IL- No front Plate Legislation

Just when I thought the world became a better place with the tint legislation. Now this.

SPRINGFIELD -- Drivers in Illinois would only be required to have one license plate on their vehicle, under legislation pending in the Illinois House.

The proposed law would require drivers to have one license plate in the rear of their vehicle, changing the current law that requires license plates in both the front and back of a registered vehicle.

State Rep. Jerry Mitchell, R-Sterling, said he is sponsoring the measure because it would save the state $1 million a year.

"Every little bit helps," he said.

Both the Illinois State Police and the Secretary of State's office, which oversees license plate assignments and distribution, are opposed to the proposed law.

Scott Compton, spokesperson for the state police, said the presence of front license plates give police officers another opportunity to identify vehicles.

Compton noted that sometimes physical descriptions of cars can be misleading, leaving the license plate the "tell-tale factor" when it comes to locating the correct vehicle.

Henry Haupt, spokesperson for the Secretary of State, said the department supports the state police's position and wants to "make certain that law enforcement has the tools to do their job properly."

Haupt said the cost to make a set of license plates is $2.59. The cost to make a single license plate would be reduced to $1.99, as the cost of labor outweighs the cost of aluminum, he said.

Currently, 19 states don't require a front license plate, including Indiana, Kentucky and Michigan.

Indiana stopped requiring two license plates in 1943 because of a metal shortage during World War II.

Kentucky also has a similar law in the books. Lieutenant David Jude said he understands how extra license plates could help police officers track vehicles. But he was hesitant to say the Kentucky law has hindered police in his state.

The legislation is House Bill 4888.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...8?OpenDocument

here is how to keep track of it:
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bil...0&DocTypeID=HB&LegId=49360&SessionID=76&GA=96

Good luck with that. IL SPOL and SOS Police have such strong influence in your state. Ohio requires front lic plate.... man it sure breaks up the front of our NSX's - not for the better. MI does not require it and I remind myself how fortunate we are, often.

Fingers crossed for you! Time to write all your House members about HB 4888.

Hope this passes. After 7 years of driving my S2000 without one I got nabbed on the way home from work. Officer gave me a warning and then proceeded to give me a ticket for my tints. Cost of ticket was $75.

Hope this passes. After 7 years of driving my S2000 without one I got nabbed on the way home from work. Officer gave me a warning and then proceeded to give me a ticket for my tints. Cost of ticket was $75.

When was this? You know that 35% tint is now legal? I know at least 3 ppl who have successfully pleaded not guilty. I do hear about quite a bit of police officers still issuing tickets.

It's that old my time is worth more than $75. I hate dealing with the judicial system.

I have a nephew that has been in court three times now for a seat belt / no insurance offense. Every time he goes to court one of the attorneys is asking for a continuance.

It's that old my time is worth more than $75. I hate dealing with the judicial system.

I have a nephew that has been in court three times now for a seat belt / no insurance offense. Every time he goes to court one of the attorneys is asking for a continuance.

I hear ya. I just hope cops stop issuing tickets for something that is now legal.

Actions
<TABLE border=1 cellSpacing=0 borderColor=black cellPadding=2 width=600><TBODY><TR><TD class=whiteheading bgColor=navy width="13%" align=middle>Date</TD><TD class=whiteheading bgColor=navy width="12%" align=middle>Chamber</TD><TD class=whiteheading bgColor=navy width="75%" align=left> Action</TD></TR><TR><TD class=content vAlign=top width="13%" align=right> 1/13/2010</TD><TD class=content vAlign=top width="12%" align=middle>House</TD><TD class=content vAlign=top width="75%" align=left>Filed with the Clerk by Rep. Jerry L. Mitchell</TD></TR><TR><TD class=content vAlign=top width="13%" align=right> 1/15/2010</TD><TD class=content vAlign=top width="12%" align=middle>House</TD><TD class=content vAlign=top width="75%" align=left>First Reading</TD></TR><TR><TD class=content vAlign=top width="13%" align=right> 1/15/2010</TD><TD class=content vAlign=top width="12%" align=middle>House</TD><TD class=content vAlign=top width="75%" align=left>Referred to Rules Committee</TD></TR><TR><TD class=content vAlign=top width="13%" align=right> 1/26/2010</TD><TD class=content vAlign=top width="12%" align=middle>House</TD><TD class=content vAlign=top width="75%" align=left>Added Chief Co-Sponsor Rep. Chapin Rose</TD></TR><TR><TD class=content vAlign=top width="13%" align=right> 1/29/2010</TD><TD class=content vAlign=top width="12%" align=middle>House</TD><TD class=content vAlign=top width="75%" align=left>Fiscal Note Filed</TD></TR><TR><TD class=content vAlign=top width="13%" align=right> 2/3/2010</TD><TD class=content vAlign=top width="12%" align=middle>House</TD><TD class=content vAlign=top width="75%" align=left>Assigned to Vehicles & Safety Committee</TD></TR><TR><TD class=content vAlign=top width="13%" align=right> 2/3/2010</TD><TD class=content vAlign=top width="12%" align=middle>House</TD><TD class=content vAlign=top width="75%" align=left>Added Chief Co-Sponsor Rep. Donald L. Moffitt</TD></TR><TR><TD class=content vAlign=top width="13%" align=right> 2/3/2010</TD><TD class=content vAlign=top width="12%" align=middle>House</TD><TD class=content vAlign=top width="75%" align=left>Added Chief Co-Sponsor Rep. Sidney H. Mathias</TD></TR><TR><TD class=content vAlign=top width="13%" align=right> 2/10/2010</TD><TD class=content vAlign=top width="12%" align=middle>House</TD><TD class=content vAlign=top width="75%" align=left>Motion Do Pass - Lost Vehicles & Safety Committee; 002-004-000</TD></TR><TR><TD class=content vAlign=top width="13%" align=right> 2/10/2010</TD><TD class=content vAlign=top width="12%" align=middle>House</TD><TD class=content vAlign=top width="75%" align=left>Remains in Vehicles & Safety Committee</TD></TR><TR><TD class=content vAlign=top width="13%" align=right> 3/15/2010</TD><TD class=content vAlign=top width="12%" align=middle>House</TD><TD class=content vAlign=top width="75%" align=left>Rule 19(a) / Re-referred to Rules Committee</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

At least they are still TALKING about it.. thats something... kinda sorta something... not really... why does nothing good ever get passed ? LOL

Back