I went to look at another 91 NSX today

Got a call late last night about a 91 red NSX for sale a couple of hours away. I called the guy, he was a car dealer that bought it from a dealer that took it in on trade. This guy says he sold it to the guy back in the day, so he knows the car. 91, red, 58K, aftermarket 18's, aftermarket radio w/missing passenger sub footwell sub-box and carpet. carbonfiber console kit. Ivory interior w/bad bolster. He said the rest was perfect.
So I get up this morning and push everything aside and away I go. Get to the car and look at the top black paint is trashed like somebody sat some stuff on the roof that ate away the paint in lil spots here and there. spare missing, toolkit missing, left fender inner liner completly missing w/the lip of the fender havind a lil bend in it where the inner bolts up. missing the lower front rubber valiance, all lid/trunk lift shocks bad, quite a few little knicks and scratches around. When I started it it felt a lil rough inside, I figure motor mounts. Sounds like it may have a small miss to it but so did the other one I looked at the other day, maybe thats just what they feel like.
It is in snapring range. He says the PO said he had the tranny updated(his words) he would call the dealer on Monday and get the paperwork.
price is 25k, which to me was fine untill I looked at it and all the other issues came to light that he failed to mention even though I asked him. Also the car has a new recent clutch installed because it was a 25 kid driving the car and modding it.(no age flaming plz) I told him I would think about it but I'm 90% against. I'm so sorry no pics. I even brought the dig camaera but when I walked up to it and saw the bad roof paint I was instantly pissed off and not thinking about pics anymore.
Please tell me what you all think. Am I a fool for not buying a 58k 91 for 25K?
BTW: Be glad you don't live here with all these damn Lovebugs. Look what they did to my car today on the drive!

Attachments

• gmc hauler1710 creed928 311 (Small).jpg
    gmc hauler1710 creed928 311 (Small).jpg
    68 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Yep...lovebugs are a pain in the a$$.
I'd pass on that car unless you plan on a project. Sounds like an abused NSX. Hope you find the right one, and pm me when you do, I'll meet up for a drive. Not to many owners here in the great state of La.

Doesn't sound like a good one. Wait for one thats been taken care of.

Nice 928 though.

Sorry you are either going to be waiting forever to find a nice NSX for under 30k with low mileage....most clean well taken care of and low mileage 91 and up nsxs will go for 30k+.......if you look at the faq there is a chart of what a clean NSX will go for........I paid almost 40K for my 91 with 24k miles.........the only option you have if you want a clean one at that price is that the car will have high miles but was maintained and taken care of...
(garaged, maintained properly, and the owner is anal about the car like me)............

Look here for price reference
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/pricing.htm

You will see most cars at 25k are at best you will get a C or D grade car.

My friend Simon has a nice black one for sale close to 28 or 29k with 162000 miles. He also has a lot of goodies on the car thats why he is selling at that price otherwise he can part it out and sell it stock for cheaper.

Here are some clean described NSX's .......for sale

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76007

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75998 <---I know this car...pretty clean typical normal wear of front bumper being chipped.....

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75893<---- high mileage but clean looking and 2002 conversion

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72184 <----- I know this car too.....clean and taken care of with high mileage I was referring to.......nice guy also

FYI----I bought my car from Missouri from a brokeage and I did not go see it in person....the good thing is that if it wasnt as it was represented in the pics, and from talking to the salesman then I'd I have 30 days to return the car. I would just be out of my $1250 for trucking it over.

http://www.premiercars.com/Inventory <----They will usually have one for sale but they don't have any currently.

Good luck....remember most NSX's under 30K are usually either clean with high mileage, low mileage but needs a lot of work, or salvage title. But there are always exception to the rule......such as guy needs money bad so he sells his clean low mileage NSX for cheap, divorce sale/settlement, etc etc.

Keep looking...you don't want to buy something that someone didn't have enough respect for it to take care of it. There WILL be others!

Think about it this way...if you buy in haste, someday another will come along that was everything you wanted and it will be too late then.

Greg Z,

Man you are doing the right thing, keep looking and going and see them. Sorry that it was all in haste, but you are learning about these cars and the people that are trying to sell them. By the way, what did the auction car sell for?

Funny that the salesman says that the car is in great shape and lo and behold you show up and say "I Just can't seem to find the car you were talking about, is THAT the NSX that you were telling me about?". I did that with an airplane once a long time ago.

If an NSX has been maintained and the owner has records, DON'T BE AFRAID OF MILES!!!!! Look at the car and see what you are getting. Low miles doesn't always mean that you are getting a good car. A lot of people are willing to pay a lot of money for low miles. I know Hondas and miles don't scare me, if the car has been maintained.

I purchased a 86 Honda Accord LXi with 160K, well maintained, drove it for 36K and 3 years. Sold it for what I paid for it, but continued the "well maintained". My daughter purchased a 95 Honda Accord LX in '02 with 155k, well maintained, put 50k miles on it, and a lot of teen-age dents, no mechanical problems. Sold it cheep, too much body damage, still the new owner was impressed with the mechanical condition. My wife's 92 Accord SE has 165k and doing quiet well, purchased with 60K. These cars are designed to go the distance.

Don't get in a hurry, get your wife to fix you a drink and relax, or whatever she does to calm you down. :rolleyes:

Keep the storys coming, they are great here in Afghanistan,

Brad

Hey BIG D,

I see that you are from Temecula. I get all (95%) of my parts from Mike Cobian at Norm Reeves Acura Parts Department there in Temecula. If you don't know him, stop and see him. He is the greatest.

Brad

OLDMNSX said:
Greg Z,

Man you are doing the right thing, keep looking and going and see them. Sorry that it was all in haste, but you are learning about these cars and the people that are trying to sell them. By the way, what did the auction car sell for?

Funny that the salesman says that the car is in great shape and lo and behold you show up and say "I Just can't seem to find the car you were talking about, is THAT the NSX that you were telling me about?". I did that with an airplane once a long time ago.

If an NSX has been maintained and the owner has records, DON'T BE AFRAID OF MILES!!!!! Look at the car and see what you are getting. Low miles doesn't always mean that you are getting a good car. A lot of people are willing to pay a lot of money for low miles. I know Hondas and miles don't scare me, if the car has been maintained.

I purchased a 86 Honda Accord LXi with 160K, well maintained, drove it for 36K and 3 years. Sold it for what I paid for it, but continued the "well maintained". My daughter purchased a 95 Honda Accord LX in '02 with 155k, well maintained, put 50k miles on it, and a lot of teen-age dents, no mechanical problems. Sold it cheep, too much body damage, still the new owner was impressed with the mechanical condition. My wife's 92 Accord SE has 165k and doing quiet well, purchased with 60K. These cars are designed to go the distance.

Don't get in a hurry, get your wife to fix you a drink and relax, or whatever she does to calm you down. :rolleyes:

Keep the storys coming, they are great here in Afghanistan,

Brad

Thank-you Brad,
The only bad thing about shopping for an NSX is that its exspensive and very time consuming. At this point I wish I was shopping an Acoord because then I could find 10 in the area and then pick 1. Instead I'm running around the countryside. And yes Brad, I agree with you on the mileage issue.
EDIDDYNSX pegged it, I've been looking for low mileage. But at the same time I am on a ("justifiable to me and my wife for spending 30K on a 15 yr old car BUDGET"). My reason is so in a few years or so the car will still be worth what I paid for it. That is my main argument with the wife that it is not going down in value anymore. I'm scared if I buy something with say, 150K in only 3 yrs it will have about 200K, then what will it be worth????
Even though this one is out of budet it has been my screen saver fo 3 weeks.
It represents closley what I really want.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55322
What would I really like to have if possible?
3.2L 6sp
red
lowered
black and polished rims 19/18
exhaust
Targa of course
and to be absoultly perfect!
oh, & a wings west lower kit would be nice.
Plz tell me what you all think about the 97 in the link I pasted?

Walk away from that 91. Keep doing what you're already doing: looking and be patient. When you find the right NSX for you, time spent and frustration lived will make it all so much more worth it. I spent 15 months looking for mine. Ended up getting it for the price I wanted and have been very happy with it. Just keep faith that your NSX is out there. Good luck !

Looks like it's in good shape.
Has timing belt/water pump ben done?

OLDMNSX said:
Hey BIG D,

I see that you are from Temecula. I get all (95%) of my parts from Mike Cobian at Norm Reeves Acura Parts Department there in Temecula. If you don't know him, stop and see him. He is the greatest.

Brad

I haven't met Mike at Norm Reeves yet, but I'm sure I will soon.

Thanks

That is a clean one and has a lot of goodies on it so it would be a steal for that price assuming its never been in an accident or repainted from an accident. 97 and up usually go for 40s and up........I am just trying to help you here and to be realistic.....anyone with a nice clean car knows the value of it and will sell it for what its worth and they are usually firm on the price....unless they need money desperately or something else comes up and you get lucky. So remember you get what pay for.......high mileage is ok if its been maintained plus if you rebuild the motor then the mileage starts over essentially........you should call Jon Martin if you have any questions.......good luck and I hope you get your car.

Jon Martin-Service Director, designer of the stroker motor for NSX
Cerritos Acura
562-402-5281
Mon-Fri 9am-5pm pacific time

Amazing, but in a small way this car came back into my life.
RE-CAP:
went to Bation Rouge to look at it a few months ago. Seller was a Car Dealer and wanted 25K. car had bad paint on roof(very small spots, but...), cut ivory pass. carpet, missing left front wheelwell, missing lower black chin spoiler, bolster worn, aftermarket radio and cheesy carbon fiber, slight scratches all around, IMO cheesy rims, snapring range, none of the lids struts on car worked.

For some crazy reason I did not go to the auction today in Laffayette and I get a call from a buddy telling me about an NSX. I quickly figured it was the one I had looked at. I told him to buy it for 22K and I would fix the faults and sell it.
Another dealer from here got a call from his buddy also and knows nothing about NSX's and told buddy to bid up to 27K for him. Needless to say I did not get it, it went for 24.5K. I was kinda dissapointed, thought it would be cool to have a red one also, even for a short time untill I sold it. Other dealer thinks he stole it, I personally think he is in for a surprise. I'm sure I will see it around so I'll get pictures then, and scope out to see if the selling dealer fixed any of those faults I had found.

steveny said:
I will swap you all your love bugs year round for all my road salt for just the month of February.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Back