If Honda isn't making the next NSX, can't they at least make an engine?

if Honda isn't making the next generation NSX, that's fine, but can't they at least become an engine supplier for other exotics?

why did Honda declined to build an engine for Lotus Exige and McLaren F1? :confused:
I really think they missed good opportunities.

I heard McLaren is making another sportscar so it would be awesome if Honda could build an engine for them...even tho it won't be an NSX, it would still be better than nothing. Same with Lotus. I'm sure other European sportscar manufactures would want to have a Honda engine in their cars too.

I know McLaren might be too expensive for a lot of people, but Honda could build an engine for cheaper cars too.
If Lotus Evora was powered by Honda, I bet a lot of NSX fans and owners would give serious considerations buying it. The Exige or Elise would have been better cars if they were powered by Honda's 4cyl engine that can rev up to 9,000rpm or potentially higher.

I have also noticed that as far as I know, Honda never shares engine or cars with other companies. Like, 3000GT/Stealth, Matrix/Vibe, Corolla/Prizm, Quest/Villager, Ranger/B-Series, etc...why is that??

edit: ok I did my research and Isuzu Aska was rebadged Accord.

Last edited:
Honda's sportscar priorities are on the back burner (or even behind that). Seems like their timing is always off, too - e.g. S2000 shows up more than 10 years after Miata; producing their own SUV took forever; still don't have a luxury car to compete with the Lexus LS; no production engine greater than 6 cylinders ; and the funniest (or saddest) is that they could've won this year's F1 championship if their engines were pretty reliable, as the development poured into the chassis over the past year has paid off big time.

The Evora looks like a kit car, and Lotus already has major differential problems with the Elises. Who wants to partner with that british crappola anyway? They blew it big by not building a V12 in the early 90s for McLaren, IMO ; and with not really any concrete plans of producing their own sportscar I'm sure they're not interested in providing power for P11, P8, or whatever.

Sure would suck being an engineer for them. "I've worked on the F1 engine program, also on the F20C, and my next assignments will be the next CRV and some Civic/hybrid-based $hitboxes." :thumbsdown:

well, you do have to remember that honda makes all engines for the IRL, very nice v8 platforms. it is too bad these engines will never make their way to production...

also, honda makes very sweet engines for their ALMS cars, v8's also, but sadly they will never see production either.

the Honda IRL engines:
3.5L N/A
rev limited to 10,500RPM for IRL
~650hp
dry sump oiling system
6-speed sequential manual paddle operated box

that would be sick to see in an NSX...

Last edited:
Back