Ignition Key corrosion

Has anyone experienced corrosion on their main ignition key? Mine has rust-like blotches under the surface coating and no longer looks good. I first noticed the problem after I moved to the Houston area last spring. My garage is not climate controlled so the humidity here may have been the culprit. Given the cost of a new blank, would refinishing the key be an option? The car is a '91.

I'm in Houston and have never had any problems with corrosion on any of my cars.
Just FYI, I believe I saw someone selling a blank silver metal key on Ebay for $75 I think? I'm not sure what a discount retailing would sell them for. Might be a good replacement.
Good Luck
Z

ps - We are neighbors! I'm right on the boarder of SugarLand and Houston. :)

When the chrome wears off a standard key the base metal is brass a yellowish color. Is the key you are talking about a standard black plastic handle key or a all silver key. Are you seeing the brass or does the rust rub off?

Thanks for the responses, FoYoAss and BrianK. I found a solution. With some effort, rubbing compound removed the rust-like discoloration. The key is the monel (?) one embossed with NSX, not the secondary key with the plastic cover. I still have no idea what caused the problem.

Back