.). I've spent around $30K on an early '90s car and have spent around $40K on the current '95 and my $0.02 is at the end of the day you are driving a great car -the NSX. Get the '91!

Back