I'm being drawn to NSX's....

I'm a long time car nut and have WAY too many car projects going on all the time, mostly BMW stuff. I park next to a guy at work that drives a '91 NSX and I'm starting to REALLY like the idea of owning one someday. Maybe soon, maybe a little later, not sure.

My general question is; what should I look for in an NSX? Buyer's guide stuff I suppose. I don't have the money to buy a newer one, so I'll be looking at the early years. I'm also not afraid of buying something that needs work, high mileage car, wrecked, blown motor/tranny, anything. I have two restorations going on now and have good contacts for all aspects of rebuilding, fixing, etc.

I'm in northern CA, so if you have any advice I'd appreciate it.

Dan
Sacramento

I am also a BMW owner...and welcome to club. Learn about the NSX and see if that will satisfy you....if it does, you can make it official by buying one. :D

Casper91 said:
Dan,
We have a few BMW's that tag along on our runs. All I can say is that they are very different cars. You will not be disappointed. :biggrin:

I help a friend put on HPDE events at the three northern CA tracks and see NSX's all the time. As I get more serious I guess I should ask to go for a ride in one. I keep hearing that they're "different" than your typical refined performance street/track car. Is this because of they're rear engine design? What would you compare them to?

Dan

dang said:
I help a friend put on HPDE events at the three northern CA tracks and see NSX's all the time. As I get more serious I guess I should ask to go for a ride in one. I keep hearing that they're "different" than your typical refined performance street/track car. Is this because of they're rear engine design? What would you compare them to?

Dan

Hi Dan,

The NSX is mid engine car. It is touted as the only Japanese exotic car. I would think the closest comparison would be a Ferrari 355, primarily due to their mid engine design layouts. I would venture to say the NSX is 90% of the Ferrari's performance at half the price. However, the Ferrari is a whole lot sexier, but very expensive to maintain. I think the same can be said about women. :)

You definitely should take one for a drive to see you like it. Good luck.

Last edited:
dang said:
I keep hearing that they're "different" than your typical refined performance street/track car. Is this because of they're rear engine design? What would you compare them to?

Dan

As mentioned by Cerberus, the F355 is the closest competitor in terms of the overall experience.

For me, the NSX experience is a combination of feel and sound. Feel is largely a matter of steering communication and the overall solidity of the car. Sound is largely a matter of having the engine and intake behind you.

I am also a BMW enthusiast and former/future owner. There is nothing BMW currently offers that makes me want to get rid of my NSX, although I certainly would like to own the NSX and an E39 M5 (assuming I don't go C4S instead, and even then I would not get rid of the NSX).

brahtw8 said:
As mentioned by Cerberus, the F355 is the closest competitor in terms of the overall experience.

For me, the NSX experience is a combination of feel and sound. Feel is largely a matter of steering communication and the overall solidity of the car. Sound is largely a matter of having the engine and intake behind you.

I am also a BMW enthusiast and former/future owner. There is nothing BMW currently offers that makes me want to get rid of my NSX, although I certainly would like to own the NSX and an E39 M5 (assuming I don't go C4S instead, and even then I would not get rid of the NSX).

The C4S is a real nice car. I almost bought one before my previous 996 turbo. I love the turbo flares, brakes, wheels and etc. In fact, I think the NA engine is more driveable versus the turbo. However, you can't beat the feeling when on boost! By the way, what is a clean 02-03 C4S going for nowadays? Or are you considering the 993 C4S?

CerberusM5 said:
The C4S is a real nice car. I almost bought one before my previous 996 turbo. I love the turbo flares, brakes, wheels and etc. In fact, I think the NA engine is more driveable versus the turbo. However, you can't beat the feeling when on boost! By the way, what is a clean 02-03 C4S going for nowadays? Or are you considering the 993 C4S?

I am looking 996, but fairly long term. I'd like to buy for low 50s next summer (2006) after the 997 C4S and/or Turbo are out.

The cheapest I have seen a 996 C4S was $57k. Most of the 2002s and 2003s are in the $65-70k range. Right now, I think you could get a decent 2002 or 2003, with minimal options, for low 60s, and a nicely optioned car for mid to high 60s.

I am also interested in the 996 TT, particularly since there are several cars for sale for less than $70k on autotrader, but I prefer the rear end treatment of the C4S.

My only problem with the C4S (and really the 996 in general) is that it is not a raw sports car. I wouldn't buy it to replace the NSX, but rather to act as a daily driver to replace my TL.

I have always liked the 993 as well, but I'd probably go 993 TT rather than C4S, as the 993 C4S is pretty outgunned these days with only 282 hp. (I know that seems strange coming from an NSX owner . . .)

Back